Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

Bcz u not understand my feeling that's my dream game I still remember my first cricket game BLC 99 that time I think about game like cricket 14 and when u see ur dream becoming true it's hard to wait that's all I don't have problem with Ross and you I just want now the date even it's come out 12/31/13 I hope u understand me

BLC99? Surely when that game came out you were in diapers still because you come across like you are 12.

I reckon Ross is just as eager to release it as we are to play it, but he's not Santa Claus, he's a business man!!

We have to wait all year for Santa, we must be good and patient. With Ross we just have to pay out a few sheckles in around 6 weeks time.

On the plus side we don't have to leave sherry and mince pies out for Ross!!!......hope Biggs isn't on the delivery run!!!

This is more of a general topic. Looking at the bits and pieces of this game, it is obvious an unimaginable amount of work was done behind the scene. And this is big ant's first cricket game. But what do you guys think were the reasons behind the earlier games falling short of expectations by a large margin? I know we all have our favorite games, but probably except BLC99 (and i would argue 97 ate) they all seemed like half hearted effort on developers' part. I really do not think they did not care for the game they were creating. Was it budget restriction? Or license restrictions? Or refusal and laziness to try anything different or being innovative was the reason behind those attempts at creating a great cricket game experience?

Bringing this thread back to a relevant topic...lack of innovation has to the biggest downfall (only made worse by people not understanding that change isn't always a bad thing).

Two glaring points that have lacked innovation; controls and AI

My first cricket game was World Cup 99 (EA) and you had a bowling meter and marker in that game. Flash forward 10 years and it was still the same mechanic. There is only so much you can do with the face buttons and stopping a meter at a certain point.

Looking at how baseball games (and other sports games) have evolved, it makes complete sense to shift bowling and batting to the sticks.

Bringing this thread back to a relevant topic...lack of innovation has to the biggest downfall (only made worse by people not understanding that change isn't always a bad thing).

Two glaring points that have lacked innovation; controls and AI

My first cricket game was World Cup 99 (EA) and you had a bowling meter and marker in that game. Flash forward 10 years and it was still the same mechanic. There is only so much you can do with the face buttons and stopping a meter at a certain point.

Looking at how baseball games (and other sports games) have evolved, it makes complete sense to shift bowling and batting to the sticks.

But Is it just lack of innovation or "change is bad" mentality? What has changed in cricket games in 2000-2010? I can not think of a single important thing that was added in that decade. I understand them not trying to mess with the controls, but what exactly did they concentrate on? They have not come close to get the AI good...some years they even go backwards. Animations has improved marginally but batting animation went backward during the 09-10 time. Graphics was improved a lot but surely that is not the hardest thing to do? Player physique remains the same...actually went backwards after 2002 which had different body types and heights. The only "feature" that has been added was catching which still looked bad due to horrible animations. 10 years and is the only thing added that is worth mentioning. Pretty sad state of affairs. Almost sounds like laziness to me.

I've certainly enjoyed most cricket games that I've played. In saying that, I managed to miss a couple of the real stinkers. Innovation has definitely lagged behind.

The hardest part for many was that true innovation was neglected because it was just too much work (money) to bother when there didn't seem to be like a reason to do so.

I look at the catching mini game of BLC05 (or RPC05 for me in Oz). I thought that was a bit innovative. Yeah sure, mini games are bad etc etc... but that was different and something worthwhile continuing to explore. Then you hear how AC13 decided to dump it entirely and I felt that was a bad move. Purely because it was not 'well, we like the idea of interactive fielding but how do we improve it'.

Probably my biggest concern is that people have a certain way of doing things. Take Big Ant's RLL2. The hardest thing in that is not to play it the same way I played the old RL games developed by Sidhe on PS2. I know there were complaints by people about RLL2 because they tried to throw passes which would get intercepted, when in reality you would never actually normaly throw that pass. So you had to get your head around to playing 'properly'.

This is probably my biggest concern for Bradman 14 is that some won't be able to adjust to this new way. In saying that, FIFA has made changes over the years that people hated initially, but eventually became accepted them. Innovation is great, but the consumer also needs to be willing (or at least reluctantly made too) try out the changes.

One huge advantage BA have over other developers is that they seem to be committed to the sport over a longer period, which means they have time to get it right and people have time to adjust to that innovation.

I do wonder what developer would have made the most cricket games.

----------

Oh wow... had a bit of a long rant there... hmmm... carry on

Chris Gayle

:cheers

I think a good thing BA decided to do is having no option for gamers to play the game in "classical" manner. If you want to force someone to get used to new controls, having no option for classical controls should be no 1 in the list.

^^We still don't know what Legacy mode is ;)

I think a good thing BA decided to do is having no option for gamers to play the game in "classical" manner. If you want to force someone to get used to new controls, having no option for classical controls should be no 1 in the list.

Agreed.

One thing I am very excited for in Bradman 14 is the ball and pitch physics. Previous games, the ball just seemed like a bright red dot hit a brown surface.
I loved watching all the videos and to see the ball actually change its rotation when it comes into contact with something.

I think it'll be one of those things where many of us us older folk (used to previous games) will "learn" the game with the classic controls/view, and gradually move across to the BA "default" style as we get more comfortable. I think brand-new gamers or those not used to a EA/Trickstar/Codemasters style of gameplay will simply play whatever is the default and be none the wiser...

I'm the exception to the norm here, as I LOVE change, so I'll try something new and just roll with whatever provides the best experience.

I tend to go with whatever is the default and learn that, as I think they've developed it this way for a reason.

Just hopefully a good reason.

Yeah, exactly. I want to learn the 'recommended' experience before I decide what I prefer...

I think it'll be one of those things where many of us us older folk (used to previous games) will "learn" the game with the classic controls/view, and gradually move across to the BA "default" style as we get more comfortable. I think brand-new gamers or those not used to a EA/Trickstar/Codemasters style of gameplay will simply play whatever is the default and be none the wiser...

I'm the exception to the norm here, as I LOVE change, so I'll try something new and just roll with whatever provides the best experience.

Well, the first thing that will be different is you wont be watching the HUD, you'll actually be focussed on the ball/player - possibly for the first time (I say possibly just in case the "first time" police are watching :p)

I'm a HUGE fan of minimal HUD, so this suits me just fine. One of the major problems with the AC games is the screen is getting more and more cluttered with useless HUD items on the "default" setting that you NEED to play the game. Turning them off makes it incredibly difficult to find mission objectives. Was never the way with the earlier games.

Users who are viewing this thread