Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

Any advise on pre-ordering for the UK ? Will it be available to pre-order though UK game sites? Or should I pre-order though Aus sites? :thumbs

Will it be available to pre-order though UK game sites?

Yes. Which ones? We don't know. When? We don't know. We're expecting a release date announcement towards the end of this month...hopefully.

Some here were asking about the sound of the bat & ball in the game, Jimmy our sound engineer has sent me this:

In the game, we have a listener set up in each set of stumps to simulate the stump mics used in televised cricket matches. This is how our dynamic shot sounds work:
1. When the ball is struck, the first thing that happens is the game looks at how hard and where the ball is hitting the bat, and then selects from a pool of pre-recorded shot sounds, and plays it at a volume appropriate to the strength of the shot (ie. harder shots are louder). This is the 1st stage of our dynamic sound, and simulates the sound arriving at the striker-end stump mic.
2. The sound is then picked up by the 2nd (non-striker-end) stump mic. In real-life televised matches, there is very short but noticeable delay between hearing these two sounds. This is due to the speed of sound and the distance between the two sets of stumps. In the game, we simulate this delay, as well as the drop in volume of the sound over the distance between the two sets of stumps. This basically means that with very soft shots, you may actually not hear this 2nd sound at all. The harder the shot, the more of it you will hear.
3. Finally, with the most powerful shots, we simulate the sound of the shot reflecting off the stadium, and arriving back at the stump mics. This is calculated on the fly on a per-stadium basis (different stadiums are different sizes), based on the distance from the striker to the boundary, and the speed of sound. This means larger stadiums will have a longer delay between when you hear the direct sound, and the reflected sound. Again, the volume of this sound is based on how hard the ball is hit.

Some here were asking about the sound of the bat & ball in the game, Jimmy our sound engineer has sent me this:

In the game, we have a listener set up in each set of stumps to simulate the stump mics used in televised cricket matches. This is how our dynamic shot sounds work:
1. When the ball is struck, the first thing that happens is the game looks at how hard and where the ball is hitting the bat, and then selects from a pool of pre-recorded shot sounds, and plays it at a volume appropriate to the strength of the shot (ie. harder shots are louder). This is the 1st stage of our dynamic sound, and simulates the sound arriving at the striker-end stump mic.
2. The sound is then picked up by the 2nd (non-striker-end) stump mic. In real-life televised matches, there is very short but noticeable delay between hearing these two sounds. This is due to the speed of sound and the distance between the two sets of stumps. In the game, we simulate this delay, as well as the drop in volume of the sound over the distance between the two sets of stumps. This basically means that with very soft shots, you may actually not hear this 2nd sound at all. The harder the shot, the more of it you will hear.
3. Finally, with the most powerful shots, we simulate the sound of the shot reflecting off the stadium, and arriving back at the stump mics. This is calculated on the fly on a per-stadium basis (different stadiums are different sizes), based on the distance from the striker to the boundary, and the speed of sound. This means larger stadiums will have a longer delay between when you hear the direct sound, and the reflected sound. Again, the volume of this sound is based on how hard the ball is hit.

Wow. That's a lot of attention to detail. Wouod find out how it comes together when i play it. Couldn't hear anything in the playsession videos due to ambient noises.

Yea, in playsession Ross & Matt were noisy. hehe. :p

Ross, that detail of sound mechanizm deserves another 'Hats Off' when comes to design & thought processing that has been applied behind this implementation of the game.

Wow. That's a lot of attention to detail. Wouod find out how it comes together when i play it. Couldn't hear anything in the playsession videos due to ambient noises.

Certainly heard what felt like the 3rd sound type on that leg glance shot that was caught in the deep. Even on a cam recorded video posted on YouTube, it felt fantastic.

Ross, one of the things people felt after watching the videos is that the sound on ill timed shots 'sounded'/'felt' the same as timed ones. So does your post indicate that when we actually play the game (as compared to hearing a cam recorded video on YouTube) there would be a noticeable difference between well timed shots and ill timed shots?

A stadium editor is something we will do, we need to do that and make them shareable too.

Ross and Team excellent work. Can you enlighten us more on the stadium editor.
Also since this game will soon join the legacy of fifa.....please if possible try to incorporate licensed cricket kit like bats, pads, gloves etc. in the future iteration

@Angad The difference in sounds per shot is very noticeable.

@Surendar I think you will find that I was not one of the noisy guys, I tried my best to stay away from the recording devices because occasionally, just really occasionally, I say stuff that shouldn't be recorded :p

----------

Also since this game will soon join the legacy of fifa.....please if possible try to incorporate licensed cricket kit like bats, pads, gloves etc. in the future iteration

There won't be a stadium editor in this version, it will be in a version of a game we make for sure, but not this one.

* as long as it does not reduce funding for development of gameplay and essential features!

The difference in sounds per shot is very noticeable.

Can you also ask if the game supports 5.1 surround sound? Wondering what kind of atmosphere to expect with my 5.1 channel headphones when playing PC.. :)

There won't be a stadium editor in this version, it will be in a version of a game we make for sure, but not this one.

Yeah I understand that....I promise to buy each and every edition of this game, my PS3 is starved for cricket game. Also I am really impressed by the way BA have put efforts to develop this game and have tried to incorporate the suggestions..great going guys....w8in for the game...

@Surendar I think you will find that I was not one of the noisy guys, I tried my best to stay away from the recording devices because occasionally, just really occasionally, I say stuff that shouldn't be recorded :p

Yeah, I heard you telling those dates in that video. Yes! Yes! :D

Users who are viewing this thread