Do we actually care about cricketing records ?

Do we care about records ?

• Yes

Votes: 37 90.2%
  • No

Votes: 4 9.8%

• Total voters
I thought India went "ga ga" after stopping the Australians from winning their 17th.

They really thought you got one on us. That it really hurt us that bad. Sure, it would've been nice to break the record (again), but it didn't really mean as much since it was actually our OWN record to start with, and it's not like we didn't see them do it the first time. Since it was only 7 years agian they did it.

Records tell stories. 16 wins shows the Australian dominance and how amazing the team was. They're very important. It's what sets cricket apart from a lot of other sports. The Stats. I don't believe in best averages and stuff though, I do believe in best career runs/wickets.

Yes, It tells that Ponting has done a great job as a captain. Also it's sad, because I'd rather want Pakistan to win 16 test matches in a raw then a Twenty20 world cup. Worth celebrating.

I dont think anyone in India goes gaga over world records like they do in Australia or Sri Lanka when Murli and Warnie were fighting for most wickets in test cricket.

When we had made record chasing wins in ODI cricket no one went over board like 16 wins of Australia in test cricket.

We don't go gaga over our records in Australia i would say. We just happen to often make them, thus you may percieve that we go crazy over them as we are often in the spot light for them. Making a world record run chase in ODI is something quite admirable, but I dont believe it in the same class as 16 wins in a row. To make a record run chase in a ODI you firstly need to bowl badly. Secondly you need to bat extremely well, which as I said is admirable, but you only need to do it once. Having said that, it is a great record to hold. But I feel your belief that we go overboard with our records is ill advised.

We don't go gaga over our records in Australia i would say. We just happen to often make them, thus you may percieve that we go crazy over them as we are often in the spot light for them. Making a world record run chase in ODI is something quite admirable, but I dont believe it in the same class as 16 wins in a row. To make a record run chase in a ODI you firstly need to bowl badly. Secondly you need to bat extremely well, which as I said is admirable, but you only need to do it once. Having said that, it is a great record to hold. But I feel your belief that we go overboard with our records is ill advised.

Dude dont know if you know your cricket or other Aussies also. Im not talking of 1 game. That record is with SA and yeah they thrashed your bowlers who could not defend 400+ runs :p.
The record im talking about is maximum number of wins chasing without loosing. Its similar to your test match feat. If you think chasing is easy in ODIs then why you team always bats first on winning toss.

EDIT: Just found it was 16 wins. And BTW I loved your first post. That was cracker.

Last edited:
If we broke the record we'd care. When South Africa chased down 434 we cared. Same when Warney hit 700, then when Murali overtook him. Chasing down consecutive ODI's is a little more obscure, but I think we care about the big records.
DAMN RIGHT YOU DID!

:p

On topic, well I care for like a week or two then it stops amazing me.

Its similar to your test match feat. If you think chasing is easy in ODIs then why you team always bats first on winning toss.

Joke? Similar feat? It's not even in the same league, and if you actually think that record is hard, then trying winning 16 TEST MATCHES IN A ROW over 2 years. Even our World Cup match winning streak is better then that. But then again, who really cares about that. We only did it, if it was the great India then watch out!

Joke? Similar feat? It's not even in the same league, and if you actually think that record is hard, then trying winning 16 TEST MATCHES IN A ROW over 2 years. Even our World Cup match winning streak is better then that. But then again, who really cares about that. We only did it, if it was the great India then watch out!

I think you aussies just read my name and start bashing the post. Read my earlier post. No one cares about records here. They are made and forgotten next day. I bet 99% of people didnt even knew Kumble was on verge of 600 wickets. Its not like we remind everyone that we have done it 4 times....you have done it once. Every member here knows Australia has won 4 times. Stop bragging as if it was you who was playing out there.

I think you aussies just read my name and start bashing the post.

Well, I wonder why that could be.

Read my earlier post. No one cares about records here. They are made and forgotten next day. I bet 99% of people didnt even knew Kumble was on verge of 600 wickets.

Umm, you have no proof at all on that last one and it seamed like you lot cared about it a little bit when he did it. Yes?

Every member here knows Australia has won 4 times. Stop bragging as if it was you who was playing out there.

Please don't tell me what to post on here. You have no right. Just like I have no right to tell you to stop posting utter rubbish about us.

I think you aussies just read my name and start bashing the post. Read my earlier post. No one cares about records here. They are made and forgotten next day. I bet 99% of people didnt even knew Kumble was on verge of 600 wickets. Its not like we remind everyone that we have done it 4 times....you have done it once. Every member here knows Australia has won 4 times. Stop bragging as if it was you who was playing out there.

I dont think anyone else apart from you has actually said that. Besides one reason why the Aussie records keep coming back into discussion is because people start talking about the decline of their team when they lose one test match in over two years.

Scroll to the top of the page please. Read the poll results. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and enter the following into your reply area:

"I am full of crap. I retract my earlier statement. If I had read the poll, instead of making up evidence to support my argument like a current affairs show, I would have discovered that 97% of participants in this poll care about records, and that I am part of less than 3% of the population in not caring. I am sorry for misleading the Planetcricket community and for lying."

Users who are viewing this thread