Australia tour of West Indies March-April 2011/12

In an age where every keeper is obviously a batsman first, Baugh has been notably classy in his glovework.

I can't recall any blunders from Baugh so far this tour. Hadn't seen much of him before, but I was expecting an average wicketkeeper to replace Ramdin. Watch him completely kerpluck up now that we've all rapped him.

Hussey's done a brilliant job so far, got us to stumps, through rain delays and inching closer to a much needed hundred. Handy innings from Patto too.

----------

and I put the kiss of death on both of them.. Hussey loses his patience after playing and missing the last few overs, and Patto soon follows.

Good thing I didn't stay up looks like I would have fallen asleep. Wade really needs to start making runs as that was meant to be his big plus point over Haddin.

----------

Wow what a change by Pup, spinner on first over of the innings.

I guess the excitement levels drop when Australia's winning every game and your own team is fresh off a losing streak.

Sillingford did well in the first innings but they gave up on Bishoo really quick in all formats of the game. Nor surprised that the next spinner in line is Shillngford because he is Sammys teammate in domestic cricket.

Glad that Roach is doing well. Another guy they gave up on in test cricket last year even after he did well in Sri Lanka and during the world cup. If Ramapul is fit next match then it will be a tough decision on who is dropped for the final test. Hopefully tomorrow Shiv and Bravo can put on a big partnership and drag the team out of a big hole.

Also congrats to Jamaica on their fifth consecutive First Class title. Really the powerhouse of domestic cricket in the Caribbean.

Roach took five. He's decent but not exactly express or fearsome.

Australia bowled the first 31 balls of the WI innings without conceding a run (Hilfenhaus and Beer opened the bowling) and took a wicket. First time since 1938 that Australia have opened the bowling with a spinner I just read.

Pattinson :)

Can bat, Can Bowl.

Yep, that batting was gold. He's a talented kid, should get a batting average of 20 (maybe more) in Test cricket I reckon. His bowling was interesting to say the least. Got up earlyish to watch the last couple of hours...Patto landed about 3 awesome balls, with a couple of straight, length balls - the rest of the 3 overs were junk. Probably just rust, but it was interesting to watch, and certainly gave Wade a workout - he was diving left and right.

I like the idea of the rotation of fast bowlers. If Hilfenhaus steps out next match with Harris back in, then that would rotate them all fairly. It lets all 4 get a game, and gives them a good motivation ie. All 4 know they'll only get limited opportunities, but they also know they aren't in danger of being dropped if a rotation system is in place. I think that's a perfect combination: urgency to impress, but with reassure of place.

Big day for our spinner lads today. Beer seems honest, and with a helpful pitch I think he'll do very well. Lyon is an interesting one. When he comes around the wicket to lefties, he's too wide, he's not encouraging them to work against the spin to leg at all. Lyon's also unleashed a couple of 'doosras'. It's not a real doosra, it comes out the front of the hand, more like a legspinner if anything. But good to see he's willing to try it.

With Roach's spells of inconsistency, mention was made of the bowlers' run ups being a bit poor; something that is also a pet peeve of Pattinson, so I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get the consistency you'd like to see.

I really regard the use of Beer on the new ball quite highly, not because it came out of nowhere, but because it practically doesn't. If one has watched him bowl enough times, they'd probably have seen him come on early and slide a new ball through an opener. Of course, with this team's list of WA personnel, to not know anything of Beer would be inexcusable, but it does show that they're acutely aware of their strengths and that Clarke is not merely executing surprise tactics, but preparing very wisely.

Missed opportunity for Lyon against the big fish Chanderpaul. Thick edge deflects off Wade's pad and hits Clarke in the chest.

Users who are viewing this thread