Australia tour of West Indies March-April 2011/12

Yes that was indeed a sitter!! Australia have made a cautious start and I still feel 160 is a mediocre total from what West Indies were and Australia will chase this down :D

BTW where is Bishoo? He was looking West Indies best spinner and then suddenly is no where seen?

On the bench. Even when the Aussies struggled against Narine the WI chose to leave out their best spin bowler and had 2 batsman in the middle order who probably didn't score 100 runs combined in the 5 ODIs.

Hopefully Bishoo comes back for the Test series. He deserves better then to be dropped after being the WI best bowler over the year. But I am not surprised they did the same thing to Kemar Roach after he started his career. By they I mean Gibson.

West Indies really needs to sort out their selection issue, West Indies have great talent and are capable of winning matches, thing they need is MOTIVATION and SKILL to execute a match which is surely in their favor.

For me few people need to get out of the team asap.

This would ideally be the West Indies XI for me for all formats

Chris Gayle/Adrian Barath
J Charles (Looks good so far)
Sarwan
Bravo
Chanderpaul/Russel for ODI's
Bravo
Pollard for ODI's and T20 and Samuels for Tests
Baugh for sure
Edwards
Bishoo/Narine (Both could be played on home conditions in ODI's and T20's)
Roach
Rampaul

but Sammy unfortunately fits in and wastes.

----------

3 runs from Samuels over and its almost game set, here comes the self belief and motivation a captain needs to provide that they will win this match. Sammy does not provide that imo

West Indies really needs to sort out their selection issue, West Indies have great talent and are capable of winning matches, thing they need is MOTIVATION and SKILL to execute a match which is surely in their favor.

For me few people need to get out of the team asap.

This would ideally be the West Indies XI for me for all formats

Chris Gayle/Adrian Barath
J Charles (Looks good so far)
Sarwan
Bravo
Chanderpaul/Russel for ODI's
Bravo
Pollard for ODI's and T20 and Samuels for Tests
Baugh for sure
Edwards
Bishoo/Narine (Both could be played on home conditions in ODI's and T20's)
Roach
Rampaul

but Sammy unfortunately fits in and wastes.

----------

3 runs from Samuels over and its almost game set, here comes the self belief and motivation a captain needs to provide that they will win this match. Sammy does not provide that imo

Honestly I would rather have Darren Sammy then Dwayne Bravo. Bravo has completely fallen of with all the injuries he has had and he hasn't shown any consistency. Not really a fan of Dwayne Bravo.

May be he has fallen off but Darren Sammy too hasnt impressed since his inclusion of time. Yes he has had that odd one match like the one against Pakistan where he bowled well but he has not look international player.

One thing is Dwayne Smith has looked good in the 2 T20. Too many all rounders in the team and the team either has advantage or disadvantage. I see a disadvantage for West Indies

----------

19 of 7 and it looks highly impossible. Fidel Edwards and Marlon Samuels have had a great bowling experiance in this match and I am really shocked to see both teams throwing away after a good start

35/5 in last 5 overs from Australia too just showing how inconsistent both sides were in the later part of innings

----------

Thats a good victory, after leveling the ODI series, the T20 series is also leveled 1-1.

Congrats West Indies and now your test in the test starts ;) Good luck

Hogg should walk back into the starting lineup come the T20 WC, who takes the backup spinner role will be interesting.
Hopefully Hussey will come good when it matters as we are still dependent on the opening combo.

Seems my promotion came at a good time, didn't catch much of our innings after being 4/100. A bit disappointed that we couldn't finish it off, I thought we'd pretty much won it after restricting WI for 160 when it was looking like ~200 at one stage.

My main concerns are Christian's ODI/T20 batting and wondering if Doherty will remain high on the pecking order of T20 spinners. Maybe Christian is suffering from batting too low, but he needs to show a lot more at international level if he wants to come in higher than 7. I think the only time he's impressed was in one match against India where he scored a few boundaries in one over at the death.

As for Doherty, his domestic T20 numbers are pretty ugly.. I remember making a post where like 20 bowlers off the top of my head had better averages and economy rates. Hogg and Lyon should both be ahead of him for the WC, but I feel the selectors will persist with him for some reason.

Honestly I would rather have Darren Sammy then Dwayne Bravo. Bravo has completely fallen of with all the injuries he has had and he hasn't shown any consistency. Not really a fan of Dwayne Bravo.

All true, but at least we know Bravo has another level to take his game. A level which once had him scoring test hundred's in Australia and 6 wicket test hauls in England and Australia.

He should be doing for the windies - what Watson is doing for Australia. His batting was below par for sure this series, but his bowling was fairly decent. Would persist with him.

Sammy however with his limited talent is playing at peak of his potential atm (at least with the bat) and doesn't have another level to take his game.

Anyway you look at it, Sammy can't be in the main XI for the West Indies in any format.

Best West Indies T20 XI for the world cup if all are fit and available:

Gayle
Simmons
Smith
Samuels
DW Bravo
Pollard
Russell
Ramdin
Narine
Bishoo
Edwards

Backups: Rampaul, Darren Bravo, Charles, Taylor

Potential T20 champions IMO if as aforementioned - all their best players are picked. Gayle and Pollard in the same XI would give the Windies the most dangerous top 7 in T20 cricket.

----------

Hogg should walk back into the starting lineup come the T20 WC, who takes the backup spinner role will be interesting.
Hopefully Hussey will come good when it matters as we are still dependent on the opening combo.

Ye although the selectors gave the logistics excuse for not picking guys like Hogg, Finch and Birt on this tour, I think they needed these two games just to assure us that are the players we need in this format looking ahead to the world cup.

Hogg i'm convinced will lift his game for the world cup. But Birt and Finch could have done with a hit out in these two games.

I dont think Bailey presence as a batsman has convinced, the couple ODIs in St Vincent on those slow pitches are the kind of surfaces they will encounter in Sri Lanka. Guys who can clear the boundaries vs the spinner will be needed and Bailey will get stuck.

Finch and Birt are those type of players potentially - so a great oppurtunity missed for me by the selectors.

Would still persist with Doherty as the 2nd T20 spinner, reckon he would bowl well on the turners in Sri Lanka in partnership with Hogg.

I see Cam White has gone to England for a T20 county stint, would love it if he can regain his mojo in time for the T20 WC along with guys like S Marsh and Ferguson.

My main concerns are Christian's ODI/T20 batting and wondering if Doherty will remain high on the pecking order of T20 spinners. Maybe Christian is suffering from batting too low, but he needs to show a lot more at international level if he wants to come in higher than 7. I think the only time he's impressed was in one match against India where he scored a few boundaries in one over at the death.

Interesting enough his bowling has looked more comfortable at this level than his batting. Pressure will definitely come from Mitch Marsh who showed a bit in his debut matches and Maxwell should be there abouts.

Yeah, I was coming back to say I was overly critical of Christian for his batting. His bowling has exceeded my expectations so far and living up to them in the field. If he'd made the most of his opportunities with the bat, it would be pretty damn hard not to keep him around for the tests as coverage though.

6/7 seems to be a hard spot to come into, in recent times only Ferguson has really made a name for himself coming straight in. Dussey struggled initially hence he was in and out of the side, Smith never found his feet and to some extent Wade has too.

Yeah it's not exactly easy to come in as the last recognised batsman, with the role varying each game. It's something they just need more experience at, but the problem with a lot of those guys is they bat at like 4 in domestic, but generally end up 6-8 for Australia, so they haven't really had that experience on a consistent basis.

That certainly helps Maxwell case, usually bats in those positions and looks to be a guy that can go from ball one.

Users who are viewing this thread