Commonwealth Bank Series (Australia, India, Sri Lanka)

Ya guys i told you,someone need to kidnape munaf?anybody there in australia who can do favour for us!

Good stuff by India. Munaf Patel was impressive with the new ball, bowling in the 130-140kph region in the corridor of uncertainty. However, his warming up period at the beginning of an innings and at the beginning of a spell needs to be improved. Perhaps he could try the Shaun Tait tactic of using a bouncer (or two) with full shoulder drive to just loosen up all the muscles. He, more than anyone needs fitness work.

Ishant and Pathan were good but it seems that Praveen Kumar is limited without the new ball. It would seem that his deadly form with the new ball got him into the team and he does not have the oppotunity to use it with three other Indian bowlers (four if you count Sreesanth), who excel with it. Kumar's legendary slogging has also failed him in his two international appearances but perhaps he could be useful in the future as a pinch hitter on a flat pitch. Possibly a future opener with Sehwag?!

As for the Indian batting, Gautam Gambhir has failed, as I predicted. 15 off 34 balls is not the start you would want from an opening batsman in the powerplays, unless they convert starts more often. Sehwag (Kumar or Uthappa) scoring 15 off 15 is far more valuable. He can just about stay for now at number three with his recent good form; but opening should be off limits for him in the 50 over game.

Uthappa also failed and I think that he should probably be dropped in favour of Suresh Raina. Keeping faith of both of them in the squad, it would be fine to rotate the two (and maybe Tiwary) pending form in a period of five or so matches.

Rohit Sharma chipped it well with 24 off 36 balls. Mahendra Singh Dhoni and Irfan Pathan displayed superb middle order finesse with 50 off 68 and 31 off 41 respectively. Pathan's dismissal was a tad immature, but I believe it was a mere rush of blood.

But the man of the hour was Yuvraj Singh. Remind me, who was in favour of dropping him? Superb innings with the flowing shots which he has shown in the past few years - in which he had been superbly consistent. Three bad innings and you want him dropped?!

What's with all the hate against Kumar? He plays one international game and you expect him to take 8 wickets and score a century off 60 balls? That's absolute bullshit. Just give them some time to acclimatize.

What's with all the hate against Kumar? He plays one international game and you expect him to take 8 wickets and score a century off 60 balls? That's absolute bullshit. Just give them some time to acclimatize.

There is no hate. I have been the main person on this forum who want him to be picked and I still rate him beyond Sreesanth. But on a realistic scale, you must understand that we do not live in a perfect world, and he very well may (may, not should be) be discarded for the next series.

There is no hate. I have been the main person on this forum who want him to be picked and I still rate him beyond Sreesanth. But on a realistic scale, you must understand that we do not live in a perfect world, and he very well may (may, not should be) be discarded for the next series.
I'm not talking about you. I'm talking about a few posts on the previous page.

I'm not talking about you. I'm talking about a few posts on the previous page.

Okay:)

He is unlucky to be around at a time where India are churning out pacers who bowl 135kph (the BCCI love their pace) and take large amount of international wickets...

Off the top of my head, he has to compete with...
-Zaheer
-Irfan
-Ishant
-Munaf
-Sreesanth
-RP Singh
-Chawla

In the ODI setup alone.

I saw the highlights about an hour ago and Yuvraj played brilliantly. He looks to have regained form and confidence and looked his best. Munaf Patel bowled well and Sharma could easily have a few more wickets as he at times got a lot of movement off the seam. Harbhajan bowled well at the death when Sri Lanka were looking for boundries and proved crucial.
Rohit Sharma, who is a good player will be disappointed in the way he got out and he looked promising.

The Sri Lankans would be disappointed with their performance. They were 15-20 runs short with the bat despite the efforts of Sangakarra and Jayawardene. The fielding at times was quite poor especially from Malinga who let 3 over-throws go.

Sri Lanka face an uphill task to get to the finals now as they have to win all of their remaining games but India are nearly there to the finals.

The one and only Yuvraj Singh of course ;):p

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Don't forget, we lost 3 wickets in quick succession. We cannot expect Yuvraj to come out and do that every time from now onwards if our top order continuously fails to fire.

Once again, I think fielding 5 bowlers is a miscalculated decision. Our batting line up lacks in depth (at the moment) as it is, and then you take another batsman out of the equation. We need some stability in this batting line up.

I was also pleased to see Pathan coming much lower down the order today.

It was overall a terrific win by India. It was close which was good. But Sri Lanka where in such good positions during that much but failed to make their opportunities. Sri Lanka would need some more wins to have any chance to make the finals.

I dont know why India persist with Munaf. He is a shoddy fielder. Cant contribute anything with the bat and puts next to no effort in at all. In his bowling if things arent going well for him he will basically throw a tantrum and his performance may bring the rest of the teams performance down. He cant be included in my opnion.

Perfectly said!

Sri Lanka need to win all the three games (or win two games with bonus points on each of them, and hope that India lose to Australia which will tie them on the points table).

Technically, its all loaded against Sri Lanka. For a team that has not beaten Australia at all on this tour, it will be a big ask for them to win a match against Australia (let alone winning two in a trot OR winning one with a bonus point). I am backing an India v Australia final now (almost like 95% sure), which would be AWESOME!!!

Last edited:
tbh, Sangakkara got all the jaya's out when he was batting, 2 Wickets for Sangakkara!, yey!:laugh.

I don't think Srilanka gonna made it with Current Form of their Batsman.
They need to win all their Matches.I can say Upset can happen against India but then also They have left two Matches against AUSSIS.
and Current Srilanka team winning against AUSSIS must be a nightmare.

Users who are viewing this thread