Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

Lunch breaks are just not long enough.. most of it is spent laughing over on the Ashes thread.. only get through a couple of posts on here due to catching up on the last week or so of missed reading.. sigh

So we'll either hear a release date tomorrow, or an announced delay tomorrow, but we'll definitely hear *something*. (Well OK, could be Saturday :P)

If game will delay then we can say that Ashes cricket 13 big failure scared BA & they'll try to improve their game by taking some more months.

If game will delay then we can say that Ashes cricket 13 big failure scared BA & they'll try to improve their game by taking some more months.

No offense, but you couldn't be more wrong.

It isn't a matter of improving the game. It is a matter of selecting the best time to release the game.

So we'll either hear a release date tomorrow, or an announced delay tomorrow, but we'll definitely hear *something*. (Well OK, could be Saturday :P)

what are you basing this information on, a educated guess?? i dont want to get excited over nothing!!!

what are you basing this information on, a educated guess?? i dont want to get excited over nothing!!!

I'm basing this on the fact that Ross said in the interview (before knowing Ashes would be released) a release date would be absolutely announced by the end of November; then Ashes was released which obviously changes that; but Ross said if the plan changed he'd let us know immediately.

So either the plan changes before 30 November (most likely), or it doesn't change which means we get a release date before 30 November (unlikely).

You're better than that, Sami.

You are probably right Biggs but I am genuinely angry at how Fegan has treated all of us here.

Write Prose... ;)

I recently sent a PM to Ross after watching the DBC WP session videos. He replied to me saying that he has forwarded to Mikey and co to review it. Now I thought I'll just post it here too so you guys can comment on it. Disagree or agree with the post.

"I'll try and keep the message focused on the *could be improved* points.
Now,
Batting:
  • My first concern resides with the way the non-striker reacts once you have hit the ball. As it was clear from the videos and from your posts, we need to press a button for them to get back into the crease. I would like to propose an alternative...
    MY ALTERNATIVE: Let the non-striker have a time out where-in if the ball has been collected and user hasn't answered with an YES or NO then it is taken as a NO (always). Only exception are overthrows where the running progam starts afresh.
    As long as Gameplay is concerned, that is my only concern and I'm very sure Batting is going to be a lot of fun otherwise.
  • Now the last one while batting. Replays. Automatic Replays are not needed for every ball unless there was 1)Wicket 2)Four 3)Six 4)Appeal(after BARStime-out) 5)The ball was within a few millimetres of the bat. 6)Great Running btw Wickets(Sprinted effort) 7)Direct Hit 8)Close calls w.r.t. getting Run Out 9)Great stop in fielding 10)DROPPED catch 11)Hitting a half century/century or so on. 12)Winning Runs/Moment(Probably the most watched/non skipped replay of all).
    Now that said, there is an alternative for automatic replays to make sense.
    MY ALTERNATIVE: Once a wicket falls, four was hit, six was hit, HalfCentury/Century was hit immediately save the event as an encrypted/compressed file(Cut 2 seconds from runup for pace bowlers and 1 from from a spinner and save it) with a TAG. Tag example are: <S.No><NameofBowler><NameofBatsman><NameofFielder><wicketnumber(if it was)><boundarynumber(if it was)><six/four><50/100/150/200/250/300/350/400/450/500runs>
    Now the tags would work like this.
    1)At the drinks break, it can show the videos in order of S.No.
    2)While a batsman passes 50/100 runs, the videos are displayed during the over change(unless its the last over of the innings) w.r.t. to NameofBatsman matching the batsman who crossed the landmark & ascending order of S.no. The video ends when the video with tag 50/100/150 whichever happened last over, though skipping past the previous landmarks UNLESS it was a four or a six(tags again).
    3)When a bowler takes four or more wickets in an innings, the videos are displayed again at the end of the over w.r.t to Bowlername tag and if both the Batsman and Bowler hit their milestones in the same over, the first event to happen takes priority and the incident with least priority will be shown after the following over is bowled. Luckily both can't happen on the same ball.
    4)When a fielder catches more than 3 times in a match. Again same rules apply.
    5)Once an Innings ends. The videos of the highest scorer and highest wicket taker are stored and rest are deleted. And when the match ends and the Man of the Match is decided, the video set for that person is displayed. And once back to the Main Menu, all videos are deleted.

Bowling:
  • Let the bowler relax. I do see that the bowler runs back to the wickets too soon to avoid overthrows.
    MY ALTERNATIVE:
    1)The bowler does not need to move to the ball if the batsman is not looking for a run AND if it is anywhere between the batsman and the bowler.(Have a time-out for the batsman after which the ball is dead. 3 seconds should be fine).
    2)The bowler does not need to move to the wickets if the ball goes towards the 30 yard circle AND the batsman does not attempt to RUN.
    3)The bowler DOES need to rush if the ball is hit within the 15 yards AND the batsman try to steal a run AND if they are no fielders in the path.(The dots in the fielding setting creator can be used to analyze this.) The field can be split into 8 pieces of pie. And the the yards separate them in circles like a Nyquist Plot. They grid the ball is in then compared to the number fielders there. If it is NIL then the bowler rushes.
    4)Backing up is done by the fielder on the other end hence even if the ball is hit inside the 30 yard circle and batsman try to run, the bowler can just sit and watch(reality/less awkward). Now if the fielder on the other end doesn't stop it and its overthrows, then the bowler rushes from his standstill position in the middle of the pitch.
    5)If the ball travels past 30 yards AND the batsman look for more than one run, the bowler JOGS to the wicket.
    6)On ALL other occasions the bowler walks back towards his runup. With the only exception of a mixup where one batsman does not RUN and the other does.
    As far as bowling is concerned, Im otherwise really satisfied(or overwhelmed) with what has been achieved.

Fielding:
This one, I haven't seen much but have a lot of complains from what I have seen.
  • The fielders need to anticipate. As soon the shot is played, all the good fielders move towards that side as a reflex action. This helps while bowling and switching to fielding. The AI having moved considerably towards the ball by the time its switched. Its hard to move an object from rest than thats already has started to move.(Newton's First Law eh Ross ;))
  • The biggest complain for me is how the AI catch. Well one handed catches are rare for one but forget that. Im talking about moving backwards and catching the ball just millimetres above the ground. A LOT of catches shown should have been taken at chest height. It really ruined the flow for me. Im serious. If there was only one thing you fixed of all these, I would chose this. I would like to add that the probability of a catch being taken is higher as much as the ball is higher from the ground. Thus dipping balls reduce the chance.
  • The fielder's catching abilities are super human. Esp the wicketkeeper. The minimum cricketer's reaction time is 0.45 seconds. Hence, I recommend you put a reaction time bar and calibrate between 1 second to 0.45 seconds and apply it in game.
  • The running, diving and catching animations are fine(some very good indeed) but The throwing felt bad. It was like he put almost no effort but got the ball to fly off at such speed. I would like you to add inclination to balance and thus affecting accuracy and speed. The body needs to allign towards the direction for straight hand throws(lobs from deep) and in parallel for side arm throws(flat ones from deeps and mostly from inside the circle). Once I saw a man with his body towards the boundary rope and acting like he was throwing to his mate 5 feet back but he threw it to the pitch thats 70 metres away.
  • If there is no chance of run-out then the ball must always be lobed to the wicket keeper.
  • As for the grouping of fielders are concerned, in manual mode, you could implement an extra button to say MINE and so the other fielders stop sprinting and let give you a clear path. For AI, the order for priority goes like this:
    1)Closer to the ball.
    2)If distance between the two fielders have the same whole number(as in fractions are not taken into account) and is lesser than 2 metres then the fielder with the higher rating goes for it while the other stops sprinting. At boundary edges/quick stops, the other one can complete the throw if the first fielder does not complete the collection and the first fielder must not attempt to regain possession of the ball.
    ***Fielders from off side do not run to field on the on side and vice versa UNLESS the ball is within the 15 yards and so is the fielder on the other side having no fielder on the side where the ball travels.(Give a 1 second delay to see if the ball passed the 15 yard circle at what point it would be unnecessary for him to field it from this side) AND fielders jump over the danger area not run over it like one of the short leg did in one of the videos.
  • Very important. Silly point evade to all shots except the defensive ones while Short Leg evades to only aggressive shots. (I hope that can be related with respect to the shot modifier pressed along with the direction). If the ball is hit straight to the belly while they evade then they catch the ball. Otherwise they don't.

GENERAL:
  • Once a batsman gets out, let the path of the batsman not interfere with the fielder running into celebrate. Run around him.

Finally done with the long post. Thanks for the read Ross. And of course everything else is just amazing. Love the fluidity in shots, pace and spin controls, the ability to field, dive, catch etc etc. But I really hope whatever I mentioned gets cleared in a patch or atleast a DLC."

The minimum cricketer's reaction time is 0.45 seconds
Citation needed. Wicket keepers literally couldn't catch anything if that was the case - a ball bowled at 100kmh would travel 12.5 metres in that time, more than half the length of the pitch just to react?

Citation needed. Wicket keepers literally couldn't catch anything if that was the case - a ball bowled at 100kmh would travel 12.5 metres in that time, more than half the length of the pitch just to react?

According to this:

Catching at these positions require exceptional reflexes, skill and courage, associated with bare-handed catching of a hard ball traveling at up to 100 miles per hour (160 km/h), with reaction times of the order of 0.2 seconds.

So, you are right....0.45 seconds looks a little off.

Users who are viewing this thread