DBC14 | Full Game Play with BARS Video

No, the angle of the seam is tilted towards slips. I think you got it all wrong. Look for some actual videos of swing bowling on youtube.

No, the angle of the seam is tilted towards slips. I think you got it all wrong. Look for some actual videos of swing bowling on youtube.

I think there is some confusion - in the BARS video, the seam is clearly angled towards the leg side and it swings that way...

Just curious. Did the ball SWING at all in the BARS video? Looked just a seam movement to me. In which case does it matter which way the seam was pointing towards? I thought seam bowling produces unpredictable change in direction due to uneven seams. And yes i am just talking about the BARS video.

Just curious. Did the ball SWING at all in the BARS video? Looked just a seam movement to me. In which case does it matter which way the seam was pointing towards? I thought seam bowling produces unpredictable change in direction due to uneven seams. And yes i am just talking about the BARS video.

Second that. I could hardly see any swing there. It did seam though.

Yes Swing is in the air and seam is off the pitch. The seam is the proper word here.

----------

I think there is some confusion - in the BARS video, the seam is clearly angled towards the leg side and it swings that way...

I am talking about seam not swing. I am sorry for the confusion. The delivery in the video did not swing although it was meant to swing outwards but such an angle definitely help seam the bowl away from the batsman as was the case with the delivery under discussion. It pitched and straightened to get the dismissal.

Yes Swing is in the air and seam is off the pitch. The seam is the proper word here.

----------

I am talking about seam not swing. I am sorry for the confusion. The delivery in the video did not swing although it was meant to swing outwards but such an angle definitely help seam the bowl away from the batsman as was the case with the delivery under discussion. It pitched and straightened to get the dismissal.

What I feel is it was an intended in swinger that didn't swing. It seamed though off the pitch and hit Angad plum in the middle.
To ppl confusing over the seam position, yes it was the way an in swinger is bowled, but it didn't swing! It seamed off the pitch, straightening up which gave many an illusion of out swing.

Previous games never got swing right. They had this ridiculous notion that only medium pacers could swing the ball (although if you check the article I posted there are some speeds that are better for certain types of swing)

When swing was finally introduced to fast bowlers it was out of control and hoopy. One game you even controlled it like a remote control after it left your hand, how ridiculous is that?

In this game I just want realistic swing, which in most cases is subtle and when combined with a bit of seam: DEADLY!

But the batsman never followed the line of the ball may be because they wanted to force a lbw. It would have been great if the batsman been squared up.

Previous games never got swing right. They had this ridiculous notion that only medium pacers could swing the ball (although if you check the article I posted there are some speeds that are better for certain types of swing)

When swing was finally introduced to fast bowlers it was out of control and hoopy. One game you even controlled it like a remote control after it left your hand, how ridiculous is that?

In this game I just want realistic swing, which in most cases is subtle and when combined with a bit of seam: DEADLY!

With a full fledged physics system, the subtle swing would be both enough and make sense. With realistic edges and all, a little deviation from the path of the ball is more than enough. That makes it much more real.

With a full fledged physics system, the subtle swing would be both enough and make sense. With realistic edges and all, a little deviation from the path of the ball is more than enough. That makes it much more real.

But as far as I know Ross's confirmed somewhere that we'll get to perceive it as well, along with it's gameplay effects. We don't want comical looking swing animation (as in C07), and I'm sure Ross & co's taken care of that. :yes

I agree....the ball is intended to move 'away' from the Right Handed batsman (and it did).

Think of it like this, imagine you are holding the ball in your left hand with your fingers on the seam. Now one of the ways to bowl the outswinger to a right handed batsman would be to tilt the ball slightly on its axis towards the right and release it with a straightish wrist....this would make the ball swing towards the left of your screen (if conditions are favourable) and also seam 'just a bit' after pitching. In this case it did not swing at all but just seamed a bit after pitching!

You also see this same seam position incase of a right handed bowler bowling outswingers with a slightly round arm action (like Agarkar...I remember the seam looking exactly like this when he used to bowl his outswingers. Even Malinga does the same when bowling outswingers, e.g:

malinga.jpg

You can compare it to this:

y65NEoQ.jpg

Although the camera angle is reversed, you can still see that the ball is tilted towards the right and the left side of the ball (if you divide it by the seam) is more visible than the right side!

Edit:

Here is Agarkar bowling a similar delivery:

21102012_Ajit_Agarkar.jpg

Again you can see, the ball is tilted towards the right and the left side of the ball is more visible than the right (if you imagine it from the bowler's view).

Another pic you can use is this one from Irfan Pathan. As you know, he bowls some big inswingers (for a right hander)...this is how the seam looks when he bowls:

irfan-pathan.jpg

As you can see, from the bowler's view, the right side of the ball is more visible than the left (which is the opposite of what we saw in the DBC14 video).

It wasnt just 'any' delivery that got me out....it took a really special one :p!!

Sorry Dutchad for continuing on this topic again, but am just excited to see realistic seam movement in a cricket game :p!! Cant wait to bowl in this game :cheers!

Last edited:
^Thanks for that Angad. It is explained really well. If You tube was available I would have attached a video of Wasim to Show this fact.

Users who are viewing this thread