Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

This is how the distributorship works for almost all games in India (dont know if it is the same worldwide!!):

a) The importer (in our case, Milestone) imports the games and pays the full money to the publisher (or from whoever it imports the game from)

b) He then has distributors who buy this stock off him and distribute it to the retailers

c) The retailers then sell it to the final consumers!

So really, the publisher hardly loses any money irrespective of whether 1 copy of the game is sold here or 1000!!! He has already sold his stock to the distributor at a price which it saw as profitable to itself!
Staying on the topic, on your point a) suggests, that once the games are imported and the importer pays full money to the publisher, no publisher is obliged thereafter, and the reduction of games price depends solely on the distributor?

Hollywood rules Cinema, American television rules tv shows, North America rules the gaming market. But Cricket, India holds the upper hand.
Barack Obama said:

Barack Obama:
I don't know about cricket but still I watch cricket to see Sachin play..Not b'coz I love his play its b'coz I want to know the reason why my country's production goes down by 5 percent when he's in batting...

Setting a same price in India as in Australia just because Australians can afford it is like saying we all should buy Lambhorgini because Bill Gates can afford it. Totally senseless and illogical discussion by some of the non Indian members here :facepalm

Staying on the topic, on your point a) suggests, that once the games are imported and the importer pays full money to the publisher, no publisher is obliged thereafter, and the reduction of games price depends solely on the distributor?

Same for Film industries. Studios in India dont recieve payment after release through tickets. A 50 crore movie sells for 70 crore to distributors and 5 crores for Television rights. 1 crore for music rights. Done deal.

The short version is: BigAnt will sell their product at whatever price-point they damn well please and you'll either be able to afford it, or you won't be able to get it. Gaming is a privilege not a right.

The short version of what?? That is not even the topic of discussion!! The discussion was why the prices are different! Then it moved onto why every country should get the game at the same price. Then the Big Mac theory :p!!

Anyways, the point that was being stressed was that the games will be priced at the price where there would be demand for it in that particular region and would also be profitable to the publisher! That price will be different for your country and different for mine, and that is the decision of the publisher, as stated by you as well!

Everyone has already stated that gaming is not a right....if one can afford it he will buy the game...if he cannot afford it he would not buy the game and thats what they have been saying throughout in the forum, that if the price breaches a particular level, they would not buy it....so I dont understand why you thought there was a conflict there....or maybe you just wanted to quote something to look cool!!

And yeh, stating, without any logic or reason, that the reason for codies going broke was their pricing in India is just laughable....so please refrain from talking about nonsense since you yourself hate it so much!!

:cheers:!

This the last from me on this topic....unless obviously you humor me again with your imaginative posts :p

Find me one village boy who doesn't follow cricket and I'l agree with your comment. Even in places with no telecast, cricket prevails, in the hearts of people.
And as I said,
Anyone can go to the cricket, so volume works for gate prices and merchandise - but to be able to play a cricket game you need an upfront investment in a console or PC, at the same price as someone buying it anywhere else in the world. So the market you have left for games is a very different one than the market for cricket in general.

Cricket being popular doesn't equate to the games being successful in the market. If they were then there wouldn't have been a near three year gap between major releases, and four years between something on PC.

While it might come down a lot to the distributor/publisher, Big Ant's previous games on the local market are considerably more expensive than most other games - they started on the market at a higher than usual initial retail price and more or less haven't fallen.

Rugby League Live 2 is more expensive on Amazon right now than the pre-order for Ashes Cricket 2013.

Setting a same price in India as in Australia just because Australia can afford it is like saying we all should buy Lambhorgini because Bill Gates can afford it.
No, you set the same price because the price reflects costs. A Lambhorgini costs the same to make whether you buy it in Australia or India, so does a game. Some markets might wear a higher RRP because that's the norm, but it's not many times the price different.

Yes, further reductions depends on the importer, distributor or retailer....depending on where the stocks lie!!!

However, the distributor might cut a deal with the publisher for any 'further' imports!!!

Game developers set a RRP that covers their costs - the distributor usually adds on their bit extra for a profit. You're not going to find a distributor anywhere in the world that says "thanks for that RRP, I'm now going to price the game at below market rates and not make a profit just so Angad gets this game for super-cheap..." That's crazy. They might offer a lower price after the game has already sold well overseas, absolutely. They've prolly made a profit at that point... That's been my point all along.

Where games get "discounted" is when the distributor has made enough of a profit on sales, to warrant a reduction on their profit margins. Not the developer.

...in the case of Codemasters, I never said they went broke because of the pricing, what I did say is it's been documented that they lowered the price to sell the game in India, invested heavily in trying to promote it there and what did they get? Pirated copies everywhere... and it obviously contributed to their losses and therefore, is a huge part of the reason we haven't seen a cricket game since. The two occurrences are not mutually exclusive.

If you're wondering why there's a real lack of confidence in the Sub-Continent gaming market, you might want to ask Ross why he's not banging down the doors of the BCCI licensing department to get the rights to the IPL. There's simply not enough money in it for him.

...Also, might wanna tone down your snark, Angad... it doesn't help your argument.

Last edited:
Cricket being popular doesn't equate to the games being successful in the market. If they were then there wouldn't have been a near three year gap between major releases, and four years between something on PC.

Almost all households with a 30 year old or lesser has played EA C07 on their personal computer.
You do know 90% of them was illegal. So your point has been more or less contradicted.

Cricket being popular doesn't equate to the games being successful in the market.

Well I agree!! I have said it before that just because Indians are so passionate about Cricket does not mean a cricket game will sell well!! People need to be equally passionate about video games as well, only then will we see good sales of games in India!! Video gaming in India has just started to pick up....chances are (seeing how the next gen has access to video gaming now) it will pick up pretty rapidly over the next 5-6 years!! However, till then, no game, whether cricket or not, will sell that much here!!

Here is a figure for you to digest......there are no console games that do big numbers in India except fifa and GTA!! And by big numbers i mean less than 10k!! And this is directly from a distributor's mouth!!!!

Almost all households with a 30 year old or lesser has played EA C07 on their personal computer.
You do know 90% of them was illegal. So your point has been more or less contradicted.

Where are these numbers coming from?!

78.9% of cats want to be Astronauts.

WOW... I can do it too!

Well I agree!! I have said it before that just because Indians are so passionate about Cricket does not mean a cricket game will sell well!! People need to be equally passionate about video games as well, only then will we see good sales of games in India!! Video gaming in India has just started to pick up....chances are (seeing how the next gen has access to video gaming now) it will pick up pretty rapidly over the next 5-6 years!! However, till then, no game, whether cricket or not, will sell that much here!!

Here is a figure for you to digest......there are no console games that do big numbers in India except fifa and GTA!! And by big numbers i mean less than 10k!! And this is directly from a distributor's mouth!!!!

Thats nonsense mate. You are counting how many are interested in video gaming. You are just counting legal sales figures. The shops those sell pirated stuff earn more from the game than the distributor in India would. Fact.

...that illegal gaming discussion doesn't really help your argument at all, guys.

Just sayin'

Users who are viewing this thread