Australia tour of West Indies March-April 2011/12

Another to Sammy caught by Bravo who it appears has earned his place back in the slip cordon. Is the pitch really that flat?

'Plodder Watson', you mentalist.

Didn't really expect that to get overturned, but if Clarke says he didn't hit it, then he didn't hit it.

Didn't really expect that to get overturned, but if Clarke says he didn't hit it, then he didn't hit it.

See, this is where the DRS is impotent.

I don't think Clarke nicked that but the ump gives him out. Clarke asks for a review - no snicko, no hot spot in this series. The replays show no deviation and nothing to indicate he was out but nor does it indicate conclusively that the umpires decision was wrong. So surely the umps decision stands?

They got reviews available but no technology to make the 3rd umpires decision easier and more importantly correct. There was no evidence in the review to overturn the decision but then there was no evidence to go with the umpires decision. The on thing that would have cleared that up for me is hot-spot.

It was a weird one, agree that snicko and hotspot probably would've satisfied most people's minds with either decision. I couldn't overturn it based on what I saw, but then I don't know if we have access to everything the 3rd umpire has.

Good start to the session for the West Indies. Just a bit of movement through the air for Roach.

A lot resting on Clarke and Hussey now. Clarke's always good for runs, especially given a life, and Huss must be due for one of his dig-in centuries. Wade will get a nice introduction to test matches if he has to come in any time in the next 200 runs.

----------

I'm seeing a lot of 20-60 scores in Australia's future...:noway

If only :p Seem to be falling into the 10-40 category.

At least the WI bowlers are attacking in their innings. There were just a couple ODI appeals in the WI innings but the WI bowlers are creating more chances.

Finally the partnership is broken and Bishoo gets his reward for the hard work he put in today. Good time to break the partnership with the new ball available soon.

Big wicket for Bishoo. If they can make good use of the new ball they might end up with a sizeable lead.

See, this is where the DRS is impotent.

I don't think Clarke nicked that but the ump gives him out. Clarke asks for a review - no snicko, no hot spot in this series. The replays show no deviation and nothing to indicate he was out but nor does it indicate conclusively that the umpires decision was wrong. So surely the umps decision stands?

No snicko or hotspot, but the 3rd umps still have the stump mic turned up and are looking for deviation. Those last 2 measures are less reliable than the first 2, but you can only use what evidence is available. And on those last 2 measures - sound and deviation - Erasmus determined that Clarke hadn't hit it. Simple! I just wish that commentary teams around the world KNEW about this stuff so that viewers can know about it too...

One call I did hate though was the umpire's call not out when Watson padded up to Sammy and hawkeye showed the ball just clipping the stumps, but not enough of the ball hitting to overturn the not out call. The bowling team should get ALL of the stumps when a batsman pads up. In the old days, pre hawkeye, David Shepherd would have had his finger up for that before Sammy even started appealing.

If only :p Seem to be falling into the 10-40 category.

Well close enough :) Clarke made 70-odd too, so I'm not completely right - but I am pretty awesome though...:p Ponting the only man to not make it past 10 in the match so far :D, although I'm pretty sure he would have, had he not been vexed by Watson.

Plenty of talk this morning about Watto's growing list of run out victims and his unwillingness to listen to his partners calls. One thing I would have thought is that since Watson is probably the slowest player between the wickets, then he'd be the guy you should listen to ie. if he can make the run, anyone can. Watson was going to danger end there, Ricky should have been running I think. Ponting himself has been run out a lot in the last few years too, couple of famous ones in 2005 and 2009 Ashes, but he generally is a massive ball watcher these days. My take was that Ricky was ball watching, Watson was stubbornly ignoring Ricky's call, and it probably wasn't the greatest call of 2 to begin with...Poor all-round.

One thing I did notice this morning though when Hussey and Wade had a little mix up running, was that either Baugh or one of the WI close fielders was calling out 'yes, yes' to the fielder encouraging him to get the ball in quickly for the possible runout. I KNOW it wasn't Hussey or Wade calling yes because both were retreating by that stage, but I would have thought the fielding team calling out 'yes,yes' was not cool at all.

Users who are viewing this thread