Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

My point wasn't that England are shit (I was just baiting him) my point was him ragging on NZ is "internet defence" at it's worst. Mostly because people who think NZ folk don't know their team is 60% shit 40% good are borderline idiots... but also because saying "well your team is worse" is just lazy internet banter. Sport aint a science... Teams lose, teams win.

Good supporters take the good with the bad and support the team no matter what. Fact is, Australia have been incredible in this return Ashes and England just haven't shown up for it and in all likelyhood, don't care anyway.

Two mediocre teams with one playing slightly better. Australia shouldn't kid themselves that their side is any good. They're also making the same mistake as post 2007 with a very old side and little to no succession planning. Couldn't care less who wins the limited overs series.
I hope SA massacre them.

And now we return to your regular programming...

Totally agree Barmy. Watson making a century is the worst thing that could happen to this team - means he won't get dropped for a while. Add in the fact we're wasting a series with Rogers and not someone younger is particularly frustrating.

Now that's the Pommie bitterness we simply adore :)

Playing your best side in an Ashes series almost always results in that side being old! I don't buy that, sorry Barmy. Both sides have been playing the same old faces for a while now... Both to varying degrees of success.

Now that's the Pommie bitterness we simply adore :)

And some Aussie smugness to counter it...
Man I hate losing to you guys.

----------

Playing your best side in an Ashes series almost always results in that side being old! I don't buy that, sorry Barmy. Both sides have been playing the same old faces for a while now... Both to varying degrees of success.

I think ChinamanSpin made it clear that your views were inadmissible due to the recent performance of your national side. ;)

Have to agree Biggs, we haven't shown up. I said a while back England are the better side on paper, but cricket is played on grass!! We look like we've been smoking it!! The kiwis do well considering the population etc and it was kinda the point I was tryin to make, we came to NZ last winter thinking we'd roll over you and we were lucky to get a draw, things should've been done then, instead we beat NZ an Aus at home, without playing the kinda cricket we did beating India in India and things are forgotten. I dunno what it is in the mind of English sportsmen but we seem to lack that killer instinct, the nastiness and spite you need to succeed,the Aussies on the other hand have it in spades. End of the day I love the game and watch almost all series as a neutral but I'm an Englishman and I expected more than what they've delivered.

I love a fan who, despite being destroyed recently, still is optimistic his side is amazing. Then slams another team, who have just won recently, because science.
CinamanSpin has to be the easiest guy to bait on these forums...
To be fair, you are the one who keeps responding with a bit of aggression. I'm sorry that you think I was displaying the worst qualities of internet science.
My point wasn't that England are shit (I was just baiting him) my point was him ragging on NZ is "internet defence" at it's worst. Mostly because people who think NZ folk don't know their team is 60% shit 40% good are borderline idiots... but also because saying "well your team is worse" is just lazy internet banter. Sport aint a science... Teams lose, teams win.

Good supporters take the good with the bad and support the team no matter what. Fact is, Australia have been incredible in this return Ashes and England just haven't shown up for it and in all likelyhood, don't care anyway.
You were making a joke about England, I made a joke about New Zealand. What's wrong with that?

The bit in bold is exactly the point I made in one of my posts. What was there for England to gain on this tour? They had just recovered from a gruelling Ashes which they deservedly won (although 3-1 might have been a better reflection) and had to do it again 3 months later. They had no motivation for this tour and I still think England are the better side.

Have to agree Biggs, we haven't shown up. I said a while back England are the better side on paper, but cricket is played on grass!! We look like we've been smoking it!! The kiwis do well considering the population etc and it was kinda the point I was tryin to make, we came to NZ last winter thinking we'd roll over you and we were lucky to get a draw, things should've been done then, instead we beat NZ an Aus at home, without playing the kinda cricket we did beating India in India and things are forgotten. I dunno what it is in the mind of English sportsmen but we seem to lack that killer instinct, the nastiness and spite you need to succeed,the Aussies on the other hand have it in spades. End of the day I love the game and watch almost all series as a neutral but I'm an Englishman and I expected more than what they've delivered.
Would you say its down to the way Cook has captained the side? Lot of talk that his tactics are pretty negative, and that he could take a leaf from Clarke's book and attack the batsmen more with his field settings (not to mention he sends guys out to block if he's a few wickets down chasing a reasonably big total).

They had no motivation for this tour and I still think England are the better side.

The two cancel out each other. Great sides show up to compete, regardless. This England team won't be selling any best-of books...

Two mediocre teams with one playing slightly better. Australia shouldn't kid themselves that their side is any good. They're also making the same mistake as post 2007 with a very old side and little to no succession planning. Couldn't care less who wins the limited overs series.
I hope SA massacre them.

And now we return to your regular programming...

Pattinson, Cummins, Starc, and Faulkner seems like decent succession planning to me. With Silk and Head showing enormous talent with the bat ;)

England certainly aren't a great side, but I think, on balance, they are better than Australia. Australia have played great and we have played awfully this series, but I still think, if rested and in most conditions in the world, England would beat Australia.

I feel we should go back on topic again.

They've just lost 3 Zip to Australia. They're not better them... Honestly

It's cool to be humble in defeat.

It all started with the big mouth in Brisbane... "We won the ashes in England and were not even playing good cricket" - the statements and smugness were carried by every form of media here ad nauseum, a dream come true for any opposing captain who needed to rally the troops, and might be the reason they don't lift the foot off the throat even though the job has most convincingly been done.

----------

England certainly aren't a great side, but I think, on balance, they are better than Australia. Australia have played great and we have played awfully this series, but I still think, if rested and in most conditions in the world, England would beat Australia.

I feel we should go back on topic again.

You only play as well as your opponents let you.

England have been totally outclassed both on and off the field.

Yeah, best to get back on topic, if you can :p

----------

Man I hate losing to you guys.

We know :)

Users who are viewing this thread