Battle of the Australians: Bill Brown vs Hugh Trumble

The matchups in this thread are identical to the ones I had in CW with a few exceptions. Monty was up against Lee and won the battle 13-3. Also he beat Bill Woodfull in the second round and then lost to Warne in the third round.

Yeah I've taken a look at this cricketweb comp. A few dodgy selections and I even saw a random comment say that Kallis isn't up there with the modern greats the likes of Ponting, Tendulker, Lara & Dravid!

I guess they're sort of right, considering his bowling he's probably above them all :p

Anyway, you will always get some results that you don't agree with otherwise this would be extremely boring. Anyway, back on topic, I've already voted but would like to say I think it's harsh to hold the underarm incident against Chappell. He averaged over 50 in tests and 40 in Odis against some of the best bowlers around, in a time when batting was by no means easy. I would never hold the "leg-side theory" against Jardine, or even Nasser Hussains very own version with Giles in India against him. What they did was maybe not morally right, but it wasn't against the rules at the time. Someone would have done it eventually, so for the better the rules were changed because of these men.

Besides all that, Chappell really was a fine batsman. On a seperate note, anyone think the ball in Aldermans hands looks incredibly orange?

Actually don't know what I'm talking about, or why I wrote orange! It is indeed incredibly red, almost too red, looks like its one of those bright red plastic balls :p

Final request for people to start giving at least a brief reason. In future, if you do not give a reason, your post will be considered spam and will be deleted as such.

I am going for Greg Chappell. I think to play as many matches as he did and maintain an average like he did is a big acheivement.

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay. 8-2 to Chappell. I'd appreciate it if people would bold their choices. As I've said before, I sometimes have to do this on the fly and I might miss a vote.

Round 1, Battle 9

Steve Waugh

Test: 168 matches, 10927 runs @ 51.06, 32 100s, 50 50s | 92 wickets @ 37.44, 3 5-fers
ODI: 325 matches, 7569 runs @ 32.90, 3 100s, 45 50s

12steve11.jpg

vs

Mark Waugh

Test: 128 matches, 8029 runs @ 41.81, 20 100s, 47 50s
ODI: 244 matches, 8500 runs @ 39.35, 18 100s, 50 50s

28dan2.jpg

BTW, NO! This was not a deliberate matchup. :p

Steve Waugh for me too. Maybe not the more stylish to watch, but certainly the more consistent and effective over his career. Not to mention his captaincy, or the fact that he averaged under 40 for his wickets in both tests and odis. One of the most mentally strong cricketers to ever play the game I think. That all said Mark was an excellent fielder and could bowl as well, but in terms of pure weight of runs and success, I've got to go for Steve.

Steve for me too. Mark was great, but from what I hear flamboyant. Definately the better cricketer but not the greatest...

Steve Waugh for me; Nigh on 11,000 Test match runs pretty much sums his quality as a batsman up perfectly. One of Australia's greatest captains too.

Thread name needs changing again NP. :p

Mark Waugh. Much more talented in my opinion, a victim of circumstances, I believe that had he been given the chances first like Steve was, his record would be just as good. Sure Waugh was captain, but I don't think that he was that great a tactician, he took the best team to the titles, but you'd expect nothing less. Are we ignoring Mark Waugh's bowling or something? Also Waugh succeeded whereever he was put in the order, that takes class.

Users who are viewing this thread