Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

One for direction and the other for shot selection?. If that's the case, then probably left stick for 360 placement and right stick for the batting stroke. So all kind of drives,cuts and flicks gonna be there. When you are using both the analogue sticks, the keys remaining are bumper keys and trigger keys. So defense, advance and running gonna be that keys. I think the batting gonna be more like BLC99.

Lets say you get a short ball and try to play a square cut, tap left trigger back (to select back foot) and tap the right stick in a square direction.

Timing of both will need to be perfect to get good timing, obviously the foot movement will always come first, some players will hopefully be able to move later than others (better footwork).

@rose: Wow!! now just see your last post, that's amazing. If one stick is for the feet, then two keys must be there for front foot and back foot shot selection. So we can select which feet we gonna move with right stick, else how can late cut possible?

WoW!! this batting system had a lot of potential. very close to the real thing.

----------

What's new in that? It is very similar to old games. Ross said he's gonna overhaul the whole batting system.

Which old game? Have you had to use footwork in sync with shot selection in old games? I thought you just held down either back or front while the bowler was running in... difference here is obviously there will be no cursor to aid you so it will be more difficult and rewarding when you get it right. Instead of knowing which foot you will hit from it will have to be a very late decision here...

I haven't played cricket games for a long time (other than briefly trying them) as none of them have taken my fancy at all. I'm scarred by the Brian Lara 05/07 and Ashes/IC games... horrible.

Last edited:
Yes, you will need both sticks to bat effectively...

So based on your posts I decoded your bowling mechanics correctly:

Based on the info we have received from Ross....bowling 'might' be similar to this:

- You pick the seam position at the start of the runup. The seam position will determine whether you wanna bowl an outswinger or inswinger (this will be interesting though, as the seam position of a swinging delivery is different to that of a cutter)
- You time the release of the ball, based on which the length of the ball will be determined, i.e. if you release it late it will be pitched shorter, while if you release it early, it will be fuller. Though if these mechanics are used, I have no idea how your would determine the direction of the ball.

Both the above points are based on the statements made by ross, that the delivery will be made based on the decisions you take before the runup and at the time of the delivery. However, whatever BigAnt may come up with in the final game, I think their approach towards bowling is terrific and has the capability of adding depth and learning curve to bowling, and thus making it more fun!!

....decoded the batting ones now:

I would not be surprised if batting is controlled by the 'sticks' on the controller pad. No wonder Ross said that one would need a controller to play this game on pc and that it would not support the keyboard!

....only thing remaining :p:

OMG!!!! Is it this:

ICC Champions Trophy | Cricket news, live scores, fixtures, features and statistics on ESPN Cricinfo

Makes sense as well.....AC13 got the ashes license.....BigAnt might have gone with the ICC license :D!!! Even the tournament date (6 june) coincides with a possible release date seeing that the game is already complete!!!

----------

So in all probability, the release date would be 22 May 2013??? i.e. exactly one month after the cricket academy beta release :D

Hope I get that right too ;)

There will be no arrows anywhere near our game - can't stand them!

So can we assume that when we will be batting, we have to pick-up the delivery type and it's movement direction from the way the ball is released by the bowler or from the direction of seam?

There is no shot "selection".... the type of shot is based on the shot played, the physics engine will work out where the ball should go.

One stick is for your feet ;)

I'm assuming that the stick will control the direction and amount of feet movement. If that's the case, then this control system has the potential to make batting very realistic and difficult, as it should be.
Get too much across the stump playing a full, in-swinging delivery and you could end up LBW or if you don't get to the pitch of the ball, you could nick it!!
I always wanted to have a control system that will allow the user to control the footwork of a batsman since it is the most important aspect of batting. This game just keep ticking one check-box after the other!!

Get too much across the stump playing a full, in-swinging delivery and you could end up LBW or if you don't get to the pitch of the ball, you could nick it!!

Yes.

'GREAT' Ross, this system really has the capability of being the best cricket sim EVER (though we could hardly call the previous cricket games as a sim....they all were arcadey in the sense that none of them had any of the parameters which were required in a cricket game like amount of foot movement, bat speed, playing down the wrong line etc., except maybe timing the shot.)! If you can actually control the amount of foot movement, you are actually simulating 'the biggest' factor of batting, after timing,......and that is the foot movement!! Now, we would actually be caught in the crease and get out or botch up the shot due to indecisive foot movement!

There is no shot "selection".... the type of shot is based on the shot played, the physics engine will work out where the ball should go.

Completely blown by that,very interesting...Have you tested the Physics engine completely and that feet being controlled by stick thing??? I hope both cleared the bug testing :D

Is there a seperate button for leaving the ball?

Since we use both the sticks that only leaves the 4 shoulder buttons we can use. Curious about whether we use those at all or not. We need to select blocking, leaving, ground shot, lofted shot, sweep shots (now a days sweeping by itself has become a set of shots...paddle sweeps, traditional sweeps, slog sweep, reverse sweep, slog sweep down the ground, cover, square etc.)

Refarding bowling, this is just a guess but i believe we would need to use one of the sticks as a trick stick to swing, seam, spin the ball in different ways sort of like how fifa does dribbling. Would be pretty cool where we have to move the analog stick in diffferent complicated ways to bowl a doosra.

Last edited:
Was just going through some older posts made by BigAnt......here are some of my fav (gosh....didnt even remember all that was mentioned to be in the game):

Every mode in Cricket has an online option, it is head to head or co-operative (all player controller selection screens have an online selection also).

There are also online tournaments.

It would be an outrageous claim to say it would have the depth of FIFA or Madden (over time maybe but not for this release).

Most games have a controller select screen that is "local" we have a controller select screen that allows inclusion of players across the internet. I will get a screen from our Rugby Game tomorrow to show you what I mean. For example, lets say you are in Career mode and a friend messages you that he wants to play, well you can just add him into the Career mode game you are playing.

Well, I need to make sure I set expectations, we will release the best Cricket game to date (we've made the best AFL and the best Rugby League), but we won't be at the level of FIFA/Madden for a little while yet :p

Unfortunately there is no plan at the moment to include an "anytime" replay function.

The replay system we do have implemented will post to YouTube (automatically linking a Facebook link to the video on your wall if you have it activated).

Sound is extremely important to us, if you watch TV with the sound off it's less than half of the experience. We will be making sure that there are good audio queues in the game and that it is atmospheric as possible (If you look at the RLL2 Grand Final clip linked here somewhere in one of the threads I think you will get the idea with regard to atmosphere).

The replay system we do have implemented will post to YouTube (automatically linking a Facebook link to the video on your wall if you have it activated).
So that does mean we can save replays, right?

Anywas, Ross can you answer my previous query related to this on another thread?
Something I really wanted to ask is how the replays and camera angles work in this game. Will we see different presets of Broadcasting view we can apply in-game? Also are the replays available only for wickets/boundaries or will it pop up replays even for close calls/missed edge? It would be great to see replay when a ball nearly misses the bat or when we bowl some really good delievery.

PS: It reminds me of another question that can we save replays? If not, I hope it will be added in future editions.

I hope the user controls whether the shot is a lofted shot or not and it's not arbitrarily decided by the AI/physics engine. Pls confirm Ross.

I hope the user controls whether the shot is a lofted shot or not and it's not arbitrarily decided by the AI/physics engine. Pls confirm Ross.

There should be a loft/risk/power button, whatever you want to call it.

Maybe the trigger, the more press down the trigger the higher the risk/power. 50% is a controlled lofted shot, 100% is full power :p

Blimey, forgot all those, this game does seem to have it all, I think I've been waiting since the late 80's when I used to play Graham Gooches on the C64 for this game.

God I hope they have got the champions trophy license, think I will wet my pants if they have.

There should be a risk/power button.

Maybe the trigger, the more press down the trigger the higher the risk/power. 50% is a controlled lofted shot, 100% is a hail-mary full power :p

I am not too hung up on the implementation part, but just want to know that user will decide whether the shot is a lofted one or a ground shot. It shouldn't be like Cricket 97 ATE (Ashes Tour Edition) where the AI/physics engine suddenly decided the shot was a lofted shot and you ended up hitting a dolly to deep cover when all you wanted was to hit a single along the ground to the sweeper on the boundary :noway

Users who are viewing this thread