Australia's Tour of India - 7 ODI's

Somebody else mentioned they had the best batting line-up, and that's when I posted my first reply to this whole thread about the flat pitch, and how Australia are a deflated side right now.

As for the best batting side, I'd go with South Africa. To be the best you have to have good performances for a long period, and we have done that. Since about 2006, we have put up some extraordinary performances against many sides. We have beaten Australia in three consecutive ODI series's since 2006. We can score pretty much in all grounds, and have players to adapt to every possible pitch. We are also pretty good chasers, and have the best record in chasing 300+ scores. Sure we haven't won ICC events, but only India and Pakistan have one a ICC event since 2007, and both were Twenty20's, and not ODI's. The only little bad spot we went through in the ODI's was the loss to England, but since then haven't lost a ODI series. So if you look at it over the last couple of years, we have been the most consistent team along with Australia.

India has a very good team, but they lost the Asia Cup and a series against Sri Lanka as well. (Not sure, but pretty positive) India did beat Australia, but their true test will be to beat South Africa in South Africa. If they can do that, then they can be called the best.

Dude South Africa didnt beat full strength australian side. South Africa started to play better against australia when they were weak. You can check Australia's records head to head against south africa and compare it with India against Australia both home and away. India wins hands down here and that too against strong aussie sides.

So india did bad in Asia Cup final and they became a weak side? When was the last time South Africa reached the final of a big tournament? Can you remind me? If india has to beat south africa in south africa to prove that they are better than them then same thing applies to south africa also. They also have to beat india in india to prove that they are number one. ;)

At the moment Australia as a team deserves to be number one. Becoz only they can maintain the consistency at the top level. South Africa cant win big tournaments they choke at the final stages and thats not a sign of a champion. Fight is on for number 2 spot. Australia even if india manage to beat them will regain their top spot soon. ;)

India never lost a series to Sri Lanka in recent times. The last time Sri Lanka won a series also featuring India was the Asia Cup. We have beaten SL twice in their home ground in an ODI series.

With the likes of Sehwag, Tendulkar, Yuvraj, Dhoni, Gambhir, we have arguably the best lineup in the world. Almost all these players can play in all types of conditions (yes Sehwag can bat the same way in conditions that are challenging too). Raina has been a dangerous ODI batsman when the pitches dont have much bounce. And one more thing, how many times do you find wickets in ODI/T20's these days that favor the bowler? 2-3% of the pitches are like that. The rest are all batting beauties, and you cant find a better lineup than India to be the best on such wickets.

India never lost a series to Sri Lanka in recent times. The last time Sri Lanka won a series also featuring India was the Asia Cup. We have beaten SL twice in their home ground in an ODI series.

With the likes of Sehwag, Tendulkar, Yuvraj, Dhoni, Gambhir, we have arguably the best lineup in the world. Almost all these players can play in all types of conditions (yes Sehwag can bat the same way in conditions that are challenging too). Raina has been a dangerous ODI batsman when the pitches dont have much bounce. And one more thing, how many times do you find wickets in ODI/T20's these days that favor the bowler? 2-3% of the pitches are like that. The rest are all batting beauties, and you cant find a better lineup than India to be the best on such wickets.

I guess he was talking about Sri Lanka vs India test series in sri lanka.
Otherwise india is owning sri lanka in every other bilateral ODI series. 6-1, 3-2, 4-1 isnt bad. ;)

Whenever india does well these are the popular things i hear
a) it was a flat pitch
b) the opposing team wasnt playing with full strength
c) india was lucky
d) Modi bought the rival board
e) umpires were indians

Brett Lee ruled out of India series | Cricket News | India v Australia 2009/10 | Cricinfo.com

Aussies without Bret, India without Zak, its even now.

It was even when we were without Bracken, now its uneven!

Geez I might have to give my team name to Australia - Injury Brigade. Only two players should be in line for a call up; Nannes or McKay.

Do you not remember the 436 match? That was a 5 match ODI series, and it had the full Australian squad which won the 2007 World Cup, and South Africa beat them 3-2 and were ranked first going into the World Cup. As for the Tournament thing, you can't really say anything. You guys were kicked out in the group stages in the 2007 World Cup, while we made the semi's and then both were eliminated in the group stages of the Champions Trophy.

We have Smith, Kallis, De Villiers, and Duminy.

All four are great players of both spin and pace bowling. All have scored century's in some form of Cricket in India. Duminy scored 99*, but whatever... For someone playing their first innings in India, that is remarkable though. Smith has scored runs against everybody. Same applies to Kallis, who has only really struggled against England. De Villlers is quickly becoming the best batsman in all of cricket currently. Duminy is also being praised for his performances against Australia, and his stock continues to rise.

Last edited:
Do you not remember the 436 match? That was a 5 match ODI series, and it had the full Australian squad which won the 2007 World Cup, and South Africa beat them 3-2 and were ranked first going into the World Cup. As for the Tournament thing, you can't really say anything. You guys were kicked out in the group stages in the 2007 World Cup, while we made the semi's and then both were eliminated in the group stages of the Champions Trophy.

436 match? Flat track and weak aussie bowling line up and ofcourse small ground. That was just a lucky win for South Africa. haha i can also talk like this.

India also won the T20 World Cup in 2007 with a completely new look side. And after that they didnt lose a single bilateral series. India beat Australia in 2008 at home 2-0 in test matches. Sorry but head to head against Australia india is still leading. We came close to win in 2003-2004 australia tour. And that was the strongest australian team. At that time south africa didnt even manage to win a test match let alone the whole series.;)

Last edited:
Were not taking about Tests or Twenty20's, so that whole post was irrelevant, but come back to me, when you beat Australia in Australia. Something no one had done for about 14 years, before we did it. ;)

Ya that pitch 436 was flat, but you still have to be mentally strong to be able to chase down 9 RPO for 50 overs. To sustain that sort of run rate, while not losing wickets is almost unheard of. I highly doubt such a score will ever be chased down again, especially against the stronger nations. Oh and India also lost the Kitply Cup as well. Just remembered that.

We have Smith, Kallis, De Villiers, and Duminy.

All four are great players of both spin and pace bowling. All have scored century's in some form of Cricket in India. Duminy scored 99*, but whatever... For someone playing their first innings in India, that is remarkable though. Smith has scored runs against everybody. Same applies to Kallis, who has only really struggled against England. De Villlers is quickly becoming the best batsman in all of cricket currently. Duminy is also being praised for his performances against Australia, and his stock continues to rise.
Good for you. Becoz i am talking on basis of the stats not praises lol. I think i am wasting my time with you. Go have fun.

We won't see another team chase down a 400+ total in our lifetime. That match is just too hard to believe actually happened in the real world.

What's wrong with his stats? His average is the same as Sehwag's/Gambhir's/Yuvraj's/Raina's. Your argument lacks a basic point in many posts, and you clearly dis-regard the things I say and just ignore my whole point, only to reply with a not so clever and totally off the point reply. I guess that's my que to leave this argument, as clearly you are not understanding the points which I have put down, and you keep repeating the same senseless things, while I come up with new arguments each time. See ya later bro. ;)

Looking forward to the 3rd ODI! With the series level 1-1, whichever team wins this match would have a good advantage to win the series. One of the Australian bowlers will have to step up and perform well. Go Australia!:)

Were not taking about Tests or Twenty20's, so that whole post was irrelevant, but come back to me, when you beat Australia in Australia. Something no one had done for about 14 years, before we did it. ;)

Ya that pitch 436 was flat, but you still have to be mentally strong to be able to chase down 9 RPO for 50 overs. To sustain that sort of run rate, while not losing wickets is almost unheard of. I highly doubt such a score will ever be chased down again, especially against the stronger nations. Oh and India also lost the Kitply Cup as well. Just remembered that.

Yeah we nearly had it in 2003 and 2008 also(sydney test controversy ruined it).

Kitply cup lol? You just remember only one?

After 1998 South Africa hasnt won any big tournament. They are chokers.

boney_g added 3 Minutes and 39 Seconds later...

What's wrong with his stats? His average is the same as Sehwag's/Gambhir's/Yuvraj's/Raina's. Your argument lacks a basic point in many posts, and you clearly dis-regard the things I say and just ignore my whole point, only to reply with a not so clever and totally off the point reply. I guess that's my que to leave this argument, as clearly you are not understanding the points which I have put down, and you keep repeating the same senseless things, while I come up with new arguments each time. See ya later bro. ;)

You hardly have any points in your post dear. JP Duminy just had 1 year of international cricket and you are comparing him with the likes of Sehwag and Gambhir?

boney_g added 1 Minutes and 30 Seconds later...

Thanks to your post where you were saying that India lost the series in Sri Lanka. So the only series which india lost in Sri Lanka recently was a test series. :sarcasm

Last edited:
I said in parenthesis that I wasn't sure about the Series loss to Sri Lanka.

Gambhir has only been in the spotlight since 2008, so your argument just contradicts itself. The same applies to Raina, who has been there, but it wasn't until the Asia Cup that he actually did something of importance. I still question his ability to play the short ball, especially in South Africa and Australia. It was clear he struggles against them in England, and not being able to play the short ball properly is a major flaw in anybody's technique. Even Duminy had that problem, but he has worked on it, and gotten rid of the problem.

Smith and Kallis are better ODI players than both Sehwag and Gambhir. I don't really like to use stats, but I will here. While Kallis might not be as attacking he is a rock, and his wicket is still such an important one. Both Kallis and Smith average higher than Gambhir and Sehwag. Duminy is better than Raina. He is a much more complete player. Same applies to AB, who is better than Yuvraj. The only advantage Yuvraj might have over AB is his big hitting, but AB is much better in all the other departments. I'll admit though, that Dhoni is a very good ODI batsman. Still has a lot to prove in tests, but as far as ODI's, he is probably the best wicket-keeper batsman since Gilchrist.

I said in parenthesis that I wasn't sure about the Series loss to Sri Lanka.

Gambhir has only been in the spotlight since 2008, so your argument just contradicts itself. The same applies to Raina, who has been there, but it wasn't until the Asia Cup that he actually did something of importance. I still question his ability to play the short ball, especially in South Africa and Australia. It was clear he struggles against them in England, and not being able to play the short ball properly is a major flaw in anybody's technique. Even Duminy had that problem, but he has worked on it, and gotten rid of the problem.

Smith and Kallis are better ODI players than both Sehwag and Gambhir. I don't really like to use stats, but I will here. While Kallis might not be as attacking he is a rock, and his wicket is still such an important one. Both Kallis and Smith average higher than Gambhir and Sehwag. Duminy is better than Raina. He is a much more complete player. Same applies to AB, who is better than Yuvraj. The only advantage Yuvraj might have over AB is his big hitting, but AB is much better in all the other departments. I'll admit though, that Dhoni is a very good ODI batsman. Still has a lot to prove in tests, but as far as ODI's, he is probably the best wicket-keeper batsman since Gilchrist.

Yeah if they are so good then why cant they win tournaments like Champions Trophy, ICC T20 or even a World Cup? Thats where Australia is different. Come back to me if you manage to win these cups. Till then Australia is the champ. And india and south africa are at number 2. ;) And even though india didnt win many finals but they managed to reach them and thats the quality which south africa lacks as a team.

Yeah if they are so good then why cant they win tournaments like Champions Trophy, ICC T20 or even a World Cup? Thats where Australia is different. Come back to me if you manage to win these cups. Till then Australia is the champ. And india and south africa are at number 2. ;) And even though india didnt win many finals but they managed to reach them and thats the quality which south africa lacks as a team.

OK, India and South Africa are joint number two. Lets move onto India vs Australia now.:D

Users who are viewing this thread