Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

That is a lot of effort for someone who hasn't even played the thing...

Last edited:
Citation needed. Wicket keepers literally couldn't catch anything if that was the case - a ball bowled at 100kmh would travel 12.5 metres in that time, more than half the length of the pitch just to react?

If they had their hands already in position they catch it. Otherwise they drop it/lob it into the air. I think you will agree with that.
And yes, the fast bowler catches the bowl with his reflexes when he is more than half way down the pitch.

This one is an unreliable source.
Which has the shortest reaction time? - Yahoo Answers

But I wrote that down from memory, matches used to show a reaction meter. And they usually clock from 0.45-0.61s for the fastest I have seen.

I applaud the effort, certainly some of the feedback on the Cricket Academy art wise was reflected in the product and so he has had a very positive influence on the development of Don Bradman Cricket 14.

That is a lot of effort for someone who hasn't even played the damn thing...

But his ideas are good, so no harm in passing them on to Ross. BigAnt can obviously decide what is helpful to them and what is not :)! We are all on the same side :cheers

Sorry, but most of that seems a bit nit picky, all of your ideas regarding dead ball situations are a bit much to ask for now. This is Big Ant's first attempt obviously gameplay is paramount here, good ideas to fix up for next iterations though.

I like the fact that you have to decline runs yourself, its pretty realistic as it is a habit you have to get into yourself when you are actually batting, seems like thats what Big Ant is going for and pulled it off.

Last edited:
sorry, but most of that seems a bit nit picky, all of your ideas regarding dead ball situations are a bit much to ask for now. This is big ants first attempt obviously gameplay is paramount here, good ideas to fix up for next iterations though.

I like the fact that you have to decline runs yourself, its pretty realistic as it is a habit you have to get into yourself when you are actually batting, seems like thats what Big Ant is going for and pulled it off.

The game looks so good so far that any improvements to it would always sound a bit nit picky :p!

So, you are right....0.45 seconds looks a little off.

0.2? I think that is only possible if you are already in position. How would you move your arm to the position and be able to catch it within 0.2 seconds if its travelling at a high speed?
One can respond but it would too difficult to pluck it out unless you are in the position already.
Which is why they stand in a particular way.

If they had their hands already in position they catch it
Which is what a wicket keeper kinda does for a living. The difficulty in a cricket game is loading in the correct animation to play for a particular catch, which eats into the processing time. You're not seeing a huge amount of impossible catches, you're just seeing normal catches that are impossible to animate. Sticking one hand out is a far better compromise than it warping into the hand.

I'd start by assuming that Big Ant have done all the complex maths for me on this and that most things that seem wrong are just visually wrong, not physics defying.

But his ideas are good, so no harm in passing them on to Ross. BigAnt can obviously decide what is helpful to them and what is not :)! We are all on the same side :cheers

Exactly. And the reason I posted it here is to know the merit of my ideas. So incase someone like Matt tells me that Im wrong and provides proof, I can correct myself.

----------

I'd start by assuming that Big Ant have done all the complex maths for me on this and that most things that seem wrong are just visually wrong, not physics defying.

True that, to an extent. The only part where I disagree is when a silly point catches a head high ball, that is physics defying. And Short leg doing so isn't physics defying. The position you are in creates the sense of protect yourself mindset. If people where not having that issue at silly point then what you say is 100% true.

The only part where I disagree is when a silly point catches a head high ball, that is physics defying. And Short leg doing so isn't physics defying. The position you are in creates the sense of protect yourself mindset. If people where not having that issue at silly point then what you say is 100% true.

Talk about defying physics:

http://youtu.be/XSzAASTBYA0?t=14m38s

Sorry, but most of that seems a bit nit picky, all of your ideas regarding dead ball situations are a bit much to ask for now. This is Big Ant's first attempt obviously gameplay is paramount here, good ideas to fix up for next iterations though.

The game has got to a point where it can be nit picked.

To a point yes, but not like you hit the ball straight and he is run out because you failed to hit the cancel run button *by reflex*. I mean you just hit the ball, there will be a definite lag.

----------

Probably that guy borrowed a transwarp beaming device from Scott.:lol

The game has got to a point where it can be nit picked.

See I'm not sure any of us can say that except for Matt and the others who have actually played the game. What you're suggesting are all things you have seen through watching the game in action, which is all well and good. But ultimately video games are for playing, and I personally don't think any of us can get an accurate gauge on what needs to be improved until we've played it.

This is a game first, simulation second. The rules will be broken to ensure the game is balanced and fun.

Users who are viewing this thread