Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

I understand that people here don't want RLL2/reviews in here but I would like to say that our games are generally on the "harder" side of things and we generally don't review well but I take solace from the fact that we are universally recognised by fans to have created the best AFL and NRL games to date. Certainly our sales figures indicate that we are doing something right.

Why is it we don't rate well? There are a few reasons:
1. We do not pay for advertising in review "mags"
2. We will not give "bonuses" to reviewers, ever
3. We do not fly reviewers to locations for previews
4. Our games take time to master, they are deep. Reviewers want to get the review written fast to be in the market early and this can't happen with our products
5. The "old" our games cost the same as FIFA so we expect FIFA comparison - when an AFL or NRL player earns what Beckham earns, come talk to me, they train as hard but don't get the same pay - what's up with that? :p
6. Reviewers don't get paid enough or are in some instances bloody lazy! The number of times I've seen reviews that are a rehash of someone else's review or just a collection of forum posts is amazing (isn't the 'net and cut&paste just grand!)
7. I speak openly and honestly about reviewers, there are certainly a few that just don't like being "reviewed" themselves - try it sometime, write a review of the reviewer over a few titles and give it a score, they do not take it well!

That said, there is one thing that makes all of this irrelevant, something that you learn over time in this business - reviews do not indicate the level of sales for sports games, you might think or hope they might, but they do not.

In any case I give far more weight to player reviews, from the public, where they have played for weeks more than *any* journalist that has played a few hours.

I totally agree....No reviewer is better than the player himself....Its always the brand they go after to review....:thumbs:cheers

I understand that people here don't want RLL2/reviews in here but I would like to say that our games are generally on the "harder" side of things and we generally don't review well but I take solace from the fact that we are universally recognised by fans to have created the best AFL and NRL games to date. Certainly our sales figures indicate that we are doing something right.

Why is it we don't rate well? There are a few reasons:
1. We do not pay for advertising in review "mags"
2. We will not give "bonuses" to reviewers, ever
4. Our games take time to master, they are deep. Reviewers want to get the review written fast to be in the market early and this can't happen with our products
5. The "old" our games cost the same as FIFA so we expect FIFA comparison - when an AFL or NRL player earns what Beckham earns, come talk to me, they train as hard but don't get the same pay - what's up with that? :p
6. Reviewers don't get paid enough or are in some instances bloody lazy! The number of times I've seen reviews that are a rehash of someone else's review or just a collection of forum posts is amazing (isn't the 'net and cut&paste just grand!)
7. I speak openly and honestly about reviewers, there are certainly a few that just don't like being "reviewed" themselves - try it sometime, write a review of the reviewer over a few titles and give it a score, they do not take it well!

That said, there is one thing that makes all of this irrelevant, something that you learn over time in this business - reviews do not indicate the level of sales for sports games, you might think or hope they might, but they do not.

In any case I give far more weight to player reviews, from the public, where they have played for weeks more than *any* journalist that has played a few hours.

Maybe you should have us review the game before its out :spy

from the fact that we are universally recognised by fans to have created the best AFL and NRL games to date
With my brief experience of the other games fighting for those spots, are you really saying much?

It's like saying 'we've made the best Cricket game on the Wii U!' it's true by default.

Damn, I was expecting to be flown to Melbourne.

Maybe you should have us review the game before its out :spy

That why they have play sessions before they release as they know that the players would like to review the game rather than the reviewers.....The players or the gamers know better :thumbs

With my brief experience of the other games fighting for those spots, are you really saying much?

It's like saying 'we've made the best Cricket game on the Wii U!' it's true by default.

Damn, I was expecting to be flown to Melbourne.

Well, there were some people flown to Lords...

There have been two decades of AFL games and a decade of NRL games, so there's been plenty of opportunity and plenty of competition, not like the Wii U.

I think it will be great if Ross indeed hands out an early copy to Colin or Matt for review. It will be the most accurate review he could get for his game.

There will be no doubt a chance for people involved here to play the game early, Swanston Street will have a play session before release and I will make a version available for MattW to play in our offices as my understanding is that he is local to us.

We now have a publisher and distributor on board - the game itself hasn't changed at all due to this - however it is now a joint decision as to publicity, etc.... it all starts Friday :)

That why they have play sessions before they release as they know that the players would like to review the game rather than the reviewers.....The players or the gamers know better
As someone who has written reviews of cricket games based off a play session, the short time with the game can hide issues. Might be worth taking a read of my test reviews of Ashes 2009 and IC2010 - AC09 is interesting because there were a few parts where I experienced some of the bugs and just assumed I was playing it wrong:
there is no fully auto fielding and you still have to press a button in the right timing to get the fielder to pick the ball up off the ground.
Being how I wrote up my experience of the fielders being totally dumb and unable to pick the ball up on the first attempt.

Part of my summary for IC2010 is apt:
I hate being positive, the cynic in me makes me want to think this all can?t be true, there has to be a catch, good cricket games don?t exist. I expect you to be cynical as well, I was fairly wrong with my play-test review of AC09, it turned out to be not near as good as the initial excitement I had coming out of that day.

Great news this. At least we will get an early review to spice things up heading to release period.

We now have a publisher and distributor on board - the game itself hasn't changed at all due to this - however it is now a joint decision as to publicity, etc.... it all starts Friday

Really do hope that the publisher wouldn't mind your open interaction with us here as has been the case before! :thumbs

Great news this. At least we will get an early review to spice things up heading to release period.

That's not possible as we can't give out console versions prior to release.

He will have access to the team for Q&A and as long as he like to play, warts and all.

Last edited:
I know you probably can't answer this at this point of time.. but I hope you've also taken care of the game being available in India on the same date as it will be for the rest of the world. :)

Users who are viewing this thread