Commonwealth Bank Series (Australia, India, Sri Lanka)

Took a look at the highlights and have figured out the key to Ishant's success. It is a very subtle change in the action and follow through which means that he does not fall away in the action like in Pakistan and Bangladesh. This means that he gets greater pace and it allows him to move it away from the right hander. It also reduces his inswing which is actually a good thing as it draws batsmen into drives rather than playing him on the leg side comfortably.

I am sceptical about the change to the action being intentional (I have a theory that it is to do with the faster pitches making him run in more), but to be honest, I don't really care.:)

By the way, why do you think Karthik shouldn't/won't get another go?

Gambhir averages 26.75 against quality (non minnow/Bangladesh) opposition in ODIs. Karthik averages 22.00 against ALL opposition in ODIs. Gambhir should have just crept in the squad based on some promising past performances, but you need to draw the line at an average of 22.00 and a strike rate under 70.

Last edited:
Hmmm... India win by 5 wickets!!!

Whooohooo... Probably first time my prediction came true!:cool:

What a match!!!!!

Batsmen almost lost it for us but good that Indian bowling is keeping up. Seeing this I think they should walk over Sri Lanka easily.

Tough wicket. But the Indian bowlers won it for us. Our batters still need time out there. I would push Rohit Sharma up ahead of Yuvraj. Yuvraj is again falling away after playing well. If I remember right, he started off with a bang, stuttered and then to be dropped, came back with a bang, and is again now stuttering... I am beginning to believe in what Greg Chappell said "Yuvraj thinks that he is a star when he is on the way to becoming one"

The fifth over of the Indian innings showed why Tendulkar is so popular. Breathtaking shots, simply superb ! Made for youtube.

Ishant bowled a ball at 149 kph !! That's way past 90 miles.

Agree.... That over was magnificient!

I am surprised and shocked at seeing Ishant's speed. This guy was consistently bowling in the upper 140's (over 145kph). With some body building (body building, not fat building), he can possibly increase his pace and become an express pace bowler like Lee. He badly need such a bowler who can worry the batsmen with just pace

Im just happy they won. I hope the weather remains cloudy throughout tournament. This weather suits Indian attack :D

More than the weather, it was the wicket and the Indian bowlers that did the trick for us today.

Anyways, I am happy too that we won (though bonus point would have been a bonus!). Seeing the way we played against Sri Lanka and the way SL played against Australia, if everything goes well, we should have the wood over Sri Lanka as much as possible. That would set us up for a mouth watering final against Australia.

Yes, I am very happy with the way our "second string" bowling attack has fired. Zaheer and RP Singh should be quite scared IMO with how well Sreesanth and Ishanth are bowling :)
Chak De India! :D

I dont want Zaheer back unless he gets better on his fitness. I would want RP back so that our bowling attack is pretty well rounded enough. Though I would say Zaheer is a better back up than Munaf Patel (plz dont bring this guy anywhere near the Indian national side plz)

Last edited:
I am not sure that Ishant needs more physical training than the average fast bowler. He can bowl long spells at consistent pace and already has the strength to bowl at 145kph. I think just some core stability to ensure he never returns to falling away in his action is all he really needs.

Gambhir averages 26.75 against quality (non minnow/Bangladesh) opposition in ODIs. Karthik averages 22.00 against ALL opposition in ODIs. Gambhir should have just crept in the squad based on some promising past performances, but you need to draw the line at an average of 22.00 and a strike rate under 70.

So what you are saying is, there is no way that Karthik should get a go in the team?

Harsh, but we can all have our say.

So what you are saying is, there is no way that Karthik should get a go in the team?

Harsh, but we can all have our say.

Yes. Dinesh Karthik should not get a go in the ODI team unless his scores some major Test runs or domestic one day runs.

Thanks Dear .mob for Video.That was nice..I never have any doubt about R sharma or M tiwari's Capability.But My point was you can't Expect them to replace any of our Great players..They can set their own Introduction in world cricket and thats the only best way for them to achive their goals....
Best of luck to them..Anyway thanks its so nice of you.

Is it 4 points for a win? Well 2 points for a draw, no points for a loss and a extra or bonus point if you chase down a target before 40 overs bowled or you bowl them out for something under a certain target. That is all i know.

I am not sure that Ishant needs more physical training than the average fast bowler. He can bowl long spells at consistent pace and already has the strength to bowl at 145kph. I think just some core stability to ensure he never returns to falling away in his action is all he really needs.
The problem is all our pace bowlers start out with a bang and then fall away to a combination of form, injuries and poor selection. It has happened with Zaheer, Balaji, Nehra, Pathan, etc.

Is it 4 points for a win? Well 2 points for a draw, no points for a loss and a extra or bonus point if you chase down a target before 40 overs bowled or you bowl them out for something under a certain target. That is all i know.
I think so. And I believe the bonus point rule is that you get a bonus point if you score more than 1.25 times the run rate of your opposition. When chasing this is basically achieved by getting to the target within 40 overs and when defending you have to get them out for lower than 80% of your score. So you'd have to get them out for under 200 if you scored 250.

Last edited:
The problem is all our pace bowlers start out with a bang and then fall away to a combination of form, injuries and poor selection. It has happened with Zaheer, Balaji, Nehra, Pathan, etc.

I agree. I even wrote an article at the start of Ishant's career claiming that he should not play in the CB Series due to a risk of burnout. However, the critical differences which I have realised is that:
a) Ishant is a yard quicker than all the aforementioned.
b) Ishant can sustain pace over long spells.
c) Ishant has been relatively injury free for his first two/three seasons.

I think they need proper combination and little bit schedule for every Bowler...You just can't stick with any Bowler who is doing well...You have to make Format by which bowler can play limited Matches in a year..That will help for sure.By this way you not only reduce chance of injury but also increase Afficiancy and length of their career..
We have enough option so you can go in one serise with Z KHAN,,SREESANTH , PATHAN and VRV SINGH
On other day pick up RP SINGH,I SHARMA,I PATHAN,R BHOSH...

domestic one day runs.

Well, he did score heavily in the Challenger Trophy, his hundred was a superb knock.

Vaibhav - no worries, my friend, I just wish I could post for the whole forum to see Tiwary bat.

I agree. I even wrote an article at the start of Ishant's career claiming that he should not play in the CB Series due to a risk of burnout. However, the critical differences which I have realised is that:
a) Ishant is a yard quicker than all the aforementioned.
b) Ishant can sustain pace over long spells.
c) Ishant has been relatively injury free for his first two/three seasons.
I believe this is only Ishant's third tour. By Irfan's third tour we were hailing him as India's answer to Wasim Akram. We Indians become too hyped about fast bowlers since we haven't had a great one in ages.

Ishant has not really been playing international cricket for 3 seasons. I just hope he doesn't become another addition to the injury list. We could probably put up an XI out of injured Indian pace bowlers.

Vaibhav - no worries, my friend, I just wish I could post for the whole forum to see Tiwary bat.
Hmm... you should definitely post it for me (aka PM). :D Haven't actually seen Tiwary bat!

Last edited:
Well, he did score heavily in the Challenger Trophy, his hundred was a superb knock.

After his disasterous performances in ODIs so far, he'll need more than two good innings.

I believe this is only Ishant's third tour. By Irfan's third tour we were hailing him as India's answer to Wasim Akram. We Indians become too hyped about fast bowlers since we haven't had a great one in ages.

Ishant has not really been playing international cricket for 3 seasons. I just hope he doesn't become another addition to the injury list. We could probably put up an XI out of injured Indian pace bowlers.

I am fully aware of all of this. Ishant should still not go on all of India's tours yet, but make no mistake that he is a major part of the present as well as the future.

Last edited:

Spot on Bro...I think as we always lack of gud bowlers,any SUPERB perfomance in one serise make us emotional..I am not taking anything from ISHANT efforts...I am just telling that SACHIN scored his 1st 100 in 69th ODI..we need to give little bit time to this Youngsters..:D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread