Battle of the Australians: Bill Brown vs Hugh Trumble

ZoraxDoom said:
And this is supposed to be a site full of cricket experts, pah.

... I thought it was a site full of cricket gamers but there you go :rolleyes:

puddleduck said:
... I thought it was a site full of cricket gamers but there you go :rolleyes:
Same thing. It is supposed to have a more 'cricket educated' memberbase than CricketWeb. Either that is true and those people aren't showing themselves, or I heard a lie...

People are allowed to vote for who they want though. A current player is always likely to have more of a place in peoples hearts, especially on a forum where the vast majority of people are young and play computer games.

There are a fair few knowledgeable chaps but all in all the vast majority are essentially kids. If someone like Brett Lee inspires them with his pace then who am I, or you, to judge them for voting differently to yourself. This game would be fairly pointless if everyone voted for the same person each round wouldn't it? Anyway enough talking about the semantics of what is essentially just a bit of fun ;)

If he inspires them, or finds a place in their hearts, fine, by all means. But if your reason is not seeing one of them play, the c'mon! Just read up their profile, how hard can it be, or look at the stats, they are right there!
Sheesh...
Anyways, tantrum over, back to the game...

I agree with you Zorax, but guess what, Lee goes ahead 7-5. Such is democracy. Funny though, Monty made it to the quarter finals in the Cricket web battle only to be eliminated by Warnie. Anyway...

Round 1, Battle 8

Terry Alderman

Test: 41 matches, 170 wickets @ 27.15, 14 5-fers, 1 10-fer
ODI: 65 matches, 88 wickets @ 23.36, 2 5-fers

057469.jpg

vs

Greg Chappell

Test: 87 matches, 7110 runs @ 53.86, 24 100s, 31 50s
ODI: 74 matches, 2331 runs @ 40.18, 3 100s, 14 50s

chappell.jpg

Oohh...tough one. Very tough indeed.
But I'd say....Alderman. I feel he contributed more to Aussie cricket history.

puddleduck said:
Not knowing much about him I am grateful to Nightprowler for giving me the reason to read up about his career,
This is the sole reason I wanted to do these battles. After doing these battles on CW, I realized how little I knew about cricket and how much more I knew about Aussie cricket just by doing this. Can't wait to do the South African one, I don't know a damn thing about them.

Quite an interesting one this one, but I think Greg will win. He gets my vote anyway. Didn't realise how useful a bowler he had been in his career as well, whilst Alderman really was a genuine tail-ender. Maybe if injuries hadn't gotten in the way of a fair amount of his career he would have stood a better chance of getting my vote.

Last edited:
I would go Greg Chappell, his batting average is in the 50s which makes you a dam good player. Knocked up 24 100s which is a good old effort back in his day.

I'm going with Chappell on this one. Although you can't really compare a batsman to a bowler, I just think 7000 Test runs is a better achievement than 170 wickets. I feel like i'm degrading Alderman here but i'm not, I actually know quite a bit about him and i've even read up on him more, but i'm going with Chappell this time.

Thread name needs changing too NP. ;)

evertonfan said:
Thread name needs changing too NP. ;)
Done :)

I completely agree with people not wanting to vote for Chappell for the underarm incident. I recently saw a video of it, disgraceful.

ZoraxDoom said:
Same thing. It is supposed to have a more 'cricket educated' memberbase than CricketWeb. Either that is true and those people aren't showing themselves, or I heard a lie...

Don't know who said that. I've always thought that CW had a more 'cricket educated' memberbase (or perhaps used to) as they're more geared towards cricket chat and we are towards gaming.

Anyhow back to the battle. I'm going to vote for Chappell despite the underarm incident. His average was fantastic and becomes even more amazing when you consider the fact it doesn't include the games he played in Packer's World Series where he was immense.

Greg Chappell, A Test average of in the 50s and a ODI average of 40. One of the best batsman Australia have produced.

nightprowler10 said:
I agree with you Zorax, but guess what, Lee goes ahead 7-5. Such is democracy. Funny though, Monty made it to the quarter finals in the Cricket web battle only to be eliminated by Warnie. Anyway...

Yeah but the way you've set this up is that anyone could get eliminated in the first round. What if you compared Ricky Ponting (Whose got a more impressive looking record & second highest batting average in Australian history) to Shane Warne? Shane Warne would win but I'd imigane but there would be a fair few players that would advance to the second round who aren't better cricketers then Ricky Ponting.

Users who are viewing this thread