Batting in career mode is a serious issue

Nice videos... The batting has never been like that in the PC version and it looks much more fun, hopefully it can be fixed soon.

I find those quotes a little concerning, because - to me - it suggests that nobody actually played the game in testing post-patch, because you'd notice it immediately. Not only that, but it further suggests that it's taken hundreds of posts across here (and presumably the BigAnt forums) to make it a known issue.

As a PC player, I've never seen batting like that, but it appears massively better that the 'looping up in the air if you look at the ball funny'. Even playing a defensive shot (which should be bat angled down to the ground) will loop up in the air randomly - and not just when it is timed badly (those ones you can understand).

Not really, HBK has been looking in to it for sometime in that thread though getting the problem clearly across took time and some vids.. The problem only exists for non trigger shots, if your ball is looping for defensive shots its mostly due to late timing.
It could also be due to sometimes when graphics and physics are out of sync as has been said by ross before, that or late timing is whats happening with defensive shots you would have seen i guess, other than that the ball going in the air too much is only restricted to non trigger shots, all other shots play as they should.

Last edited:
What do you mean not really?

Its bizarre that they needed videos for this.
It's just as weird that they somehow did this accidentally.

Within 5 minutes of playing the patch it was obvious. It should have been just obvious to them.

I'm glad they are looking at it and hope they fix it soon because I don't enjoy batting at all now.

Within 5 minutes of playing the patch it was obvious. It should have been just obvious to them.

I'm glad they are looking at it and hope they fix it soon because I don't enjoy batting at all now.[/QUOTE]er

I'm on Xbox and have never had these problems. However, if there is a point in, I wouldn't play this shot anyway! I don't trust my skills!

I actually like batting post patch. Defensive shots are much harder as edges are a possibility, and back foot shots to the on-side feel glorious.

It is very tough to score on the off side though and that is concerning

Not really, HBK has been looking in to it for sometime in that thread though getting the problem clearly across took time and some vids.. The problem only exists for non trigger shots, if your ball is looping for defensive shots its mostly due to late timing.
It could also be due to sometimes when graphics and physics are out of sync as has been said by ross before, that or late timing is whats happening with defensive shots you would have seen i guess, other than that the ball going in the air too much is only restricted to non trigger shots, all other shots play as they should.

By 'take some time' you mean spend 5 minutes actually, you know, regression testing the patch? And this is exactly how hard it is to get across to a programmer: "All the non-trigger shots used to go along the ground. Now they are airborne for a significant period of time, leading to previously safe shots (with good timing) now resulting in catches. Can you look into it?"

Hmm, that didn't seem very difficult as a starting point.

Whilst the above is slightly tongue-in-cheek, it's not exactly a hard to replicate situation, and 5 minutes really would be all you need to see it in evidence. I haven't read all the threads, but my original question still stands - has there been an official word on the issue? The quotes you linked don't reference the problem directly, just talks about little fixes here and there.

Like I've said before, this is a good game - but I don't think that means we should just ignore the issues. And this is a pretty fundamental difference - until seeing the videos I hadn't realised that was what it was like for the consoles pre-patch 2. It would make quite a difference to be able to play those shots properly and open up the ground a bit more and make for a better game.

And re: the defensive shots, late timing should result in edges, not looping balls, surely? That would be from being too early (as the bat would be more 'solid' in position for the ball to bounce off of.)

Perhaps a video of the Big Ant guys playing on Patch 2 might help us see where there's this different perspective on it - perhaps they simply are able to just keep hitting non-trigger shots along the ground in normal matches/career mode.

I recall but can't find a post where one of the Big Ant guys (probably HBK) mentioned that they play the game differently to how others out there are playing it - or something to that effect. Obviously the bulk of their internal testing would be done by people with thousands of hours practice with the game, with their external focus group testing mostly if not wholly pre-release.

My initial reaction to the Patch 2 PC version was finding it overall easier to bat - where on Patch 1 on Xbox I was barely able to get bat to ball - and struggled a lot with my career bowler to get more than a few runs - my main impression is of batting being made easier by the patch. It's only with a lot of time with it that I begin to notice the issues playing down - because my issues pre-patch were playing shots at all.

Of course it's hard to tell what is the patch and what is practice, but my initial impressions of the tweaks made to Patch 2 was that it made batting easier.

I do however find batting online to be a totally different and enjoyable experience - straight drives are a little bit overpowered if it's lagging - but the bowler isn't a wall and edges are genuine and at about the right frequency.

y 'take some time' you mean spend 5 minutes actually, you know, regression testing the patch? And this is exactly how hard it is to get across to a programmer: "All the non-
Like I've said before, this is a good game - but I don't think that means we should just ignore the issues. And this is a pretty fundamental difference - until seeing the videos I hadn't realised that was what it was like for the consoles pre-patch 2. It would make quite a difference to be able to play those shots properly and open up the ground a bit more and make for a better game.
And re: the defensive shots, late timing should result in edges, not looping balls, surely? That would be from being too early (as the bat would be more 'solid' in position for the ball to bounce off of.)

Actually im one of the ones that started harping on it, so i certainly dont want to ignore them;).

The thing is like you see a lot of people didn't even notice it at first like matt above, even now a lot would claim to say the grounded shots are fine, that they can play cover drives well etc.
It would have certainly helped if more people like you had putout their feedback then itself.

It was certainly difficult to get the points across, till proper videos were made and posted.One of the main reasons is a lot of things were flying around at that point of time, some genuine some not so genuine bugs etc, then there was also point of getting practice whether it was user fault etc.

And then people arguing about shots itself that drives were ok and pulls and cut need fixing, some the drives were the prob etc, it took some time to reach to a conclusion on this issue.

You should checkout that thread i quoted from this is being discussed in detail there. I think why they havnt spelled out a specific details as reply is as HBK has mentioned they are not able to find the actual cause of the problem yet, im sure once they know it will get fixed.Also im sure its going to be certainly solvable as the prepatch as well as the AI seem to be able to play the shots well, so its just going to be a matter of finding that odd thing thats affecting player strokes.

Till then we can always use these tags if we still feel miffed about it [HASHTAG]#MassiveOversight[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#blamematt etc[/HASHTAG]:p

What do you mean not really?

I'm glad they are looking at it and hope they fix it soon because I don't enjoy batting at all now.

As in i think HBK started posting on the issue from the start itself as far as i remember, though it took some time to get steam on the issue.
Like i have said in reply to gabe, not many people were actually complaining, if only many had provided feedback early it would have been looked earlier itself.
Anyway its happening now, looking forward to playing some gorgeous drives in future.

Last edited:
Ha, after I had made that post earlier, I then saw you had started the other thread!

I think part of the problem is that many people probably do put it down to just being a timing issue, and that with practice they'll get better at it. The fact that it wasn't this way on the consoles I think proves otherwise. But for us PC owners who only have started playing post patch 2, we don't know any better.

Indeed, I've posted that I wonder if it was an intended mechanic as part of the patch, purely because I haven't seen it mentioned officially anywhere as being an issue.

Perhaps, as Matt says, BigAnt do something very differently and so don't notice it. Who knows?

Ya but if it was an intended thing they wouldn't have had the AI play differently for us to notice etc, it just stuff that happens i guess.

I don't know why batting has been made so difficult in the pro mode. The moderators are mad or what???? Its even difficult than playing real cricket!! I can only guess the ball. The moderators SHOULD REALISE that not only the teenagers play games but there are many 60+ people also who loves to play games and their nervous system is not as strong as ours. Just because of the ocean sized difficulty in batting, many people are loosing interest in this game. AND THEY SHOULD. We play games for entertainment and fun. This is not like playing real cricket that we need to practice hard before stepping onto the field.
its tough, we are all struggling, but we have only had the game for 4 days, relax, the more you play the better you will get

if you wanted a game where you can smash every ball, then go play IC10 or some crappy game

This will take time to master, which is what we want

I know its frustrating, but its for the greater good!!

A lot of the little niggles with regards to batting have been fixed with the recent update on PC version and they will be rolled on to to consoles when they get the patch.

The game is amazing now, just have look at the experiences players are having and enjoying in the career thread and match tour thread.

Also if you want instant gratification which is not what is cricket is about, i would suggest playing at lesser difficulties like amateur were the game is extremely playable regardless of age.

Higher difficulties are for people who want to enjoy the game as a cricketing experience that comes close to real one.

Last edited:
A lot of the little niggles with regards to batting have been fixed with the recent update on PC version and they will be rolled on to to consoles when they get the patch.

The game is amazing now, just have look at the experiences players are having and enjoying in the career thread and match tour thread.

Couldn't agree more. Some of the shots that you can play when batting are superb. A great feeling when you practice and then get good enough to crunch one. I played a Cover Drive with both triggers down that had me watching it over and over. Just perfection. And the clip off the hip on the back foot is great when timed perfectly.

A really fine game.

A more general point on batting I suppose but 'career batting' has prompted my thoughts. Anyway, I've noticed that the AI striker, on Pro Level, likes to play a shot that's not quite a full crunch and not quite a push. Almost walks on to the ball, taking it through the offside on the up. Really nice looking shot and gets a single or a two. I've tried to copy this, using both triggers. It's difficult. I can't get it right. It's either a full-blooded shot or a defensive push. Any ideas? I've read that using 'the front' of the trigger, right side, helps but even this is beyond me. I've spent hours in the nets trying to get it right :yes

I've read that using 'the front' of the trigger, right side, helps but even this is beyond me. I've spent hours in the nets trying to get it right :yes

Slighty pressing the right trigger hits a solid defensive shot; it's like a defensive shot with hard hands to let the ball run off the bat a bit further. I don't think that's the shot you're looking for. If you're using a 360 controller just head to the nets, only slightly press the right trigger (hold it at about half) and you'll see your defensive shots come off the bat a lot faster.

As for the shot you're after, are you sure it's not a back foot cover drive played to a ball slightly short of a length? Or a defensive push to the off side while charging the bowler? Those are the only 2 that come to mind. Maybe try the 3 shots I suggested in the nets and see if they're it?

TL/DR:

- half press the right trigger to do a defensive nudge
- back foot drive to fullish short ball or shortish good length ball
- charging a quicker bowler and defending to the off side (left stick to cover, right stick straight down while charging)

Users who are viewing this thread