Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

No... say it aint so...

Kwa-Thema-20131108-01118.jpg

Groundsman should be chasing dogs and cats in the sub-continent :yes

In reply to Surender's post

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
I know we haven't played this game yet which has lot of amazing features yet to be discovered by us. This is just a random suggestion for next version. How about including option of grip of the ball for bowlers. Like holding the rough/shiny side to left/right. Or holding the seam towards 1st or 2nd slip.....it doesn't have to be in too much detail. But a little option for this will just be an awesome variation for bowlers.
PS: the option of controlling the bowling in this game unlike others games, where we have to keep eye on meter rather than bowling, is already amazing. Brilliant job bigant. :)

Apologies if this has been addressed already somewhere on this forum but I'm interested in the approach BigAnt has made towards the bowling aspect of the game, specifically in be-a-pro mode or single player vs the CPU.

For me this has always been the most trying part of cricket games because there has never been a sense of working a player out or that any kind of strategy was actually making a difference. Batting and getting a ton is fun. Bowling and watching the CPU team get 400...not so much.

Looking back the closest I got to any kind of competitive test matches was in BLC 2005 (xbox version), playing on the hardest level with the weakest team available. Scores were generally around the 150 to 200 mark and it was fun.

The point is that I had to in a way "manufacture" this situation and if I tried playing with the stronger team the balance got out of whack again. I'd score 400. They'd score 90. Not fun.

So my question is how are BigAnt approaching the balance between realistic gameplay (for example a CPU team scoring 400) and yet keeping it immersive at the same time?

If we are playing as all-rounders or bowlers in be-a-pro mode this is going to be the greatest challenge I reckon.

Last edited:
Apologies if this has been addressed already somewhere on this forum but I'm interested in the approach BigAnt has made towards the bowling aspect of the game, specifically in be-a-pro mode or single player vs the CPU.

For me this has always been the most trying part of cricket games because there has never been a sense of working a player out or that any kind of strategy was actually making a difference. Batting and getting a ton is fun. Bowling and watching the CPU team get 400...not so much.

Looking back the closest I got to any kind of competitive test matches was in BLC 2005 (xbox version), playing on the hardest level with the weakest team available. Scores were generally around the 150 to 200 mark and it was fun.

The point is that I had to in a way "manufacture" this situation and if I tried playing with the stronger team the balance got out of whack again. I'd score 400. They'd score 90. Not fun.

So my question is how are BigAnt approaching the balance between realistic gameplay (for example a CPU team scoring 400) and yet keeping it immersive at the same time?

If we are playing as all-rounders or bowlers in be-a-pro mode this is going to be the greatest challenge I reckon.

What's wrong with the AI scoring 400 runs? :p I would take that and more like toiling for a declaration everyday! But really the answer to your question is in the gameplay videos, the action feels very exciting and it gets you involved! When you see everything on the field is moving all the time like do in real life plus the sounds, the feel and the bowling itself appears to be very enjoyable so I don't see the issue of getting uninterested occurring too often.

What's wrong with the AI scoring 400 runs? :p I would take that and more like toiling for a declaration everyday! But really the answer to your question is in the gameplay videos, the action feels very exciting and it gets you involved! When you see everything on the field is moving all the time like do in real life plus the sounds, the feel and the bowling itself appears to be very enjoyable so I don't see the issue of getting uninterested occurring too often.

Yeah that's right...No more 1000 for no loss kind of matches...:lol

He makes a very good point about working batsmen out. It's key to the enjoyment of irl bowling but nigh on impossible to simulate accurately.

The thing about old style cricket games is there wasn't a meaningful challenge to producing the delivery you intended, though. You just plopped the marker down and pulled the trigger. If the BigAnt bowling provides a bowling system that makes good, potentially wicket taking deliveries the reward for 'good' input from the user then that's a major step up to making bowling more fun, because there's a challenge to be overcome besides waiting for the computer to decide it's time to get itself out.

Hey, I'm all for the run scoring AI. I'm just saying there's going to have to be a balance between fun and realism. You can shortcut this in football by reducing the half length but still get a realistic result. I've played plenty of madden and there you can reduce the quarter length but at the risk of unrealistic stats for your team and players. There you have to strike a balance. In cricket to score 400 runs could "realistically" take about 100+ overs. Dude...that's going to be a lot of time to sink into 1 innings of bowling.

P.S. I've watched all the videos. The bowling looks great. I'm just interested in the gameplay side of it.

Last edited:
Hey, I'm all for the run scoring AI. I'm just saying there's going to have to be a balance between fun and realism. You can shortcut this in football by reducing the half length but still get a realistic result. I've played plenty of madden and there you can reduce the quarter length but at the risk of unrealistic stats for your team and players. There you have to strike a balance. In cricket to score 400 runs could "realistically" take about 100+ overs. Dude...that's going to be a lot of time to sink into 1 innings of bowling.

If you dont want the AI scoring over 400 in around 100+ overs then the best way is to bowl at your best to bowl them out as soon as possible....:yes

Users who are viewing this thread