Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

Some here were asking about the sound of the bat & ball in the game, Jimmy our sound engineer has sent me this:

In the game, we have a listener set up in each set of stumps to simulate the stump mics used in televised cricket matches. This is how our dynamic shot sounds work:
1. When the ball is struck, the first thing that happens is the game looks at how hard and where the ball is hitting the bat, and then selects from a pool of pre-recorded shot sounds, and plays it at a volume appropriate to the strength of the shot (ie. harder shots are louder). This is the 1st stage of our dynamic sound, and simulates the sound arriving at the striker-end stump mic.
2. The sound is then picked up by the 2nd (non-striker-end) stump mic. In real-life televised matches, there is very short but noticeable delay between hearing these two sounds. This is due to the speed of sound and the distance between the two sets of stumps. In the game, we simulate this delay, as well as the drop in volume of the sound over the distance between the two sets of stumps. This basically means that with very soft shots, you may actually not hear this 2nd sound at all. The harder the shot, the more of it you will hear.
3. Finally, with the most powerful shots, we simulate the sound of the shot reflecting off the stadium, and arriving back at the stump mics. This is calculated on the fly on a per-stadium basis (different stadiums are different sizes), based on the distance from the striker to the boundary, and the speed of sound. This means larger stadiums will have a longer delay between when you hear the direct sound, and the reflected sound. Again, the volume of this sound is based on how hard the ball is hit.

Fantastic :clap :)

Great news Ross, you could not hear that in the video on my pc at least, I have a powerful pc but the audio sucks.

In regards to what your sound guy was saying, the sound rebounding off the stadium, does an empty stadium sound different from a full one? I went to watch a few games at lords this year with low attendances and the echo from a well struck shot both off the bat and off the advertising hoardings is the kinda thing that makes your hairs stand up, but you don't hear that for obvious reasons at a test due to ambient sound if the crowd!! Also can we hear the chatter of crowd or players depending on spectator attendance?

Does the crowd ever chant Or clap faster and faster while the bowler is running in? Or for DBC 14 if you are standing in front of bay 13 at the MCG then you should be able to stretch and have the crowd mimic you.

Some here were asking about the sound of the bat & ball in the game, Jimmy our sound engineer has sent me this:

That is amazing attention to detail. Though I wish you include the real-time sounds rather than the broadcast sounds for Career Mode/behind the batsman camera, in future versions.

sound explanation is epic. obviously almost none of this could be appreciated from the play session footage due to the recorded sound quality.

kind of makes me wish my hearing wasn't so terrible - I will never be able to appreciate the full extent of this!

Very impressed with the sound mechanics implemented in the game. Props to your sound engineer. Awesome!

To give you some idea of the lengths Jimmy has gone to with the sounds, in daytime you hear birds, at night you hear crickets :)

I guess you will even go into details of flying pigeons on Aussie grounds & chasing dogs/plastic bags in subcontinent grounds in next version of DBC? :D

Seagull count has to be on the list for an update :)

Users who are viewing this thread