Australia tour of West Indies March-April 2011/12

A good test match, could have been much better if WI batted a little more carefully in their 2nd innings.

Well that was a bit fortunate, given that on at least 2 of the days was bad enough to go off about 30 mins before this one finished. I'd love to know what the light meters were reading, especially when compared to earlier days.

I'm not sure that was the right chase to try the usual, 'start steadily then see where we are' strategy. Someone should have been aggressive early when the ball was new and hard. Just because the light was a gamble and the RR was probably at least 4.

Anyway, the other bit of fortune was having one of the great finishers there at the end. Hussey was gold in that last session. Cowan and Wade were floundering, Clarke and Ponting loose, but Hussey was just all class. Australia lucky to have Mr Cricket :thumbs

Siddle seems to be suffering from a lack of game time in this test. Just a handful of domestic games and the practice match in the last 2+ months, while Harris, Hilfy and Patto were rotated around the 20 odd limited overs games since the test series.

Pattinson didn't play the ODIs in Aus, and only got 1 T20 in WI, so I don't think it really applies. Siddle has bowled more balls than Patto in the last couple of months.

I was more interested why Harris and Hilf just came out ahead of Siddle to bat. Something wrong with him? I can understand Harris after 68*, but not really Hilfy.

Hilfy maybe because they wanted quick runs and he's a bit of a slogger?

Congrats to the Aussies, we messed up by allowing Harris and Lyons to dominate yesterday and when we came to bat we were already playing for the draw. Am a bit disappointed with Bishoo's and how well the Aussies seems to have played him in the second innings. Overall the spinners did little on this wicket.

Congrats to the Aussies, we messed up by allowing Harris and Lyons to dominate yesterday and when we came to bat we were already playing for the draw. Am a bit disappointed with Bishoo's and how well the Aussies seems to have played him in the second innings. Overall the spinners did little on this wicket.

Yea I thought he would have more of an impact. Narine could have come in handy for this series as we struggled big time against him.

Disappointing result for the West Indies after being ahead for most of the match. They could have done better in both 2nd innings, particularly theirs. I could imagine the feeling when they were in such a good position in front of the home support then seeming to throw it away when Australia got past 400 then the top order collapsed.

But they're professionals so they tried hard to put Australia under pressure and made the chase fairly uncomfortable. One does not simply
chase vs. the West Indies.

The next Test at Queen's Park Oval I think will surely produce a result. There should be a fair amount of spin and, I fear, a lot of inconsistant bounce later on (it sounded horrible listening to the last match there) That might be an opportunity for WI to get back into this series.

I fully expect Rampaul to replace F Edwards for that match but the faith in Bishoo will probs be tested after that performance; Shillingford was apparently with the squad for a fitness test. The only way I see him getting a game is if Bishoo fails next test which I doubt he will if selected.

Last edited:
Good on ya Aussies ! Shows what a generation of winning instills into a team, and what a generation of losing does too.

I am pretty sure Dhoni would've gone for the draw. Great Test match, it's a bit of a shame that due to it being played in the West Indies not too many people would have been following this game.

I fully expect Rampaul to replace F Edwards for that match but the faith in Bishoo will probs be tested after that performance; Shillingford was apparently with the squad for a fitness test. The only way I see him getting a game is if Bishoo fails next test which I doubt he will if selected.

Why would you expect Edwards to be dropped, because the next test will be in Trinidad?

Awesome captaincy by Clarke. Declaring at that time was genius albeit a limitless bit lucky.

Also, what happened to hilfenhaus? 1st innings v 2nd innings, completely different bowler. Did our new bowling coach lose credit again?

Btw who got mom (or pom)

Pattinson didn't play the ODIs in Aus, and only got 1 T20 in WI, so I don't think it really applies. Siddle has bowled more balls than Patto in the last couple of months.

Patto wasn't used as much as Harris/Hilfy, due to the two injuries, but he played the three ODI finals in Aus and both the T20's against WI. I don't think he was more prepared than Siddle for this match, but with 16 ODIs between the tests, Siddle probably would've been better off playing a few of those.

Anyway, decent win in the end. Shouldn't have lost so many wickets, but with the weather and light fading, we needed to get on with it. If only Deonarine put as much thought into his batting as he does his time-wasting, he might be a good player. Pietersen gets an official warning in a situation where wasting time doesn't make sense, yet Deo can do it so obviously and it's no problem.

Phew. Well played Huss at the end but a nod to Clarke for a great declaration.

It was even a little more satisfying after a few shithouse time wasting tactics by the Windies.

Why would you expect Edwards to be dropped, because the next test will be in Trinidad?

Given that he stood out in both batting innings as not giving his best and that prior to the match there wasn't much between them (Roach, F Edwards, Rampaul), if anyone was to miss out it would be him. Rampaul was statistically the best bowler last year and but for lack of match practice I think he would have started. F Edwards didn't bowl badly and he's the best in the team at swinging/reverse swinging the ball, so they might persist with him; but this is only a 3 match series so any changes need to be prompt.

I also think where they're playing has a subtle bearing on who is picked if their's not much between them (as it didn't surprise me Roach, F Edwards were picked for the last test in Bdos).

Last edited:
They will drop Roach if Rampaul is fit to play. Edwards is preferred over Roach and was over the past year since Fidel made his comeback to international cricket.

Phew. Well played Huss at the end but a nod to Clarke for a great declaration.

It was even a little more satisfying after a few shithouse time wasting tactics by the Windies.

Yeah it's worth mentioning that this is only the SECOND TIME IN HISTORY, a team has declared behind and won. Last time was 1935 when England were 21 behind WI and declared at 7 down.

There was a 3rd match but it was the infamous Eng vs SA match at Centurion in 2000, where both teams scored 0 in an innings to get a result. Thanks Hansie...(and Nasser...)

Users who are viewing this thread