Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

Hey guys, I only just got the game 2 days ago. I've been enjoying it so far as batting seems challenging and bowling is fun but what I noticed instantly was the lack of edges which is something I've always longed for in a cricket game.

I haven't been keeping track of this game at all or cricket as a whole so I'm clueless on what patches have been rolled out and how the game used to be, but from reading this there were more edges?

I'm playing on pro difficulty at the moment and, I've only had one nick in 3 fifty over matches. Will they fix this or have they stopped updating the game now?

Thanks.
Yeah edges have dried up. There was one particular beta patch which was brilliant in terms of edges but that got lost in subsequent patches. The latest patch is 1.21 iirc for pc and should install automatically. Many of us play by reducing the skills of the players which gets better results. There's a thread somewhere about that....

Since the latest patch I seem to get a fair few edges I play tour matches on pro difficulty in the last 3 test matches I have had 2 slip catches had not taken any before the patch and have played over 55 tests and over 40 one day matches 8 catches by the keeper and 3 catches to gully and thats with player skills as they came in the acadamy but with increased attributes

Yeah edges have dried up. There was one particular beta patch which was brilliant in terms of edges but that got lost in subsequent patches. The latest patch is 1.21 iirc for pc and should install automatically. Many of us play by reducing the skills of the players which gets better results. There's a thread somewhere about that....

I see, that is a shame. Yeah I am running that version....is there any particular reason edges got nerfed? Have they said anything about it?

Since the latest patch I seem to get a fair few edges I play tour matches on pro difficulty in the last 3 test matches I have had 2 slip catches had not taken any before the patch and have played over 55 tests and over 40 one day matches 8 catches by the keeper and 3 catches to gully and thats with player skills as they came in the acadamy but with increased attributes

That's a very low amount of edges for the number of games you've played. In real cricket there's about 3-5 edges at least and in all formats of the game.

I see, that is a shame. Yeah I am running that version....is there any particular reason edges got nerfed? Have they said anything about it?

That's a very low amount of edges for the number of games you've played. In real cricket there's about 3-5 edges at least and in all formats of the game.

I am not sure: we tested a number of patches with this one golden one: they pressed on as we tested the field placings and they couldn't get that one back. After a time they had to put an end date to the beta process which is fair enough. I am positive it is a number one priority in the coming game. reducing skills will get you more edges. As will hoping for a cloudy day or playing a casual match with chances of rain

Thank you & well said!!! Every discussion of edges some douche comes along saying "I get loads of edges" when like Paul they mean "hardly any"...

It's all edges, including ones the fly through gaps/over skips whatever and go for runs, not just those landing in the bread basket. Such a pity the game couldn't get them right

I am not sure: we tested a number of patches with this one golden one: they pressed on as we tested the field placings and they couldn't get that one back. After a time they had to put an end date to the beta process which is fair enough. I am positive it is a number one priority in the coming game. reducing skills will get you more edges. As will hoping for a cloudy day or playing a casual match with chances of rain

So no more updates for this version of the game? I guess it does make sense as the new one is supposed to be out soon.

Thank you & well said!!! Every discussion of edges some douche comes along saying "I get loads of edges" when like Paul they mean "hardly any"...

It's all edges, including ones the fly through gaps/over skips whatever and go for runs, not just those landing in the bread basket. Such a pity the game couldn't get them right

Yeah I'm starting to question those people who say that lol, in real matches there's so many edges that happen. It is a shame as it ruins the bowling side of things quite a bit, sort of feels like playing C07 when bowling to the AI. I seem to be getting a lot of swing and misses too. Right now I'm playing a match on PRO as the bowling side and I've gotten 4 edges in the 17 overs I've bowled, 3 which went wide through the gap and one which was a feather nick to the keeper. The actual edges feel really really good and authentic it's just a shame it only happens in particular circumstances.

However with all of this said I have high hopes for the new game because their core mechanics seem to be good but some things with the AI seem a bit shoddy!

No more patches with this one but Ross has said that the next version is already light years ahead of this one. Last quarter we will find out!

No more patches with this one but Ross has said that the next version is already light years ahead of this one. Last quarter we will find out!

If you read the post correctly I have had 13 edges over 3 matches and that is only the ones that have taken wickets so by my calculation that works out to be somewhere between 3-5 at least as you state in your post

So no more updates for this version of the game? I guess it does make sense as the new one is supposed to be out soon.

Yeah I'm starting to question those people who say that lol, in real matches there's so many edges that happen. It is a shame as it ruins the bowling side of things quite a bit, sort of feels like playing C07 when bowling to the AI. I seem to be getting a lot of swing and misses too. Right now I'm playing a match on PRO as the bowling side and I've gotten 4 edges in the 17 overs I've bowled, 3 which went wide through the gap and one which was a feather nick to the keeper. The actual edges feel really really good and authentic it's just a shame it only happens in particular circumstances.

However with all of this said I have high hopes for the new game because their core mechanics seem to be good but some things with the AI seem a bit shoddy!
Then in your next post you claim to have 4 edges in 17 overs so why are you questioning my post when you seem to get even more edges than I did make up your mind is it lots of edges or nor enough edges

If you read the post correctly I have had 13 edges over 3 matches and that is only the ones that have taken wickets so by my calculation that works out to be somewhere between 3-5 at least as you state in your post

Then in your next post you claim to have 4 edges in 17 overs so why are you questioning my post when you seem to get even more edges than I did make up your mind is it lots of edges or nor enough edges

Sorry I'm not trying to bash you or anything but from my understanding and the way I read your post it sounded like you've had the following

2 slip catches in 3 tests
and have played over 95 tests and odi's with only 11 catches going to gully/keeper

I'm not sure how you worded your post or if I'm being a complete dunce here but those stats are really really bad for number of edges. Also yeah I have had 4 nicks in 17 overs which I would say is reasonable/decent amount but I was playing in cloudy conditions which I've read boost your chances. Also for the rest of that match I didn't get anymore edges and in the 3 ODI's I've played I've not had any edges on PRO mode.

If you could tell me how you get edges then please do so as I really want to know, but as you just said you've had 13 edges in 3 matches but that isn't what your original post sounded like at all! Thanks.

Sorry I'm not trying to bash you or anything but from my understanding and the way I read your post it sounded like you've had the following

2 slip catches in 3 tests
and have played over 95 tests and odi's with only 11 catches going to gully/keeper

I'm not sure how you worded your post or if I'm being a complete dunce here but those stats are really really bad for number of edges. Also yeah I have had 4 nicks in 17 overs which I would say is reasonable/decent amount but I was playing in cloudy conditions which I've read boost your chances. Also for the rest of that match I didn't get anymore edges and in the 3 ODI's I've played I've not had any edges on PRO mode.

If you could tell me how you get edges then please do so as I really want to know, but as you just said you've had 13 edges in 3 matches but that isn't what your original post sounded like at all! Thanks.
Sorry I should have broken it up abit I was saying that in 95 games played I had never taken a slips catch but since the latest patch have taken 2 slip catches in 3 matches.
Before the patch averaged about 2 to 3 catches to keeper per innings but no slip catches.

Sorry I should have broken it up abit I was saying that in 95 games played I had never taken a slips catch but since the latest patch have taken 2 slip catches in 3 matches.
Before the patch averaged about 2 to 3 catches to keeper per innings but no slip catches.

Ah okay sorry I got confused. I find edges pretty hard to come by still pretty annoying. Have you edited stats? what stats should be edited? I need to dig around for some threads!

Ah okay sorry I got confused. I find edges pretty hard to come by still pretty annoying. Have you edited stats? what stats should be edited? I need to dig around for some threads!
Since the last patch I get a few less going to the keeper but more going to slips and gully even got a nice edge from a ball going down leg side when it comes to edited stats I just use what came with the acadamy when game was first released unless I make my own players when I can't find them in the acadamy (I replicate tests and one dayers from the 80s)then try to adjust them to the cricinfo stats but I increase the attributes of most the players and find that the AI is quite competitive.
I just finished a 3 match test series Australia 80S VS Pakistan 80S I play as Australia and lost series 2-1 so I find the AI fun to play against after 2 years I still play DBC 14 everyday.
And to answer your question about how I get edges is I mix up my deliveries up a far bit and try to bowl different lines and Length
When I bat I bat pretty conservative meaning I dont really play aerial shots and get on average 3-4 edges to AI keeper and slips but that is when I dont get my timing right just like real cricket.

Since the last patch I get a few less going to the keeper but more going to slips and gully even got a nice edge from a ball going down leg side when it comes to edited stats I just use what came with the acadamy when game was first released unless I make my own players when I can't find them in the acadamy (I replicate tests and one dayers from the 80s)then try to adjust them to the cricinfo stats but I increase the attributes of most the players and find that the AI is quite competitive.
I just finished a 3 match test series Australia 80S VS Pakistan 80S I play as Australia and lost series 2-1 so I find the AI fun to play against after 2 years I still play DBC 14 everyday.
And to answer your question about how I get edges is I mix up my deliveries up a far bit and try to bowl different lines and Length
When I bat I bat pretty conservative meaning I dont really play aerial shots and get on average 3-4 edges to AI keeper and slips but that is when I dont get my timing right just like real cricket.

I see...just to touch upon the bit I've highlighted. When you mentioned how many edges you get were you including edges you nick to the AI? Because I was talking about bowling to AI and getting edges. When I'm batting vs AI I nick the ball often enough too but when bowling to them I get barely anything

Users who are viewing this thread