Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

In Australia we pay too much for games because we are quite good at finding and digging up minerals. Don't know what this adds to the conversation but thought I'd put it out there - btw this means we pay too much for Big Macs too, which I think is a good thing for us all, especially the poor cows :p

...Big Macs are terrible things anyway. Zinger burgers on the other hand....

The only applicable title you could consider a reasonable comparison is Ashes Cricket 09, which Matt has already pointed out was sold at a HUGE losses in India and sent the company broke.

It was also heavily pirated.

Codemasters actually suffered big losses because the developers were very late with that game. Only a PC version being sold at a loss in a particular country can't be the reason for a company going broke.

The only applicable title you could consider a reasonable comparison is Ashes Cricket 09, which Matt has already pointed out was sold at a HUGE losses in India and sent the company broke.

It was also heavily pirated.

Ohh...so the company broke because it was sold at HUGE losses in India?? And for a moment I though it was the UK and AUS and other western markets that ruled whether a game was profitable or into losses!!!!!

Anyways, I am sure you would be able to back your credible words and statements with the figures on how the game was sold at huge losses in India!!! A good start would be:

a) The cost of manufacturing and distribution of the physical PC DVD
b) The amount of PC versions of AC09 that were sold in India

That would explain the 'losses' that were generated due to the sales in India!!

And yeah, do remember to exclude the cost of developing the software, as if it indeed was priced higher, it would anyways have not sold in India....anyways, any amount of sale in the sub-continent is just a bonus...isnt it....so the actual cost to compare would just be the cost of manufacturing the discs + Distribution costs relavant to India!!

Angad, if you don't know the difference (and therefore, why you can't compare them) between a Cricket title and one of the biggest gaming titles of the past two decades, I really can't help you.

They are completely different things.

Yeah they are mate. Even countries are. We are not in an ideal world. Please wake up.

Well, with the same Perspective, a game (GTA 4 for example) developed in Scotland and published by a US based company, measured on an international level, was launched at Rs. 499 in India and $37 in UK. Why? Because of local economies!
Biggs' point is that it's also a well established series that is already well past the break even point around the world - indeed piracy of previous titles probably acts as marketing for the newer ones. Large companies can afford to take risks on the emerging markets.

My previous point is well demonstrated by GTA 4 though -
5Bx2uGL.png

Once you set the price in one region far below that of others, there's no reason for someone not to just import it from there. That's my issue with companies setting very low prices for games in some regions - if it's the same product, then the distributor is saying 'this is what this game is worth' by pricing it that way.

Sorry who were masters of Gilli danda?
And from that the other places who were masters are the great cricketing nations of Cambodia and Italy.

There!!! :!
Then financially rule the cost of developing games.

Anyone can go to the cricket, so volume works for gate prices and merchandise - but to be able to play a cricket game you need an upfront investment in a console or PC, at the same price as someone buying it anywhere else in the world. So the market you have left for games is a very different one than the market for cricket in general.

So it's much harder to benefit from the absolute volume that you get from cricket in general.

Ohh...so the company broke because it was sold at HUGE losses in India?? And for a moment I though it was the UK and AUS and other western markets that ruled whether a game was profitable or into losses!!!!!

Anyways, I am sure you would be able to back your credible words and statements with the figures on how the game was sold at huge losses in India!!! A good start would be:

a) The cost of manufacturing and distribution of the physical PC DVD
b) The amount of PC versions of AC09 that were sold in India

That would explain the 'losses' that were generated due to the sales in India!!

And yeah, do remember to exclude the cost of developing the software, as if it indeed was priced higher, it would anyways have not sold in India....anyways, any amount of sale in the sub-continent is just a bonus...isnt it....so the actual cost to compare would just be the cost of manufacturing the discs + Distribution costs relavant to India!!

Have 5 odd copies per retailer on shelf. If demand is higher, take orders, do home delivery.

Some of you guys are so bitter, I really don't know where it's coming from.

Angad, we're going around in circles. I get thatyou might not understand my position (that's fine) but you're basically ignoring everything I've been writing. Just suggest going back through and reading it to find the answer you're looking for.

The short version is: BigAnt will sell their product at whatever price-point they damn well please and you'll either be able to afford it, or you won't be able to get it. Gaming is a privilege not a right.

Coda: Most distributors be it in Cinema, Television and Computer Games treat the Middle-East, Parts of Asia and the Sub-Continent as "emerging markets". That means, you're second fiddle to the key areas they target to maximize sales revenue. The game that sell there for the low-price-point are generally to move stock and add to already existing profits. Most of the "big titles" you reference, are made by HUGE developers who take a gamble selling their product there because they have the money to do so.

A company like Big Ant does not (and will not) have those same resources to call on. It's a reason why they will focus sales on (or around) a big "Cricket Event" like Ashes rather than IPL.

Hope that gives some perspective.

Leave you to it.

...they did actually:

The modern variation of the game was brought to Italy during the 1880s. The title of the first Italian football club is a controversial one, the most commonly cited in popular history is Genoa Cricket and Football Club who were formed as a cricket club to represent England abroad, founded by Englishmen in 1893. Three years later in 1896 a man named James Richardson Spensley arrived in Genoa introducing the football section of the club and becoming its first manager

Although it's thought to be a derivative of a game first played by Romans.

Have 5 odd copies per retailer on shelf. If demand is higher, take orders, do home delivery.

This is how the distributorship works for almost all games in India (dont know if it is the same worldwide!!):

a) The importer (in our case, Milestone) imports the games and pays the full money to the publisher (or from whoever it imports the game from)

b) He then has distributors who buy this stock off him and distribute it to the retailers

c) The retailers then sell it to the final consumers!

So really, the publisher hardly loses any money irrespective of whether 1 copy of the game is sold here or 1000!!! He has already sold his stock to the distributor at a price which it saw as profitable to itself!

Coda: Most distributors be it in Cinema, Television and Computer Games treat the Middle-East, Parts of Asia and the Sub-Continent as "emerging markets". That means, you're second fiddle to the key areas they target to maximize sales revenue. The game that sell there for the low-price-point are generally to move stock and add to already existing profits. Most of the "big titles" you reference, are made by HUGE developers who take a gamble selling their product there because they have the money to do so.

A company like Big Ant does not (and will not) have those same resources to call on. It's a reason why they will focus sales on (or around) a big "Cricket Event" like Ashes rather than IPL.

Hope that gives some perspective.

Leave you to it.

Hollywood rules Cinema, American television rules tv shows, North America rules the gaming market. But Cricket, India holds the upper hand.

Find me one village boy who doesn't follow cricket and I'l agree with your comment. Even in places with no telecast, cricket prevails, in the hearts of people.
Trains were stopped at stations for people to watch and listen Sachin reaching his century.

P.S. IPL is 'successfully' telecasted in 198 countries.

Users who are viewing this thread