Battle of the Australians: Bill Brown vs Hugh Trumble

8-0 to Jeff Thomson. I spelled his last name with a 'p' and no one caught it. You're getting rusty Andrew :p

Round 1: Battle 7

Monty Noble

Test: 42 matches, 1997 runs @ 30.25, 1 100, 16 50s | 121 wickets @ 25.00, 9 5-fers, 2 10-fers

00001258-image.jpg

vs

Brett Lee

Test: 54 matches, 1033 @ 21.08, 3 50s | 211 wickets @ 31.45, 7 5-fers
ODI: 136 matches, 695 @ 19.30, 2 50s | 240 wickets @ 22.75, 6 5-fers

58731.jpg

I'll go with Lee purely because i've seen him in his prime. Again, I know very little about Monty Noble so i'll go with Binger. Although he started his career as a snotty, arrogant and above all average bowler, he soon developed into the mature, clever quick bowler that he is now.

To be honest, in battles such as these (Lee is the youngest test cap in this whole thing and Noble one of the oldest) all you have to do is look at the stats. A man with a bowling average of 25 and a batting average of over 30 (which was no joke back then) has to be better than someone with a test bowling average of 31. Lee is a very good ODI bowler, but you have to ask yourself if that's enough to be considered better than the first true Australian all rounder.

I have to go with Lee, on the fact that I have actually seem him play. Plus I like Brett Lee.

This is a good idea :).

I will go with Lee! :)

I'll go with Monty Noble although it was a hard decision. Not knowing much about him I am grateful to Nightprowler for giving me the reason to read up about his career, and from what I have read he is one of the finest all-round cricketers Australia have ever produced. Whilst I do rate Lee highly as one of the quickest bowlers ever, as well as someone who has improved throughout his career and always been a fine Odi bowler, I do have to go with Monty for his all-round performances. A very tough one though, and considering the massive difference in generations I feel this could be one of the closest fought battles yet :)

Got to be Monty Noble. A better test batting average and a better test bowling average. How can anyone go with Lee? Another no-contest really, or at least it should be.

By the way, could people start giving their reasons in future please?

Monty Noble for the reasons mentioned. Lee has bowled for Australia in a period of dominance and still been highly inconsistant. As others have said Noble was the first genuine aussie all-rounder.

Brett Lee. The excitement he brings should also be taken into consideration. Monty Noble- never seen him play, so I won't vote for him.

This is stupid. "I've seen him play, so he is the greatest"
I saw Tapash Baisya play, does that make him better than Jeff Thomson???
Just idiotic. Just hand this over to Monty Noble, Lee doesn't deserve to win. And this is supposed to be a site full of cricket experts, pah.

Users who are viewing this thread