Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

so does that mean with the analog stick u can choose how far u want ur front foot to be?

Well it all sounds awesome.....but just hope it is not too complicated!!! Maybe we will get used to all the button combos once we have developed the muscle memory by playing the game a alot many times! Here is what we know:

a) Batsman has no idea where the ball would be bowled (if you are playing against a human opponent specially during the initial days of the game....trust me even the bowler has no idea where the ball will be bowled :p)

b) Batsman has to read the ball off the bowlers hand

c) Batsman has to judge the line and length of the ball based on its release

d) After doing all that, the batsman has to move the left stick (which can be a little tricky to get exact results all the time) to move his foot to the line of the ball, and then move the right stick to execute the shot....that too with perfect timing! On top of judging how much the movement of the left stick should be, the batsman also has to be aware of the amount of pressure applied on the bumper to get the perfect power behind the shot. And all this is just to play a normal shot....things get even more tricky once the batsman decides to step down the track.

e) All of the above happens in less than a second if you are facing steyn :p

Well it all sounds awesome.....but just hope it is not too complicated!!! Maybe we will get used to all the button combos once we have developed the muscle memory by playing the game a alot many times! Here is what we know:

a) Batsman has no idea where the ball would be bowled (if you are playing against a human opponent specially during the initial days of the game....trust me even the bowler has no idea where the ball will be bowled :p)

b) Batsman has to read the ball off the bowlers hand

c) Batsman has to judge the line and length of the ball based on its release

d) After doing all that, the batsman has to move the left stick (which can be a little tricky to get exact results all the time) to move his foot to the line of the ball, and then move the right stick to execute the shot....that too with perfect timing! On top of judging how much the movement of the left stick should be, the batsman also has to be aware of the amount of pressure applied on the bumper to get the perfect power behind the shot. And all this is just to play a normal shot....things get even more tricky once the batsman decides to step down the track.

e) All of the above happens in less than a second if you are facing steyn :p

Guess we'd have to premeditate sometimes. You can't play to the merit of the ball in under a second. But then, only such difficulty could make the experience feel real. No more 400 in 20 overs I guess! :D

Guess we'd have to premeditate sometimes. You can't play to the merit of the ball in under a second. But then, only such difficulty could make the experience feel real. No more 400 in 20 overs I guess! :D

Amen :)!

See, thing is, even with these controls, it 'will' get easier once you have it stored in your muscle memory....and yet it will still provide the variations in play and unpredictability even after you have played this game 100 times....thats like a God Sent Blessing for us cricket gamers :D!!! I am just worried from the casual gamer's or the new cricket gamer's point of view! It would be awesome if in the 'easy' mode, most of these are automated and the player can just time their shots, as for newbies thats the level of difficulty they are able to enjoy in the early days!!

Even better would be if you could switch any of these 'manual controls' on or off (for offline matches). That will provide the flexibility in the difficulty levels that would cater to all audiences. For e.g., say, I do not want to control the foot movement myself but still want the AI to be hard, then I would choose the 'Hard' level and turn off manual footwork! That would make this game accessible to all audiences and would result in the 'much deserved' sales!! It should not be hard for the developers as well (I would hope), as the AI for controlling all these parameters would already be available in the game since the computer would be using that same AI for playing against you.

As I said before (and I mean it from the bottom of my heart)....it would really break my heart if this game does not sell well! If there was any cricket game that deserved to sell millions of copies.....it seems to be this game!!

Well it all sounds awesome.....but just hope it is not too complicated!!!

Shouldn't have any worries on that front. If Ross can play the game we should be fine :p

IMO the controls in the game sound intuitive and once you get the hang of controls it shouldn't be a big deal. It would be as easy or as difficult as moving to the back foot in real life while facing a short pitched delivery.

You don't have to use all of the controls... if you do you will play a better game, but it is possible to stand in your crease and just time the ball with the bat alone - the game and control systems are layered to increase the precision as you become more able.

What if the anologue power came from the amount of aggression rather than from a seperate button or stick? Squeeze the lever more, more aggression, squeeze less, less aggression.....squeeze more, more arial, squeeze less, less arial........would make sense to me....

I think it's a mistake to equate aggrssion and power with lofted shots. We have seen some murderous square cuts or bullet straight drives or pull shots which zoom to the boundary all along the ground. Similarly we have also seen their variant in terms of lofted shots, i.e. 6 over point/3rd man or a straight 6. I can be equally aggressive and play equally powerful strokes both along the ground and in the air.

As an example of this approach we can look at Dhawan's 100 against Aussies in the recent Ind-Aus Test series. The guy scored a 100 in 70 odd balls and in his first 100 runs he barely hit a ball in the air but I wouldn't term his innings not aggressive. On the other hand you can play less aggressive aerial/lofted shots, e.g., chip over the infield. IMO the game should have a separate input for ground/aerial shot and not mix it with aggression since both these attributes are mutually exclusive, i.e. aggression has no bearing on lofted shots and conversely ground shots doesn't mean less aggression.

You don't have to use all of the controls... if you do you will play a better game, but it is possible to stand in your crease and just time the ball with the bat alone - the game and control systems are layered to increase the precision as you become more able.

Will you marry me?
Seriously, hurry up and give a release date. :yes

That sounds good.!! so we can play both ways like a dravid, ponting (perfect feet movement) and like Sehwah , Gayle (stand and deliever) would be really interesting..!!! :D :cheers

I think it's a mistake to equate aggrssion and power with lofted shots. We have seen some murderous square cuts or bullet straight drives or pull shots which zoom to the boundary all along the ground. Similarly we have also seen their variant in terms of lofted shots, i.e. 6 over point/3rd man or a straight 6. I can be equally aggressive and play equally powerful strokes both along the ground and in the air.

As an example of this approach we can look at Dhawan's 100 against Aussies in the recent Ind-Aus Test series. The guy scored a 100 in 70 odd balls and in his first 100 runs he barely hit a ball in the air but I wouldn't term his innings not aggressive. On the other hand you can play less aggressive aerial/lofted shots, e.g., chip over the infield. IMO the game should have a separate input for ground/aerial shot and not mix it with aggression since both these attributes are mutually exclusive, i.e. aggression has no bearing on lofted shots and conversely ground shots doesn't mean less aggression.

You dont know, I dont know. Let us wait and see.

Hoping 145k actually looks like 145k, not loopy balls on a string.

Love it. What I love about you Ross is that you have probably said a hundred times to yourself: right no more info. It is enough! But you cannot not do it...why....because you love the game of cricket and you love the game you have made and you cant wait to let all these excited fans have a good look at the magic you have come up with. You are truly yourself very enthusiastic about what you do and want others to share in that. This game is going to be an utter benchmark for all other cricket games to look towards with envy, admiration and darn right gobsmackedness....cheers Ross. If I am ever in Melbourne I will let you buy me a beer!

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. My point is that aggression shouldn't be equated with lofted shots.

Me neither.....airial....and aggression....squeeze one for this one for that. How much for this how much for that you have to decide. No airal squeeeze, attempt at playing onnthe ground with varying degrees of aggression, etcetera....anyway I am sure it will work however it is done......I like bowling anyway so couldnt give a monkey's swimming trunks whatever the batting is like......me bowler, you ball......me bowl......

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread