Australia tour of West Indies March-April 2011/12

That was one of the reasons why I hadn't really thought of Maxwell too much of late, that he bats lower than most of the potential Aus all-rounders. As you say though, that should actually bode well for him since he has started building experience and performed well down the order.

Just seems that Christian and Wade have looked kinda like deer caught in the headlights when they come in down the order and haven't played with any kind of confidence.

All true, but at least we know Bravo has another level to take his game. A level which once had him scoring test hundred's in Australia and 6 wicket test hauls in England and Australia.

He should be doing for the windies - what Watson is doing for Australia. His batting was below par for sure this series, but his bowling was fairly decent. Would persist with him.

Sammy however with his limited talent is playing at peak of his potential atm (at least with the bat) and doesn't have another level to take his game.

Anyway you look at it, Sammy can't be in the main XI for the West Indies in any format.

Best West Indies T20 XI for the world cup if all are fit and available:

Gayle
Simmons
Smith
Samuels
DW Bravo
Pollard
Russell
Ramdin
Narine
Bishoo
Edwards

Backups: Rampaul, Darren Bravo, Charles, Taylor

Potential T20 champions IMO if as aforementioned - all their best players are picked. Gayle and Pollard in the same XI would give the Windies the most dangerous top 7 in T20 cricket.

Yes I agree that Bravo should be doing for WI what Watson is doing for Australia but unfortunately he seems to be another one in the long list of WI wasted talents. The only thing Bravo and Watson have in common are injuries and that's about it. When Watson plays for the Aussies he steps up and performs well allot of the time while Bravo does it once a series.

I also agree that Sammy has limited talent but he makes up for it with the effort he puts in and his will to represent the West Indies.
At this moment there is no better option in the Caribbean for a captain then Sammy. Gayle isn't getting it back even if he comes back, Chanderpaul doesn't want it, Bravo doesn't play test cricket anymore for WI or at least hasn't in a while. When you look at the overall TestXI there isn't one player there that can take over as captain. Until a better option is available then Sammy should stay as captain. He plays all 3 formats of the game and in my opinion has done a good job leading the team. His own performance might not be the greatest or up to par but the players play hard for him and have done well under his leadership.
Actually the one players that could be a future captain if he continues to do well for WI is Kirk Edwards. He is the Barbados captain and has had a good start to his test career. He doesn't play One Day cricket for WI so he could be the test captain with Sammy being the T20/ODI captain or maybe someone else.

I have actually thought about the best WI T20 squad for a while now and we aren't that far of.

Gayle
Simmons+
Smith
Pollard
Sammuels
Russell
Dwayne Bravo
Darren Sammy*
Bishoo
Narine
Edwards/Rampaul/Santokie

Reasonably one-sided affair that in the end, Australia showing we're still n00bs in this format. :p

Well at half way Australia were going OK and should have been ahead. It soft dismissals of Warner and Hussey that changed things. Even then 30 off 3 overs is gettable, but Wade couldn't keep the momentum going. Not much between a win and a loss in these games.

Just seems that Christian and Wade have looked kinda like deer caught in the headlights when they come in down the order and haven't played with any kind of confidence.

Glad you included Wade, because while the kid has a lot of potential and hits some great shots, I'm really not sold on him. Wasn't just yesterday morning either, he's really slowed down after that 50 on debut and gets bogged pretty easily. I wonder if it's just an overseas thing, because he sucked pretty hard for Delhi too, yet looks awesome for Melbourne Stars.

Anyway, I'd be seriously thinking of playing Nevill in the first Test over Wade. I just think Wade's confidence is lacking right now. Sorry, Wade fanboys :p

----------

The other point to make about lower order struggles is that #8 seems to be a troublesome spot. Lee and McKay are #9 standard really, probably Pattinson too. But with Watson and Christian in the top 7 (and D.Hussey) ie. plenty of guys who can bowl, there is a case for having a #8 who can bat a bit better. Although if your top 7 batsmen can't do the job in a 20 over game it does seem a bit stupid to pick a #8 for his batting.

I was a little hesitant to mention Wade after heavily criticising Haddin for so long and finally getting my way, but his struggles down the order this series are undeniable. He does seem to get bogged down too often, and at first I thought opening or at least top 4 would be a nice fit for him alongside the aggressive Warner and Watson, but now I don't really know where he fits.

I would still keep him for the tests, the first two at least, since time has been invested in getting him prepared, as opposed to Nevill who would require some adjustment period.

Since baggy blogger has reminded us of Johnson and his imminent return to cricket again, he's someone who can slot into the #8 position and not have it feel so foreign to him.

Since baggy blogger has reminded us of Johnson and his imminent return to cricket again, he's someone who can slot into the #8 position and not have it feel so foreign to him.

Not sure about tests(bowlingwise) but def ODI and T20.

Yeah, jeez, not tests. Should have clarified that.

I like your profile name. Very innovative :thumbs

If Mitchell Johnson is fit then he should be easily come in final 11 in shorter formats. He hasn't done too bad in ODI's and T20's. For longer format though, he has to improve.

Last edited:
Australia: Ed Cowan, Shane Watson, Ricky Ponting, Michael Clarke (c), Peter Forrest, Peter Nevill, Peter Siddle, James Pattinson, Ryan Harris, Ben Hilfenhaus, Nathan Lyon, Michael Beer (12th man, can bowl)
WI Board XI: Carlton Baugh (c), Ryan Austin, Nkrumah Bonner, Johnson Charles, Kyle Corbin, Fidel Edwards, Jason Holder, Delorn Johnson, Nelon Pascal, Kieran Powell, Devon Smith, Devon Thomas

Read more: Wade to make Test debut

Nice to see Nevil getting a go, some runs and tidy keeping will certainly keep him in the frame. Forrest confirmed as next in line going by this lineup but looks like he won't be needed since Clarke has been named.

I was wondering what the chances of both Wade and Nevill being selected would be, so I'm pretty happy to see Nev get a proper warm-up.

Darren Bravo probably could've used this match to find some form, little surprised he's not there.

WI team gave quite a good account of themselves in shorter format of the game and made ODI and T20 series a well-fought and entertaining event to watch and follow. I was under the impression that Australia, coming back from a strong home summer, would have their noses in front all throughout the series, but the fact that WI team composition suited shorter formats, with availability of all-round players like Samuels, Bravo, Pollard, Sammy, Russell, helped them give Australia a good run for their money.

Now the 3-match test series will give us the true indication of where the 2 teams stand in the ultimate format of the game.
When Siddle, Hilfenhaus, Pattinson, Starc made batting failures a regularity in India's recent tour Down Under, everyone talked about how the Aussies have what it takes to form a formidable pace battery, which covered all the bases, from pace to bounce to swing, both conventional and reverse.
It'll be really interesting to see how the Aussie bowling line-up, which pulverized India to submission, goes about finding their rhythm in alien conditions in the Caribbean.

Although WI players and fans would be buoyed alike by their good showing so far, tests will be a different ball game altogether. Last season, WI showed that they are quite capable of taking 20 wickets in home series against Pakistan and India. So they would be drawing confidence from that. They had Edwards, Rampaul and Bishoo sharig the bowling load with Sammy chipping in with useful medium pace. But this season WI bowling line-up dons a different look. Experienced Aussie batters like Ponting, Clarke and Hussey will be tough nuts to crack, so will be new pair of Warner-Cowan along with Watson, who is making a comeback. Onus will be on younger guys like Darren Bravo and Kirk Edwards to show some mettle against the Aussies. Samuels will also be needed to shoulder major batting responsibility.

Just hoping for a competitive test series...:thumbs

Yes I agree that Bravo should be doing for WI what Watson is doing for Australia but unfortunately he seems to be another one in the long list of WI wasted talents. The only thing Bravo and Watson have in common are injuries and that's about it. When Watson plays for the Aussies he steps up and performs well allot of the time while Bravo does it once a series.

I wouldn't call him a wasted talent yet. Since every year in IPL and various T20 tournaments he shines. It just a matter of him getting his batting back to the level it once was.

dare said:
I also agree that Sammy has limited talent but he makes up for it with the effort he puts in and his will to represent the West Indies.
At this moment there is no better option in the Caribbean for a captain then Sammy. Gayle isn't getting it back even if he comes back, Chanderpaul doesn't want it, Bravo doesn't play test cricket anymore for WI or at least hasn't in a while. When you look at the overall TestXI there isn't one player there that can take over as captain. Until a better option is available then Sammy should stay as captain. He plays all 3 formats of the game and in my opinion has done a good job leading the team. His own performance might not be the greatest or up to par but the players play hard for him and have done well under his leadership.

Actually the one players that could be a future captain if he continues to do well for WI is Kirk Edwards. He is the Barbados captain and has had a good start to his test career. He doesn't play One Day cricket for WI so he could be the test captain with Sammy being the T20/ODI captain or maybe someone else.

No doubt their is captaincy vacuum in the Windies team, but in a lot a way this was forced on the windies team, since Gayle was doing a very good job as skipper before this entire fiasco started. His average as skipper was 10 points higher than his career batting IIRC.

I also don't necessarily believe Sammy's captaincy is responsible for any good performance the team is doing right now. The team just have a talent nucleus of players in all departs, that were always bound to click as we have seen in the current series so far.

Ramdin is probably the best captain in the region, but he has to cement his place on batting form.

I agree if Gayle returns you can't give him the captaincy, because given the amount of T20 teams that will seek his services, one can't stop him from going.

This to me speaks to a bigger problem at the ICC level, they need to control the amount of T20 leagues around the world in the coming years. India bullies them too much and the IPL affects the west indies home season more than any other country. So essentially for as long as the IPL in existence WIndies at home will have to sacrifice their best players to the IPL - which is just plain wrong.

Spit captaincy is probably way forward for the windies.

Is it 100% clear C'Paul doesn't want it though?, since i see he has been captaining Guyana again in the regional competition again this year, something
he has not done in the recent past. By all reports i gather his captaincy has impressed.

He is the first name on the sheet in the test XI still, so maybe the windies could follow the suite of Pakistan with Misbah who has an old captain and just give him back the captaincy until a real creditable young option who can play in the test on merit (unlike Sammy) emerges in the coming years.

While in the ODIs/T20s make Ramdin captain.

dare said:
I have actually thought about the best WI T20 squad for a while now and we aren't that far of.

Gayle
Simmons+
Smith
Pollard
Sammuels
Russell
Dwayne Bravo
Darren Sammy*
Bishoo
Narine
Edwards/Rampaul/Santokie

Given the pitch conditions in Sri Lanka for the world cup, i think you would want a competent keeper instead of make shift option in Simmons.

Those pitches will turn and you don't want a part-time keeper dealing with the guile of Narine and Bishoo to be fair.

Otherwise yes, this is the best windies T20 team.

Good start by Harris and Beer with 4 a piece and 1 each to Siddle and Lyon. Star was Harris though as Beer did the tail cleaning.

Is it 100% clear C'Paul doesn't want it though?, since i see he has been captaining Guyana again in the regional competition again this year, something
he has not done in the recent past. By all reports i gather his captaincy has impressed.

As far as I know it is. He gave it up to focus on his batting and at 37 Im not sure if it would be the best choice to name him as captain. At that age he can call it quits at any time and I really don't believe that he would take it again.

Here is the article. Chanderpaul resigns as captain | West Indies Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

Good start by Harris and Beer with 4 a piece and 1 each to Siddle and Lyon. Star was Harris though as Beer did the tail cleaning.

Lazy stuff from cricinfo and CA, had to rely on a Herald article for the match report.

Harris stars for Australia in tour match

Was a bit worried about Harris after the summer he had in Australia, hopefully he's regained the form he'd shown prior.

Looks like Pattinson might struggle to make the 1st test, probably between him and Hilfy and the latter has had two chances dropped so far.

What's this about Neville dropping a catch? I hope the pressure didn't get to him, as it seems the best batsmn in the country are now keepers

Users who are viewing this thread