Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

I am more keen on getting more info on batting mechanics in the absence of markers.

I am more keen on getting more info on batting mechanics in the absence of markers.

I am pretty sure there will be some indication where a ball will land on the pitch. Otherwise batting will be near impossible.

Going by the table top cricket promo a marker appears just at the release of the ball. My guess is table top cricket is using the same bowling sytem.

I am pretty sure there will be some indication where a ball will land on the pitch. Otherwise batting will be near impossible.

Impossible? Wouldn't go that far. It would be so much more rewarding hitting a boundary 'reacting' to a delivery as it's bowled (like real cricket), and realistic. Obviously there will be different difficulty levels that will make it easier, but being able to play without a cursor would be good for the hardcore players, and longevity of the game... also take away the predictability and exaggerated scores. It's the worst thing about previous cricket games, knowing exactly where the ball will pitch. Makes it mundane and repetitive.

Since the delivery is only selected on release it will be hard to mark the pitch, very interested to see how this works.

Last edited:
Impossible? Wouldn't go that far. It would be so much more rewarding hitting a boundary 'reacting' to a delivery as it's bowled (like real cricket), and realistic. Obviously there will be different difficulty levels that will make it easier, but being able to play without a cursor would be good for the hardcore players, and longevity of the game... also take away the predictability and exaggerated scores. It's the worst thing about previous cricket games, knowing exactly where the ball will pitch. Makes it mundane and repetitive.

Since the delivery is only selected on release it will be hard to mark the pitch, very interested to see how this works.

Trouble is we dont have a peice of wood in our hand but a gamepad or controller with set button combinations determining the shot direction, power, stroke...we just do not have the time between knowing where the ball will pitch etcetera and choosing the right combination of buttons to play the shot we want.....I am sure there are creative ways to solve this but we just cannot compare the splitsecond reality in real cricket shotmaking and choosing and playing with a gamepad...

There no indication on the pitch of where the ball will land, putting a marker on the pitch is bowling done backwards, I am sure every bowler in the world would love to just plant an exact spot on the pitch time after time.... and every batsman would also love a marker of where the ball will land. It's not Cricket, it's dance dance revolution on a joypad.

In any case, no one so far has had an issue batting with our system, even I can manage it! :)

All will be revealed in time....

----------

Agreed.

It took us a long time to iterate a system that was playable without a marker on the pitch or using "quick time" events, however we have managed to do it.

We will indeed just have to wait and see how you have created this...sounds very exciting actually!

There no indication on the pitch of where the ball will land, putting a marker on the pitch is bowling done backwards, I am sure every bowler in the world would love to just plant an exact spot on the pitch time after time.... and every batsman would also love a marker of where the ball will land. It's not Cricket, it's dance dance revolution on a joypad.

In any case, no one so far has had an issue batting with our system, even I can manage it! :)

----------

Agreed.

It took us a long time to iterate a system that was playable without a marker on the pitch or using "quick time" events, however we have managed to do it.

Now that's interesting, I would love to see how it works.

Ross when can we expect a trailer for the game?

The greatest bowling system of all time was in a game made in 1986. That is right 1986. Called Ian Botham Cricket. Somehow I managed to find the video. Ignore the graphics but just focus on the bowling system. 3 things

the arrow at the bottom left or right controls if the ball is on the off or leg side and how far down

press enter to start your run up then, the longer you press enter the second time the shorter the ball. This way the batsman has some idea of where the ball might be but not 100% sure

finally using the up and down button you deicde your grip on the ball. if you change the grip at the last second the impact will be a bit lower.

With the new controllers one can evolve the system and something about speed and accuracy in there as well, but trust me I played this system and it was far better than any other bowling system i have used for the last 20 odd years.

Check out the video!

Last edited by a moderator:

----------

Agreed.

That's great.

I hope it works as well as you say it works without dumbing down the batting controls to make batting easy.

----------

Agreed.

Ross, really looking forward to more info (trailers, podcasts, promo material) and game in general :)

Can't wait, sounds killer and nice tease ross.:D
I bet ashes 2013 will not be doing this but you never know.
Still we don't want both cricket games to play the same do we pc.:yes

----------

Also just looking at the related videos to that one, cricket world cup 99, I remember this game too. I like how smooth the bowling action is... that smoothness + a bit less loopy bowling + no cursor would be good.

cricket world cup 99 on pc (best cricket game ever) - YouTube

I remember that game, fun game but if i remember right no test matches
in the game at all. Half a game so i sold it like 2 weeks after buying it.:mad

Still nice bowling action.:clap

Users who are viewing this thread