Best Batsmen Of next Decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saying that Yuvraj is anywhere near as talented or as good as Pietersen is an outright insult to Kevin Pietersen.
I'm amazed on how you consider yourself such an expert on judging talent that you could just make a statement like that, especially about a player who hit six 6s in an over, a feat accomplished before only by Sobers, Shastri and Gibbs.

If you have a opinion, very good, but don't try to argue that you are right when you are the only one who thinks that way...

Hitting six 6's in an over does not make you an established batsmen. Pieterson is great in Test cricket, great in ODI's and great in twenty20 because he can hit really really big just like Yuvraj but he can also show great temperament and go on with innings.

Hitting six 6's in an over does not make you an established batsmen. Pieterson is great in Test cricket, great in ODI's and great in twenty20 because he can hit really really big just like Yuvraj but he can also show great temperament and go on with innings.
We were talking about talent. You don't hit six sixes without talent, you don't tear sides apart the way he did to England recently without talent. I agree Yuvraj has no temperament (said that a while back), but he does have talent.

Graham Napier hit the 2nd highest score ever in a Twenty20 game, 156*, most sixes in a twenty20 innings, but you don't see England fans claiming he's got as much talent as Kevin Pietersen. Hitting sixes proves talent, yes, but it doesn't prove that you've got as much talent as someone who averages over 50 in Test cricket. You can harp on and on about talent as much as you like, but the proof of the pudding is in their statistics, and when you compare them, Yuvraj has nothing on Pietersen. I'm not saying he's not talented, but as talented as Pietersen, almost certainly not. I'm firmly on Ben's side here.

Last edited:
Graeme Napier hit the 2nd highest score ever in a Twenty20 game, 156*, most sixes in a twenty20 innings, but you don't see England fans claiming he's got as much talent as Kevin Pietersen. Hitting sixes proves talent, yes, but it doesn't prove that you've got as much talent as someone who averages over 50 in Test cricket. You can harp on and on about talent as much as you like, but the proof of the pudding is in their statistics, and when you compare them, Yuvraj has nothing on Pietersen. I'm not saying he's not talented, but as talented as Pietersen, almost certainly not. I'm firmly on Ben's side here.

How can you judge a players talent? How can you quantify it? KP's performed better, yup, but how can you tell who is more gifted? From what I've heard of Napier he's apparently one of the most talented allrounders in England. Atleast that's what his team mates say on Cricinfo...

Well, as far as I'm concerned, a players talent is judged on what they achieve within their area. When comparing Yuvraj Singh and Kevin Pietersen, all you can compare is the pure statistics. Trying to judge a guy on 'talent' is pointless, because until he makes the most of that talent, he can't be compared with a guy who's a proven performer and has made runs against the best sides in the world, whilst maintaining an average above 50 and also keeping an attacking manner at the crease.

Napier had one or 2 good performances with the bat, he's far from an all-rounder in all forms of the game. He bats at 9-10 for Essex in FC cricket, he barely gets a go in 50 over cricket, and although his bowling has seen immense improvement he's far from one of the most talented all-rounders in England.

If he gets a chance Greg Hay could be a fine player. He averages 41 in FC 48 in ODD and 44 in T20, averages that high in all forms of the game is something you don't see often in NZ domestic cricket.

Well, as far as I'm concerned, a players talent is judged on what they achieve within their area. When comparing Yuvraj Singh and Kevin Pietersen, all you can compare is the pure statistics. Trying to judge a guy on 'talent' is pointless, because until he makes the most of that talent, he can't be compared with a guy who's a proven performer and has made runs against the best sides in the world, whilst maintaining an average above 50 and also keeping an attacking manner at the crease.
My point exactly. I agree with you on everything that KP has done better than Yuvi. But for Ben to state that KP has 10 times as much talent seems ridiculous to me. How do you judge?

My point exactly. I agree with you on everything that KP has done better than Yuvi. But for Ben to state that KP has 10 times as much talent seems ridiculous to me. How do you judge?
Talent would be a combination of his persona and his skills of the game and how one can react to different situations. Talent isn't all that much different to potential and I don't see Yuvraj potentially getting anywhere near close to Pietersen as a batsman. Pietersen has the potential to become one of the greatest batsman of alltime. Saying that a clown like Yuvraj Singh has as much talent as him is laughable. Hitting a mediocre 20 year old bowler like Stuart Broad for 6 sixes in a row on 40m boundaries doesn't make you one of the most talented batsman to grace god's green earth.

It's funny how you try to downplay my opinion and saying that it can't be right and that no one agrees with it; especially when someone who I've had heated arguements in the past ends up agreeing with me. It just makes you look idiotic.

Umm...didn't he just say the same thing I've been saying all along?

If you are going to factor attitude to it, then yea, Yuvi's crap and won't get anywhere until he changes. I said that too a while back, if you read carefully enough. But on batting ability and talent alone, I don't see how you could pick between the two. I don't see how you could pick between anyone unless it is a comparison like Hoggard vs. Lara or something,

The dictionary definition of 'talent' is a capacity for achievement or success. This therefore allows you to compare talent by the achievement or success that a player has experienced in their careers. This therefore allows you to just look at the statistics and then make a basic judgement on the players talents. Kevin Pietersen averages over 50 in Test cricket, and after playing the same amount of Tests that Yuvraj has played (25), KP averaged 54.40, and that's without playing any Minnows. KP's first 25 Tests came against Australia, Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka and West Indies. 10 of KP's 45 Test Matches have been played against an attack including Warne and McGrath and he still maintained an average above 50, something that Yuvraj would never be able to match, his record against Australia proves this.

Yuvraj has had Tests against Bangladesh, Zimbabwe and also New Zealand, and still has an average almost 20 runs lower than that of Pietersen. Yuvraj was also made to look a mug with the bat against Australia, averaging 9.14 against them, and even lower in games in Australia.

Also, in ODi's which is said to be Yuvraj's strong suit KP dominates him in terms of stats. After playing the same amount of ODi's, Yuvraj averaged 31.47 whereas KP averages 48.36. KP's strike rate is almost identical as well.

So as far as I'm concerned Yuvraj has nothing on Pietersen. Talent can only be proven by what you achieve, and KP's achievements in the game so far are so much more than Yuvraj will ever achieve. Hitting a massively inexperienced Broad for 6 sixes in an over proves he's got talent, but as an achievement alone it doesn't even come close to what KP's achieved.

Meh, if the dictionary says that, then fine :p But as long as we're clear that it is pointless to judge players on pure ability, then that's okay...

Talent can also be put down as to how good as players technique is. Nothing talented about Yuvraj's technique that a half-decent bowler can't expose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread