Best Batsmen Of next Decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In test yuvi wasnt successful coz earlier he used to get chances only when a senior player is injured, and all the time axe was hanging next to his head. just now ganguly ios retired see how calmly he played in Test series agains England. Mark my word,by the end of 2009 season yuvi would catch up pieterson. And in ODI, yuvi had made his debu a lot earlier than pieterson,pieterson debuted at 25 while yuvi at 18. Generally players peak around 24 and 26.that age coincide with pieterson's debu so he had a wornderful year, whereas yuvi took time to reach 25 to peak. he had scored 8 ODI centuries in last 2 years. In ODI and T20 Pieterson is no match for yuvi. LOL yuvi performed better than Pieterson in the Both TEST and ODI's. remember,pieterson scored just one century and thats it.yuvi had a score of 40,and two scores of 85+ in test. and in ODI series he blasted English attack in first two game by two concecutive centuries, how come you english fans forget that. atleast remmeber the first century,he blasted all the bowlers in first odi. And as far as pieterson scoring 84 with broken rib against Aus, well in second odi yuvi was suffering from back injurry,didnt you see,he played the whole innings with a support belt around his waist.yet scored 100 and blasted english team, This is what you call determination and guts. so as per recent performance i can say Yuvi>pieterson in both Test And ODI's. well as far as T20 is concerned there was no copetetion et all, K.P. didnt even came anywhere close to yuvi. So in T20 Yuvi >>>>>>>>>>>> K.P

max_dillon2007 added 1 Minutes and 55 Seconds later...

Period,End of discussion people, Yuvi is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>K.P
I have to disagree with some of those points mate. Yuvraj maybe better but he does not win it hands down and the competition between these two guys is close. The difference is only marginal.:)

Last edited:
My basis is that Yuvraj is more experienced than KP in ODIs. KP comes in at the top of the order and helps England build an innings whereas Yuvraj comes down the order at 5, 6 or 7 and helps India comeback from a collapse and re-build an innings when the top order fails. The situations that these two guys face are different and Yuvraj is mostly under more pressure than KP.

Yuvraj doesn't face anywhere near the pressure that KP faces. Yuvraj has always had class players batting ahead of him, with guys like Dravid, Tendulkar, Ganguly, Sehwag, and now Gambhir coming in ahead of him, meaning he can come in at 5 and have a slog. KP's been the only consistent batsman England have had in the last 3-4 years, and Ben mentioned it ages ago, when KP fails in ODi's England tend to lose. He's under far more pressure than Yuvraj.

Yuvraj has played 200 odd matches and there is no guarantee that KP will able to maintain his 50+ average when he has played as many matches as Yuvraj.

KP doesn't have a 50 average in ODi's now, he averages 48. Another point in KP's favour though, if you look at Yuvraj's record after playing the same amount of ODi's that KP has. After 87 games, here are how the 2 players compare:

Pietersen: 87 matches, 3047 runs at an average of 48.36 with 7 hundreds
Yuvraj: 87 matches, 2046 runs at an average of 31.47 with 2 hundreds

1001 more runs, an average 17 runs higher and 5 more hundreds. Need any further proof than that? Yuvraj is nothing more than a distinctly average ODi batsman who has some potential to destroy attacks on his day, he just doesn't have that day often enough. An average of 31 is really unimpressive, even Andrew Strauss has an average higher than that, and he's a woeful ODi batsman.

Yuvraj seriously is nowhere near as good as you're making out, and frankly has nothing on Pietersen, and never will.

I think at the end of their careers we may be able to see who was the best batsmen.

Currently, KP is probably well ahead of Yuvi (who is still trying to become a permanent in the Test Team.) I'd say that maybe if Yuvi peaks later on it'd be an interesting argument, currently though KP is a well established batter of the English side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yuvraj doesn't face anywhere near the pressure that KP faces. Yuvraj has always had class players batting ahead of him, with guys like Dravid, Tendulkar, Ganguly, Sehwag, and now Gambhir coming in ahead of him, meaning he can come in at 5 and have a slog. KP's been the only consistent batsman England have had in the last 3-4 years, and Ben mentioned it ages ago, when KP fails in ODi's England tend to lose. He's under far more pressure than Yuvraj.

KP doesn't have a 50 average in ODi's now, he averages 48. Another point in KP's favour though, if you look at Yuvraj's record after playing the same amount of ODi's that KP has. After 87 games, here are how the 2 players compare:

Pietersen: 87 matches, 3047 runs at an average of 48.36 with 7 hundreds
Yuvraj: 87 matches, 2046 runs at an average of 31.47 with 2 hundreds

1001 more runs, an average 17 runs higher and 5 more hundreds. Need any further proof than that? Yuvraj is nothing more than a distinctly average ODi batsman who has some potential to destroy attacks on his day, he just doesn't have that day often enough. An average of 31 is really unimpressive, even Andrew Strauss has an average higher than that, and he's a woeful ODi batsman.

Yuvraj seriously is nowhere near as good as you're making out, and frankly has nothing on Pietersen, and never will.
Well, the reason for the low average in his early career was because Yuvraj was young when he made it to the ODI team. A teenager. He learnt the tricks of the trade and peaked when he was 24 or so years old. KP played in a strong domestic competition(2 actually) to get his technique right and mature as a batsman. He debuted when he was 23 or 24 and had a slight upper hand over Yuvraj having played domestic cricket in RSA and also in England. Yuvraj was'nt as lucky in getting the exposure that KP has got. He had to adapt to different conditions and perform straight away in the international stage.

The one thing in common both of them have is spin-phobia.:p

Last edited:
That would have been a decent argument if we comparing their careers after say 30 ODi's, but we're talking 87 ODi's, that's a hell of alot of games, and if Yuvraj hadn't developed into a decent player by that stage then the argument is even further in KP's favour. KP also didn't play domestic much FC cricket in SA. He played 10 FC games in South Africa, only playing 13 innings, with a pretty low average indicating he was batting down the order, which he was, normally batting at 9 or 10. He was not a batsman either, he played as an off spinner, somewhat in the Graeme Swann mould, batting at 8/9/10 but mainly a bowler. So that argument doesn't wash.

He then had 3 years of FC cricket in England with Notts before getting picked for England, and being thrown into the ODi team at 23 in the country of his birth, getting booed to sin recieving alot of hate from the South African fans who felt he betrayed their country, and he proved them wrong, smashing 3 hundreds in his debut series. He proved that it doesn't take long to adapt to international cricket, as under the most pressure possible he stood up and hit runs.

Then he was chucked into an Ashes series, and came into bat on debut with England 3-18, which soonly went to 5-21, and he managed to hit a 50 at a decent strike rate, including hitting Glenn McGrath, a man who had figures of 5-15/16 at this stage onto the top tier of the Lords pavilion. He hit another unbeaten 50 in the 2nd innings, but couldn't stop England from defeat. He was under massive pressure to perform after being massively hyped, and taking the place of Graham Thorpe, one of England's better players of the last generation.

So all this stuff about Yuvraj being inexperienced doesn't wash with me, KP had to adapt his game to English conditions at 21 years of age, on his own in a country away from his home, and within 3 years he was in the England side. Exactly the same as coming into the side as a teenager, with probably more pressure after all the hype. 87 ODi's is more than enough to have a good gague on a players talents, especially considering they've been under the same sort of pressure in their early careers.

Pietersen is a far better player, you're judged by your performances against the best, and Pietersen excelled against Australia's best attack in both forms of the game. What's Yuvraj's record against the Aussies again?

Last edited:
Dont understand how people are even comparing KP and Yuvraj. Sure Yuvraj might be a little better than KP in one day cricket and 20/20 but KP is waaay ahead of Yuvraj in tests. KP is probably in the top 5 batsman list while Yuvraj wouldn't even be in the top 15 or 20. at least in my opinion.

Yuvraj isn't even better in ODi cricket though, I've proved that with stats, Yuvraj has a pretty poor ODi record, and their T20 records are incredibly similar, with almost identical averages and matches played. Pietersen's a far better player in both main forms of the game.

Yuvraj is potentially a brilliant matchwinner ODI/Twenty20 batsman and a good solid test batsman. Whereas Pietersen is those now. Thats the only difference between them as we speak. Yuvraj could be a brilliant player he just needs to find some consistancy. It's been his problem in the past and it's why not so long ago he was written off. But after a good go against England a lot of the Indian fans are touting him as something brilliant. If he has one fantastic calander year, then yes you can prophecise greatness for him. But he's not done all that much so far.

That would have been a decent argument if we comparing their careers after say 30 ODi's, but we're talking 87 ODi's, that's a hell of alot of games, and if Yuvraj hadn't developed into a decent player by that stage then the argument is even further in KP's favour. KP also didn't play domestic much FC cricket in SA. He played 10 FC games in South Africa, only playing 13 innings, with a pretty low average indicating he was batting down the order, which he was, normally batting at 9 or 10. He was not a batsman either, he played as an off spinner, somewhat in the Graeme Swann mould, batting at 8/9/10 but mainly a bowler. So that argument doesn't wash.

He then had 3 years of FC cricket in England with Notts before getting picked for England, and being thrown into the ODi team at 23 in the country of his birth, getting booed to sin recieving alot of hate from the South African fans who felt he betrayed their country, and he proved them wrong, smashing 3 hundreds in his debut series. He proved that it doesn't take long to adapt to international cricket, as under the most pressure possible he stood up and hit runs.

Then he was chucked into an Ashes series, and came into bat on debut with England 3-18, which soonly went to 5-21, and he managed to hit a 50 at a decent strike rate, including hitting Glenn McGrath, a man who had figures of 5-15/16 at this stage onto the top tier of the Lords pavilion. He hit another unbeaten 50 in the 2nd innings, but couldn't stop England from defeat. He was under massive pressure to perform after being massively hyped, and taking the place of Graham Thorpe, one of England's better players of the last generation.

So all this stuff about Yuvraj being inexperienced doesn't wash with me, KP had to adapt his game to English conditions at 21 years of age, on his own in a country away from his home, and within 3 years he was in the England side. Exactly the same as coming into the side as a teenager, with probably more pressure after all the hype. 87 ODi's is more than enough to have a good gague on a players talents, especially considering they've been under the same sort of pressure in their early careers.

Pietersen is a far better player, you're judged by your performances against the best, and Pietersen excelled against Australia's best attack in both forms of the game. What's Yuvraj's record against the Aussies again?
The records:

Yuvraj scoring 719 runs @ 27 with 2 100s compared to KP's 410 runs @ 45 with 1 hundred. Does'nt have the consistency of KP as other members have said aight but shows that he can also play a match winning knock every few games with his 2 100s.

Shri added 1 Minutes and 56 Seconds later...

Dont understand how people are even comparing KP and Yuvraj. Sure Yuvraj might be a little better than KP in one day cricket and 20/20 but KP is waaay ahead of Yuvraj in tests. KP is probably in the top 5 batsman list while Yuvraj wouldn't even be in the top 15 or 20. at least in my opinion.
Accepted that point myself. KP is way better in tests but the competition in ODIs is very close between them which cannot be proved by simply looking at the stats IMO.

28 matches resulting in 2 hundreds vs 12 games 1 hundred. Gives Pietersen a better Match/Hundred conversion rate as well. Yuvraj only has 1 score of 50 other than those 2 hundreds as well, so apart from those 3 scores he's failed in 23 matches. Pietersen has 4 scores of 50 or above (one of those a 91*) from 12 matches, meaning he's only failed in 6 matches if you take out the 2 DNB's. 4 scores of 50+ from 10 innings isn't too shabby if you ask me, and again a far better record than that of Yuvraj.

Want any further statistics to disprove your argument?

Yuvraj isn't even better than KP in ODI's, this is just blatant fanboyism at it's best. It's not even close, use whatever stats you like but KP's ahead. I can't seriously believe there is a discussion on this, maybe you can argue that Yuvraj will go on to be better (although that looks unlikely) but there isn't even a comparison between Pietersen's and Yuvi's acheivements. If you disagree then me and KP will send you an angry email telling you noobs to STFU. :D

Anyway, man to watch, Josh Cobb. Played his village cricket about half a mile down the road from me so I may be slightly hypocritical calling all these lot biased :D Made a few good scores where he got going and was stopped because of rain etc last year, got 148* at Lords and a couple of 50's but like I say there is potential with him. He's playing for under 19's in SAfrica where he's never played now and made 40 and 50 which isn't too shabby when the team are getting dicked on!

28 matches resulting in 2 hundreds vs 12 games 1 hundred. Gives Pietersen a better Match/Hundred conversion rate as well. Yuvraj only has 1 score of 50 other than those 2 hundreds as well, so apart from those 3 scores he's failed in 23 matches. Pietersen has 4 scores of 50 or above (one of those a 91*) from 12 matches, meaning he's only failed in 6 matches if you take out the 2 DNB's. 4 scores of 50+ from 10 innings isn't too shabby if you ask me, and again a far better record than that of Yuvraj.

Want any further statistics to disprove your argument?

Nah, that will do.:p

Enjoyed that debate with you mate.

Yuvraj is potentially a brilliant matchwinner ODI/Twenty20 batsman and a good solid test batsman. Whereas Pietersen is those now. Thats the only difference between them as we speak. Yuvraj could be a brilliant player he just needs to find some consistancy. It's been his problem in the past and it's why not so long ago he was written off. But after a good go against England a lot of the Indian fans are touting him as something brilliant. If he has one fantastic calander year, then yes you can prophecise greatness for him. But he's not done all that much so far.
Us Indian fans have been following him for ages. This is the first time we've seen him go a series where he has played destructive innings in which he also took the team situation into account. Can't blame us for being excited that he might finally be fulfilling his talent.

My vote for the best batsman of the next decade goes to Graeme Smith.

My vote for the best batsman of the next decade goes to Graeme Smith.

Pretty good shout, I always imagine him to be about 30 given how long he's been around. Can he get any better though?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread