Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

Still not clear about the lofted shot though :( Looks like I will have to play the game to find out.

Still not clear about the lofted shot though :( Looks like I will have to play the game to find out.

He pretty much confirmed it, aggressive shots will be lofted (maybe to varying degrees/power). Charge shots will obviously be lofted attempts as well.

That doesn't mean non-aggressive shots won't be aerial/caught either though, that depends on a lot of factors, ability being a big one.

You're not worried about one of the most fundamental batting additions surely? :P

Maybe time to leave Ross alone, thanks for telling us about the batting,sounds great but challenging. :clap

He pretty much confirmed it, aggressive shots will be lofted (maybe to varying degrees/power). Charge shots will obviously be lofted attempts as well.

That doesn't mean non-aggressive shots won't be aerial/caught either though, that depends on a lot of factors, ability being a big one.

You're not worried about one of the most fundamental batting additions surely? :P

Where did Ross say that? Ross simply alluded to aggressive shots and aggressive doesn't mean lofted. I could very well play aggressive shots along the ground. I guess we will found out how the batting system works when we play the game.

Where did Ross say that? Ross simply alluded to aggressive shots and aggressive doesn't mean lofted. I could very well play aggressive shots along the ground. I guess we will found out how the batting system works when we play the game.

2+2?

Defensive shots = along the ground, can still edge in the air or get leading edges to be caught
Normal shots = along the ground but can still be aerial depending on timing/placement etc
Aggressive shots = aerial but not always HIGH lofted shots, again it will depend on timing and footwork as to how high it goes
Charge shots = aerial

What else could aggressive shot mean? A 'normal' shot can still be aggressive... timing, timing, timing.

Last edited:

Yup he didn't. But having two trigger buttons for defensive and attacking shots sounds like a waste. You can use just one button (pressed and not pressed) to play defensive or agressive. But since they are using both buttons (4 different scenarios) i would guess lofted shots are already implemented.

About coming down the ground...batsmen come down the ground to block and drive along the ground also.

Yup he didn't. But having two trigger buttons for defensive and attacking shots sounds like a waste. You can use just one button (pressed and not pressed) to play defensive or agressive. But since they are using both buttons (4 different scenarios) i would guess lofted shots are already implemented.

About coming down the ground...batsmen come down the ground to block and drive along the ground also.

Yes, obviously charge and aggression will be 2 different buttons, my mistake. You could block a charge if you wish.

2+2?

Defensive shots = along the ground, can still edge in the air or get leading edges to be caught
Normal shots = along the ground but can still be aerial depending on timing/placement etc
Aggressive shots = aerial but not always HIGH lofted shots, again it will depend on timing and footwork as to how high it goes
Charge shots = aerial

What else could aggressive shot mean? A 'normal' shot can still be aggressive... timing, timing, timing.

Ok, let's go with what Ross actually said rather than assume what he said, shall we? I don't like to add 2+2 when it could very well be the case of 2+3. A normal shot can be aggressive but doesn't mean it's lofted as well and timing doesn't dictate whether the shot is aerial or along the ground. I can hit a well timed shot along the ground as well as in the air.

1. Left stick foot placement in the shot.

No problems there.

2. Right stick controls the bat.

Pretty self explanatory.

3. Thumb pad controls position in the crease.

I get this as well.

4. Variable triggers are used for defensive and aggressive play.

Now this is the contentious piece as far as I'm concerned. To me it means trigger buttons (L2 & R2 on PS3) are for defensive and aggressive shots. To me it looks like one of the triggers (L2) is for defensive shots, i.e. nudges, pushes, knocking the ball around for a single or blocking/pushing the ball back to the bowler. The other trigger button (R2) is for aggressive shots. And I repeat aggressive shot doesn't mean lofted shots. I can play, and generally play, aggressive shots along the ground like a cut shot, a forceful drive, sweep or a pull along the ground etc. How do I hit the ball in the air? How do I decide when to pull the ball in the air as opposed to pulling the ball along the ground? Or how to play a lofted straight drive instead of depositing the ball over the sight screen? I'm not quite clear and that's why I said I will need to wait for the game to be released to find out.

Unless Ross means something else when he says "variable triggers" and not trigger buttons, I don't see how lofted shots are implemented. Either way we will find out when the game comes out.

5. Bumpers are for advancing down the wicket and unorthodox shots.

I interpret this as bumper buttons (L1 & R1 on PS3) for advancing down the wkt and unorthodox shots. Looks like one of the bumper buttons (say L1) is for advancing down the wkt, and again, I'm not clear how to play the shot in the air or along the ground while playing an "advance down the wkt" shot. I can very well come down to the pitch of the ball against a spinner and play a cover drive along the ground like most Indian batsmen do. Advancing down the wkt doesn't mean lofting the ball either. The other bumper button (R1) is the one for ramp shots, reverse sweeps, scoop shot etc. depending on the direction of the shot and footwork.

Last edited:
I reckon we wait for the game to release or for Ross to explain the batting mechanics with a vid later. When he has said that its us who control the batting & not AI, obviously there'd be control over lofted shots. Let's wait & watch than speculate things.

Ok, let's go with what Ross actually said rather than assume what he said, shall we? I don't like to add 2+2 when it could very well be the case of 2+3. A normal shot can be aggressive but doesn't mean it's lofted as well and timing doesn't dictate whether the shot is aerial or along the ground. I can hit a well timed shot along the ground as well as in the air.

No problems there.

Pretty self explanatory.

I get this as well.

Now this is the contentious piece as far as I'm concerned. To me it means trigger buttons (L2 & R2 on PS3) are for defensive and aggressive shots. To me it looks like one of the triggers (L2) is for defensive shots, i.e. nudges, pushes, knocking the ball around for a single or blocking/pushing the ball back to the bowler. The other trigger button (R2) is for aggressive shots. And I repeat aggressive shot doesn't mean lofted shots. I can play, and generally play, aggressive shots along the ground like a cut shot, a forceful drive, sweep or a pull along the ground etc. How do I hit the ball in the air? How do I decide when to pull the ball in the air as opposed to pulling the ball along the ground? Or how to play a lofted straight drive instead of depositing the ball over the sight screen? I'm not quite clear and that's why I said I will need to wait for the game to be released to find out.

Unless Ross means something else when he says "variable triggers" and not trigger buttons, I don't see how lofted shots are implemented. Either way we will find out when the game comes out.

I interpret this as bumper buttons (L1 & R1 on PS3) for advancing down the wkt and unorthodox shots. Looks like one of the bumper buttons (say L1) is for advancing down the wkt, and again, I'm not clear how to play the shot in the air or along the ground while playing an "advance down the wkt" shot. I can very well come down to the pitch of the ball against a spinner and play a cover drive along the ground like most Indian batsmen do. Advancing down the wkt doesn't mean lofting the ball either. The other bumper button (R1) is the one for ramp shots, reverse sweeps, scoop shot etc. depending on the direction of the shot and footwork.

Ross has already told us as much as he could. Attacking shots in video gaming language would mean aerial shots. Anyways, lets just wait till Ross can talk more about the game mechanics, which would not be far away. Very soon we would know everything we need to know.

There is a reason as to why Ross cannot give us any more details, even though he really wants to (we can see that in how he gives us more info than he can). Lets respect his limitations for now and wait for him to officially disclose everything there is to batting, bowling and fielding in the game!

I'm not sure whether you are at liberty to discuss bowing mechanics yet, Ross. But can you shed some light on on how we will select the delivery type while bowling? Will be able to control the position the seam for a particular delivery type (i.e, seam pointing towards slip region for an outswinger to RH batsman bowled by a RH bowler) like the real thing or is it still like the old games where we have to choose a delivery from the available types by pressing a button?

May be we will use the right analogue is a particular way to play the aerial shots. May be by pressing some face button, we will get in aerial mode or something. I am sure if they would have got this facet covered as well.

No problems there.

Pretty self explanatory.

I get this as well.

If one trigger is for defensive and one for aggressive, triggering nothing would be ground shots I suppose.

And Ross, thanks a lot for making the batsman move up and down. Needed that change big time, atleast for me.

I know you mentioned that you don't want to talk about batting any more and I respect that decision. Could you at least just answer this question in yes or no?

Will I, as a bastman, have a choice of whether I want to play a shot along the ground or in the air?

Just a simple yes or no would do as well :)

----------

Attacking shots in video gaming language would mean aerial shots.

Basically there should be 4 "types" of shots:

1. Defensive
2. Dabs (Play with a soft bat but slightly more power than Defensive shots)
3. Normal - Shots along the ground with "normal" power
3. Aerial

If they have just 2 triggers for normal and aggressive, it means at least two of the types could be potentially missing. Even if we assume that using NO trigger would result in a defensive shot, still we have 1 type missing.

Some thing for the next version of the game would be analog power. I thought that was the best part of IC 2010 and should be in all cricket games.

Basically there should be 4 "types" of shots:

1. Defensive
2. Dabs (Play with a soft bat but slightly more power than Defensive shots)
3. Normal - Shots along the ground with "normal" power
3. Aerial

If they have just 2 triggers for normal and aggressive, it means at least two of the types could be potentially missing. Even if we assume that using NO trigger would result in a defensive shot, still we have 1 type missing.

Some thing for the next version of the game would be analog power. I thought that was the best part of IC 2010 and should be in all cricket games.

Umm..using both triggers together gives u the 4th option.

Users who are viewing this thread