Codemasters Next World Cup Cricket Title Rumour?

lazy_chesnut

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
The post above mentioning WOW (plus my new awareness of Tiger Woods Online) made me think: what about a cricket game which sees you starting a franchise, a bit like IPL and playing against people over the internet. You could buy upgrades for training, transfers and stuff like that etc.

Could be pretty cool.

Sureshot

Executive member
Isn't that what Cricket Revolution is? Though, maybe not at such a depth.

I think there have been several reasons why cricket sims have hit a wall. Not very interactive gameplay, poor support of titles, title release itself has generally been of a poor standard and I think a lack of obvious features. Cricket is all about stats, yet stats recording in IC'10 is really weak.

Why go for a market that'll be 200,000 people tops, when there are loads more out there that are bigger. Take Codies and F1, the game itself is solid, but far from the finished article, yet has sold in the millions.

Could be a very quiet few years on the cricket sim front. I personally think it's shouting out for an established motion control system (that doesn't feel like a 5 year olds toy, like the Wii), I think the next-gen consoles could well have that at the forefront of their features, if that gets nailed, the likes of cricket/baseball sims could improve significantly from a gameplay POV. Along with multiplayer, which has been growing at a huge rate across all genres, if that is nailed you keep people interested in the product for years, retention rate is what makes business work. All well and good bringing in new customers, but losing repeat business will be the death knell for many a product, you have to listen to the customers.

There's money to be made there, but it's a tough one to crack.

lazy_chesnut

International Coach
If you want to make money from cricket, you sell it to the sub-continent. I bet there are a lot of people from the sub-continent who would play a WOW-style cricket game.

session

Club Cricketer
And it was the PC when first games started! Without PC there would not be any consoles.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
And it was the PC when first games started!
I'd point out all that is wrong with this statement, but instead just remind you this is a thread to discuss future Codemasters releases - not to have an argument about the merits of different systems.

There's plenty of threads in the Tech section to discuss this all.

79cricket

Panel of Selectors
I know a lot of pc people think ic 2010 is a load of s__t and in someways i agree but its still the best out there. All i want is codemasters[trickstar] to keep making cricket games once a year or if they need the time every 2 years. If they look at what worked for ic2010 and for what almost did and of course the bad faults then the future looks good for cricket games. I think they need to hire few more people to just work on the stats and that is all, then the rest can play ic2010 to death and see what improvements can be made in the time they have. I could write all the things we want to see in a cricket game of the future but to be honest we all know most of them already guys. Also one last thing, trickstar need to go where cricket is liked and let people play more of it with lots of time to fix what we find is wrong with the game. So aus,india and uk is a start and for god sake get the licence from ea sports.:yes:D

Blake84

School Cricketer
I dont even expect that much. I'm happy with how this game looks. If fully liscensed teams means no stat editing then I'd prefer not to have them. What I want fixed is the dumb sh#t that has been in every cricket game I can remember like stupid field settings, constant no balls and people like Jayawardene bowling ten overs. Honestly. And I would pay anything for this game. I would seriously pay thousands of dollars for such a game. I know they probably make most of their money off casual gamers who dont care about the little things but it cant be that hard to fix these things.

Lassana Dias

Club Cricketer
i dont see a good game coming in near future. maybe in 2025 we might get something realistic.. that is if we past 2012 if you know what i mean

Gone4aDuck

International Coach
Why not just play online? I'll give anyone a game on live. Just add me. Then it doesnt matter about bad AI. I know people will reply to this by saying on line doesnt work. But i have played 7 games in the last 2 days online, with not 1 single disconection. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread