Australia's Tour of India - 7 ODI's

What crap. Australia won the champions trophy and the first match with almost the same team. You didnt complain then?

They are missing James Hopes, who is one of Australia's best death bowlers. I recently read an article on Cricinfo which had a very interesting fact. Since McGrath left, James has bowled 249 deliveries in the death overs (Last 10) and has only allowed 229 runs. He goes at an average off less than six RPO inn the death overs. Having no Hopes forces Ponting to bowl Watson, whose bowling hasn't been the same since his last back problem. He's been hammered everywhere. Having no Lee creates another problem which I have already mentioned. He has the ability to take wickets at the beginning of the innings, while getting some extra 'zip' with the new ball. Then his yorkers at the end make it hard for the batsman, and thus creates wickets for Australia. Hilfenhaus was Ponting's only real choice to bowl at the death, and he clearly isn't used to the role. Ferguson like I said is a very good player of spin, and he can also score quickly if required. I'm not making excuses, I'm just pointing out correctly, that this was a flat pitch, and that the fact that India managed to make 350 on it does not make them the 'best batting side' in the world. Their top order failed in the first ODI, with the exception of Gambhir. One match doesn't make a side any good. If India can manage 280+ in all the matches, then you can make the claim of them being the best batting side, but it's far too pre-mature right now.

They are missing James Hopes, who is one of Australia's best death bowlers. I recently read an article on Cricinfo which had a very interesting fact. Since McGrath left, James has bowled 249 deliveries in the death overs (Last 10) and has only allowed 229 runs. He goes at an average off less than six RPO inn the death overs. Having no Hopes forces Ponting to bowl Watson, whose bowling hasn't been the same since his last back problem. He's been hammered everywhere. Having no Lee creates another problem which I have already mentioned. He has the ability to take wickets at the beginning of the innings, while getting some extra 'zip' with the new ball. Then his yorkers at the end make it hard for the batsman, and thus creates wickets for Australia. Hilfenhaus was Ponting's only real choice to bowl at the death, and he clearly isn't used to the role. Ferguson like I said is a very good player of spin, and he can also score quickly if required. I'm not making excuses, I'm just pointing out correctly, that this was a flat pitch, and that the fact that India managed to make 350 on it does not make them the 'best batting side' in the world. Their top order failed in the first ODI, with the exception of Gambhir. One match doesn't make a side any good. If India can manage 280+ in all the matches, then you can make the claim of them being the best batting side, but it's far too pre-mature right now.
Alright you win, India can never beat Australia now be happy :)

Last edited:
So India are now reduced to making the training pitches unusable for the Aussies but perfectly fine for the Indian squad. Dirty tactics I say ;)

So India are now reduced to making the training pitches unusable for the Aussies but perfectly fine for the Indian squad. Dirty tactics I say ;)

"All is fair in love and war"

:p

P.s. : Ferozshah's management is pathetic. Maybe watered pitch won't be so bad because the real pitch will also stay low and slow.

Params7 added 7 Minutes and 30 Seconds later...

Also, all I'm worried abut is now if there will be any Australian team left by the 5-th and 6th ODI? I mean we're just passed the 2nd ODI and Lee, Hopes and Paine have already departed back home due to injury and out of the series. Its only a matter of 1-2 games before Watson gets his ticket made back to Australia as well. Maybe their board should cancel or delay some tours if its becoming that stressful already.

Params7 added 15 Minutes and 23 Seconds later...

Brett Lee ruled out of India series | Cricket News | India v Australia 2009/10 | Cricinfo.com

Aussies without Bret, India without Zak, its even now. ;)

Last edited:
It's good to hear that Lee's out. More chances of India winning tomorrow when I'm at the stadium. Though I would have loved to see him in action.

For the record, India have never lost a match when I personally went to see it. I hope the record remains as it is. :upray

Bring Shane Harwood as Lee's replacement. He can bowl 90+ and is also much better than Hilfenhaus in the death overs.
I'd go for Nannes. That guy is really quick. It'll also bring some variation into the Aussie side as most their bolwers are right handed.

Damn! No Lee :mad: i m dying to see some pace in this series! i dream how it would be Lee bowling to Sachin :(

Not really, i always prefer to watch pace over spin, especially if he's one of the fastest bowler in the world bowling to a Legend. (search utube > Sachin's Rocket shot of Lee's bowling ;))

Miss you, Lee.

I'd go for Nannes. That guy is really quick. It'll also bring some variation into the Aussie side as most their bolwers are right handed.

No not Nannes, it won't seem right seeing him bowl out Sehwag and Gambhir

ddd2.gif

It's good to hear that Lee's out. More chances of India winning tomorrow when I'm at the stadium. Though I would have loved to see him in action.

For the record, India have never lost a match when I personally went to see it. I hope the record remains as it is. :upray

You better be there otherwise i will hunt you down. :spy

Excuse me but where did i claim that india has the best batting line up? All i was saying was give credit where its due. Australia also got the flat pitch in the first pitch and a small ground as compared to Nagpur but still they only managed to get 292 so according to your logic their batting also sucks. Becoz they couldnt repeat their performance in the second match on a flat pitch against a very weak indian bowling attack.

Best batting lineup doesnt mean that they will score above 300 everytime. The real test of best batting line up will be in the next match in Delhi. Lets see how both teams play there in those conditions. ;)

Also can you please write in paragraphs its hard to read like that. And can you mention the team which has the best batting lineup according to you?

Somebody else mentioned they had the best batting line-up, and that's when I posted my first reply to this whole thread about the flat pitch, and how Australia are a deflated side right now.

As for the best batting side, I'd go with South Africa. To be the best you have to have good performances for a long period, and we have done that. Since about 2006, we have put up some extraordinary performances against many sides. We have beaten Australia in three consecutive ODI series's since 2006. We can score pretty much in all grounds, and have players to adapt to every possible pitch. We are also pretty good chasers, and have the best record in chasing 300+ scores. Sure we haven't won ICC events, but only India and Pakistan have one a ICC event since 2007, and both were Twenty20's, and not ODI's. The only little bad spot we went through in the ODI's was the loss to England, but since then haven't lost a ODI series. So if you look at it over the last couple of years, we have been the most consistent team along with Australia.

India has a very good team, but they lost the Asia Cup and a series against Sri Lanka as well. (Not sure, but pretty positive) India did beat Australia, but their true test will be to beat South Africa in South Africa. If they can do that, then they can be called the best.

Users who are viewing this thread