Story Brendon vs Callum vs Jono - A Worcestershire Battle

You spelt winning as "winnign" in your first paragraph.

That's a massive score, but I try to be slightly more aggressive, hence why I may lose more wickets. I aim for 300 off my 110 overs, then after 110 overs I start to stick dudes on aggressive to progress the match.

You Ben Cox seems to be 10 times better than mine... :spy

CG123 added 1 Minutes and 49 Seconds later...

County Championship

| . P . | . W . | . L . | . D . | . Bat . | . Bwl . | . Pts . Callum |
5​
|
1​
|
0​
|
4​
|
10​
|
11​
|
49​
Jono |
5​
|
0​
|
2​
|
3​
|
10​
|
10​
|
29​
Brendon. |
5​
|
0​
|
3​
|
2​
|
5​
|
11​
|
22​

Challenge Trophy

| . P . | . W . | . L . | . T . | . NR . | . Pts . Brendon. |
4​
|
2​
|
2​
|
0​
|
0​
|
4​
Callum |
4​
|
0​
|
4​
|
0​
|
0​
|
0​
Jono |
4​
|
0​
|
4​
|
0​
|
0​
|
0​

lol. His form for the season, starting with the first game has been:

27 (FC), 20 (FC), 66 (FC), 5 (FC), 0 (OD), 34 (FC), 1 (FC), 0 (OD), 0 (FC), 5 (2nd), 10 (2nd), 96 (FC)

Worcestershire vs Somerset
Challenge Trophy - group match
23rd May 2010

Teams:

Worcestershire

1. Phil Jaques
2. Vikram Solanki*
3. Imran Arif
4. Alex Kervezee
5. Ben Smith
6. Moeen Ali
7. Joe Leach
8. James Cameron
9. Ben Cox?
10. Matthew Mason
11. Alan Richardson

After getting wasted in our first four OD matches, I had to try something new. Arif was promoted to three as a pinch hitter, and both Leach and Cameron would play together for the first time this season. There was no room for the "defensive" Mitchell.

Somerset

1. Craig Kieswetter?
2. Marcus Trescothick*
3. James Hildreth
4. Zander de Bruyn
5. Arul Suppiah
6. Nick Compton
7. Alfonso Thomas
8. Ben Phillips
9. Murali Kartik
10. Billy Taylor
11. Charl Willoughby

Four and a half stars of prime Somerset beef, up against one star of useless Worcestershire cow dung.

Toss:

Worcestershire won the toss, and chose to bat first.

Match:

Worcestershire - 236 for 7 (40 overs)

Phil Jaques 113 (126)
Moeen Ali 73 (62)
Our next highest score was 19...

Murali Kartik 2-35
Charl Willoughby 2-39

Somerset - 231 all out (38.5 overs)

Marcus Trescothick 107* (100)
Nick Compton 42 (41)
James Hildreth 31 (29)

Moeen Ali 3-0 (1)
Joe Leach 3-46 (7.5)
Alan Richardson 2-48 (8)

Result:

Worcestershire win by 5 runs

Worcestershire 2
Somerset 0

MOTM:

Phil Jaques (113 runs off 126 balls)

Reaction:

Omg, what an incredible upset!!!

That's exactly why I prefer Phil Jaques compared to Shakib Al Hasan. Overall Shakib is probably the better player, but what Jaques is going to do is win you a lot more matches with knocks like that. Shakib will usually bowl an economical eight overs and get one or two wickets, as well as score 20 - 40 runs with the bat, but he's not going to play amazing knocks like that.

Moeen Ali you are a legend, a blistering 73, then one of the most incredible overs in the history of the game. With nine overs to go they were cruising, needing just 29 runs, with six wickets in hand, at a measly 3.2 runs an over. Trescothick was at the wicket on 95 off 83, and Compton was there on 42 off 38. We'd pretty much given up hope, so tossed the ball to part-time bowler Moeen Ali. The first two balls to Compton were dot balls, and he wanted to get a big one away. With the field spread Ali tossed one up there, Compton had no idea, as he was clean bowled. South African all-rounder Alfonso Thomas then walked to the wicket, first up he played it safe with a dot ball. Then on the second to last ball of the over Ali tossed one up there again, this time is spun past his bat, hitting his pad having him plumb LBW. On the last ball of the over bowler Ben Phillips walked to the wicket, and in a repeat of the last ball he was sent packing LBW. A dramatic game changing over by Moeen Ali now saw Somerset need 29 runs, with just three wickets in hand, at a 3.6 runs an over. From then on in it was all us, as Richardson and Leach done the damage at the death.

Just two matches ago Worcestershire were that team you're always going to beat, and it was more of a case of by how much were you going to improve your NRR against them, but now they may be back to their best.

:eek: A nice win there, Ali's not too shabby with the ball :p Got 4 wickets for me before so hopefully he'll play like that in my next match. He should have got the MOTM :p Jaques hasn't performed for me at all with the bat so hopefully he can do better as well.

I've redone the first post, hopefully you guys like it. :)

Also for the T20 matches which are coming up, do you want to post two matches per update???

First page looks much more organised now :) This has only been going for under 2 weeks and we've got lots of story entries already lol

The posts would get a bit cluttered that way, I think maybe 2 matches a day, but you don't have to wait for the other people to post their entry though.

Ok, I meant pretty much what you're saying.
It's just that 16 T20 matches at one match a day would last almost three weeks, and I don't want to spend three weeks playing that T20 ████. :spy

Out of interest, since I can play two international players in the T20's, will I be able to play Jaques even if Shakib's around???
Or will I just be able to play two of Shakib, Smith and Jayasuriya???

Nope, two of Shakib, Smith and Jayasuriya I think.

yea t20s would take ages that way

I'm wondering where to bat Smith.
He'll easily be our best batsman, but it would look retarded batting him at three.
I might slot him in at four/five.
Since I'll play Smith, I'll probably play Jaques if Shakib's away on INT duty, but if he's here I'm not sure who to play out of him and Sanath.

Just looking at Worcestershire's latest match in real life.
David Wheeldon should be an opening batsman, not an all-rounder like he is in ICC 2010.
Other than that, our line-up's seem to look similar to their one in real life.
They however play Shantry ahead of Arif.

CG123 added 0 Minutes and 31 Seconds later...

Also Ali seems to be a genuine AR as well.

23rd May 2010
Challenge Troph - Group Match

Playing XI?s

Worcestershire

1. Daryl Mitchell
2. Phil Jaques
3. Moeen Ali
4. Vikram Solanki*?
5. Ben Smith
6. Alex Kervezee
7. David Wheeldon
8. Imran Arif
9. Matthew Mason
10. Alan Richardson
11. Chris Whelan

Somerset

1. Craig Kieswetter?
2. Marcus Trescothick*
3. James Hildreth
4. Arul Suppiah
5. Nick Compton
6. Peter Trego
7. Alfonso Thomas
8. Alex Tudor
9. Ben Phillips
10. Murali Kartik
11. Charl Willoughby

Chris Whelan comes in for his first game for the season as I continue to play with my bowling lineup. Apart from that, no changes.

I lost the toss and bowled first, with Mason delivering some shocking full tosses to Trescothick in his first over. He did bowl one delivery that was really weird. It looked to hit Trescothick on his pads, but went right through them, and somehow missed the stumps as well to be put down as a played and missed. I guess it must have gone between his legs, and narrowly avoided the stumps. Despite this, Mason managed to get Trescothick caught and bowled in his next over. The powerplay came and Kieswetter and Hildreth especially were hitting the ball all around the park to the boundary. We were also fielding as bad as Pakistan, with a dropped catch at first slip off Wheeldon, and Solanki conceding numerous byes. The run rate was slowing, but this was probably in anticipation of a late slog, as Somerset were still only 1 down. Arif got some good deliveries through to the keeper, but we couldn't make a breakthrough. The onslaught started when I brought Ali for a bowl, and Kieswetter and Hildreth started hitting out. Hildreth somehow managed to hit a full delivery for a backfoot pull shot, but was out lbw to a similar delivery later in the over. At this point, the batting powerplay was taken, and Kieswetter went made, hitting fours everywhere. Suppiah was more uncertain, but all his edges miraculously went to the boundary. Kieswetter soon made his century off 109 balls, and celebrated by hitting the next ball for a six. He finished with 115 off 116, in a great innings that may have won the game for them.

We basically needed to hit a boundary every over for the first 20 overs, then we could start about trying to win the match. Mitchell and Jaques started off very well with Mitchell looking in sublime form. He was cruelly given out LBW to one that hit him outside off stump, and looked as if it was only narrowly going to hit the stumps. He had helped provide a base from which we could build on however, as we were 59/1 after 11 overs. Jaques took up the aggressor role, playing superbly all around the ground. Kartik came on and started troubling the batsmen however, with edges and played and misses. Eventually, one of the edges went to hand, and Ali was out for 24. We would need a good innings from the captain if we wanted to win. Jaques was bowled by Thomas however, and it was hoped that his 88 off 85 would not be in vain. Smith didn't hang around for long, and with his dismissal the batting powerplay was taken. 73 were needed off 8 overs. The batsmen were having a difficult time getting bat onto ball however, before one over bowled by Thomas went for 20 runs. The required rate was down to 31 off 4 overs, and we had a real shot of winnings. Kervezee eventually scored the winnings runs with consecutive fours off Tudor, as we won by 6 wickets.

This was a great performance from the team. The bowling could have been better, but we were able to contain Somerset, as they could easily have scored more. The batting was superb however, Mitchell and Jaques played aggressively from the outset, and even when they left, they had set a good platform for us to build from. Solanki's 72 from 48 was undoubtedly the matchwinning knock, but Kieswetter was man of the match for his century.

45333654.png

Worcestershire won by 6 wickets

Pressure's on Hedger to win now :p

Chewie added 2 Minutes and 17 Seconds later...

Just looking at Worcestershire's latest match in real life.
David Wheeldon should be an opening batsman, not an all-rounder like he is in ICC 2010.
Other than that, our line-up's seem to look similar to their one in real life.
They however play Shantry ahead of Arif.

CG123 added 0 Minutes and 31 Seconds later...

Also Ali seems to be a genuine AR as well.

Yea, at the beginning of the game I don't think Wheeldon's bowled any overs at all. Arif had a good season a few years ago, but hasn't continued that form I think, which is why Shantry plays instead of him.

And yes Ali is an all-rounder, probably more a batting all-rounder but still decent with the ball. That's why I got him in the EPL, he's supposed to be a promising young batsman and part time spinner

Yay, your first win. :hpraise
Jaques finally found some form for you, and Solanki played a great knock.
Like you said, lets see if Hedger can make it three in three against Somerset.

This is there main FC line-up in RL:
(Based on the XI people who've played the most matches)

1. Mitchell
2. Jaques
3. Solanki*
4. Ali
5. Kervezee
6. Smith
7. Ben Scott† (On loan in RL)
8. Andrew/Cameron/Mason
9. Jones
10. Richardson
11. Shantry

This is there main OD line-up in RL:

1. Solanki*
2. Jaques
3. Ali
4. Kervezee
5. Smith
6. Mitchell
7. Cameron
8. Ben Scott† (On loan in RL)
9. Andrew
10. Jones
11. Shantry

This is there main T20 line-up in RL:

1. Jaques
2. Jayasuriya
3. Ali
4. Kervezee
5. Mitchell*
6. Manuel
7. Cameron
8. Andrew
9. Cox†
10. Shantry
11. Arif

Solanki only played 7 out of 16 matches.
Mason and Richardson only played three matches between them.

23rd May 2010
Challenge Trophy - Group Match​

Teams:

Worcestershire

1. Daryl Mitchell
2. Phil Jaques
3. Vikram Solanki*
4. Alex Kervezee
5. Jack Manuel
6. David Wheeldon
7. Ben Cox?
8. Imran Arif
9. Gareth Andrew
10. Matthew Mason
11. Alan Richardson

Somerset

1. Craig Kieswetter?
2. Marcus Trescothick*
3. James Hildreth
4. Zander de Bruyn
5. Arul Suppiah
6. Nick Compton
7. Peter Trego
8. Alfonso Thomas
9. Alex Tudor
10. Ben Phillips
11. Charl Willoughby

Ben Smith dropped and Gareth Andrew coming back into the side is the only change we made and hopefully Mitchell could continue his outstanding form to win against Somerset. Ben Cox was moved back up to #7 after his 96 in the previous match. I think we had a good chance of beating Somerset and hopefully the team could do it.

Toss:

Somerset won the toss and elected to bowl first

Worcestershire - 173/9

Daryl Mitchell 37 (53)
Ben Cox 33 (43)

Charl Willoughby 6/39 (8)

Somerset - 162 all out

Alfonso Thomas 45 (37)
Craig Kieswetter 36 (41)

Imran Arif 2/25 (8)
Gareth Andrew 2/30 (7)
Alan Richardson and David Wheeldon both took 2 wickets each

Worcestershire won by 11 runs

Comments:

Great bowling performance by the lads everyone chipping in with wickets. Arif and Wheeldon were the men who won us the game though having them at 2/86 before they took 4 wickets between them to have Somerset at 6/96 and on track to win before the other bowlers took the final few wickets to win the game. The batting performance wasn't great, only Mitchell and Cox passing 30. It was a batsman's pitch so it was surprising to see a very low total from both teams.

Lol your Ben Cox is much better than ours :p

Some good bowling won you that one though :)

Users who are viewing this thread