DBC14 PC Version 1.14

he underestimated the scale of the piracy, and the ability of his initial strategy of interfering with their gameplay and supporting the product to generate sales. so what, he should just take it now?

if someone breaks into my house, i'd buy a better lock/alarm, not say "oh well i should have had a better one to start with, so i guess it's open season for the burgulars now".
In the current situation, those on pirated copies of the game would be able to continue playing the game as it stood at version 1.13 (though hopefully have a nicely corrupted career and get drowned by the rain), while a paying customer without an internet connection for whatever reason won't be able to.

It's a no win situation at the moment for everyone - because the people who have stolen the game won't be impacted - it will take Big Ant putting considerable extra investment into new features and benefits to getting the game legit before pirates start feeling pressure.

One question ....are you a lawyer???
Asked because you are using "Australian consumer law" too many times...
The point of consumer rights is that you shouldn't need to be a lawyer to be protected by them.

Obligatory Chaser.

Was this always here? Or was it added more recently?

If it's always been there, I'd say case closed and you can all return to your legal practices. :)
It was there from start.......even on my physical copy......

In the current situation, those on pirated copies of the game would be able to continue playing the game as it stood at version 1.13 (though hopefully have a nicely corrupted career and get drowned by the rain), while a paying customer without an internet connection for whatever reason won't be able to.

It's a no win situation at the moment for everyone - because the people who have stolen the game won't be impacted - it will take Big Ant putting considerable extra investment into new features and benefits to getting the game legit before pirates start feeling pressure.

The point of consumer rights is that you shouldn't need to be a lawyer to be protected by them.

Obligatory Chaser.
The pirates don't have the improvements just introduced or to be introduced.[DOUBLEPOST=1411250715][/DOUBLEPOST]
Was this always here? Or was it added more recently?

If it's always been there, I'd say case closed and you can all return to your legal practices. :)
Wait wait wait... You mean Alberts was talking rubbish? My whole worldview is now shattered.

I love people who don't understand what they're talking about, talking about things they don't understand.

Welcome to the internet then.

I'm quite happy for people to talk this out and I think some of the replies could probably be less adversarial. DRM has a bad image and there are genuine concerns about its usage but I can't fault Big Ant for choosing to implement it at this point (and still offering refunds for customers who want them).

You need to have a stable internet connection to start the game, that was not advertised with the sale, the point remains. It's not nonsense by any stretch.

Whilst I have no intention of asking for a refund, it's worth pointing out that if people are having an issue, under Australian law they should be entitled to it from what I can find.

By being on Steam you have to have a internet connection, it was and is advertised. In the alternative, it is implied.

In the case of our product in particular, we have clearly stated from day one (as @Chief points out above) that it is a "System Requirement" for you to have an internet connection.

Law is studied for years at Uni, there's a reason for that, and even then it takes years before you're any good. Nonsense is what I would call your argument.

Pro-Tip Alberts, check the contract before applying the relevant law.

Last edited:
Welcome to the internet then.

I'm quite happy for people to talk this out and I think some of the replies could probably be less adversarial. DRM has a bad image and there are genuine concerns about its usage but I can't fault Big Ant for choosing to implement it at this point (and still offering refunds for customers who want them).

Hi Barmy, already had someone PM that they want a refund as they just don't like the game - just to be clear, I offered one guy on here a refund and one guy on Steam. The offer to the guy on here was rescinded.

For the avoidance of all doubt, as listed on Steam, never edited since launch, Minimum System Requirements for DBC14:
  • Processor: Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5700 @ 3.00Ghz/AMD Athlon II X2 250 Processor 3.01Ghz
  • Memory: 2 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Radeon HD 6670 or NVIDIA Geforce GT520 with Min 1GB Memory
  • DirectX: Version 9.0c
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
  • Hard Drive: 2 GB available space
  • Additional Notes: Controller Required
We can move on now perhaps?

By being on Steam you have to have a internet connection, it was and is advertised. In the alternative, it is implied.

In the case of our product in particular, we have clearly stated from day one (as @Chief points out above) that it is a "System Requirement" for you to have an internet connection.

Law is studied for years at Uni, there's a reason for that, and even then it takes years before you're any good. Nonsense is what I would call your argument.

Pro-Tip Alberts, check the contract before applying the relevant law.

Why go on the attack Ross? Really? It really just feels a bit petty when most of what I was saying was talking about how good a job your side has done on dealing with issues with the game. Considering the touchy nature of DRM, and the potential community backlash I'd highly suggest that's not the way to go. Whether right or wrong that kind of response has the potential to put customers offside.

Regardless of "Broadband Internet Connection" being listed under "System Requirements" from the start, it is listed under "System Requirements" for many games on Steam, and the reason given in many cases is due to how it needs to be installed, and the ability to patch, not the ability to the start the game. As the vast vast majority of these games work in offline mode, it would be reasonable assumed by a consumer that this was listed, as normally the case, for installation and patches, and not startup, unless otherwise stated (which it was not). It is also worth noting that there was no statement that the game needed to be online for startup, as a periodic connection to the internet and use of online mode is very different from a game that needs it every start up. It's well worth noting that the game suddenly losing the ability to be played in offline mode (with the internet off the days at a time) being lost, having been possible with the same system requirements also weakens the whole "but it's in the system requirements" further.

I'd also be very careful on that front keeping in mind that the whole Steam-ACCC thing that is ongoing.

This is the thing, I don't have a problem with it, but I do think it's well worth keeping in mind the potential problems.

Hmmmm... I'm not the one that talks accusations of breaking consumer law and using terms like "nonsense" - I seriously think that my response was not an attack, more a light hearted "you tweaked up let's move on post".

I am surprised you still want to go at it and introduce red herrings when you're plainly and patently incorrect on the matters at hand. It is of no consequence what other games do on Steam and what you think it might infer - I care about the fact that you called me out for contravening law, and I didn't.

A simple, "Oh yeah, should have read that, guess it was there all the time - sorry, got it wrong, my mistake" would have been sufficient.

PS: I appreciate your support but you can't just go around fanning fires with incorrect accusations which have not been withdrawn and not expect me to call you on it.

Last edited:
...wait, I need a controller to play DBC14? *glove slap*

Pistols at dawn, you bastards!

*cancels preorder*

and what's worse?..... you need the controller all the freakin' time - not just at startup - there's no way to swap to keyboard at any time! Refund! I want a refund - why didn't someone warn me!

and what's worse?..... you need the controller all the freakin' time - not just at startup - there's no way to swap to keyboard at any time! Refund! I want a refund - why didn't someone warn me!

This is the thing though, ignoring the pathetic strawmaning there, people were warned, it was there, obvious, in multiple ways when buying the game. This DRM was not.

Hmmmm... I'm not the one that talks accusations of breaking consumer law and using terms like "nonsense" - I seriously think that my response an attack, more a light hearted "you tweaked up let's move on post".

I am surprised you still want to go at it and introduce red herrings when you're plainly and patently incorrect on the matters at hand. It is of no consequence what other games do on Steam and what you think it might infer - I care about the fact that you called me out for contravening law, and I didn't.

A simple, "Oh yeah, should have read that, guess it was there all the time - sorry, got it wrong, my mistake" would have been sufficient.

I get you don't want to open up any can of worms here, so I'll leave it at that then. I would just note that anyone with a grievance should talk with you.

Users who are viewing this thread