Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

It's random. There was a point during development where it was always set to the away side. But no, it's random. You're just unlucky. :p
Haha, I tried it a couple more times (so a total of 8 I think) and finally got to bat first! Came in with 5 overs to go in a Pro 40 game and only lasted 5 balls... Smashed a 123m six on the first ball (biggest one I've hit!), left a wide, nice cover drive for four, a play and miss then chopped one onto the stumps... So worth the time it took! :p

I'm off to the driving range now for one of my only attempts at playing golf! :D

Edit - My golf swing sucks, a lot of work needed! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Are the coin tosses in career mode scripted? I just wanted a quick bat but whenever I alt+F4'd and started the match again my team was bowling first every time, and I did it about 6 or 7 times...
For me as far as I have played career mode it has been 2:2 i.e

1.)Your team wins and opts to bat then if you quit and start again then the opposite team wins the toss and opts to bowl [So in both the 2 cases you are batting]...

2.)Same thing when your team wins and opts to bowl then when you start again its the opposite team which wins the toss and opts to bat ...

After this it changes...

awkward catch by hussey... :)

The fielding is just awkward in general. I've so far got 4 friends to buy the game, but ever time I try and force it on someone new I have to preface it with "just forget the fielding" or "have a look at this hilarious physics". It's downright broken, and hurts the overall image of the game, but I'm sure they're well into fixing it and have it high (as it chiseled into the wall at the office kind of high) on the list of priorities for the next iteration.

There are subtle problems with the game, like the AI not giving away enough catches in comparison to other dismissals. This is not one of them, it's just broken from start to finish, but that's fine. They got the batting and bowling (for the player, and to other players) pretty much spot on. If you offer me broken fielding for that 2 years ago I would have paid $500 instantly without regret. Having bought it for Xbox 360 and PC already, I'd paid them the other $350 right now if they had a method of giving it to them without overheads (*hint hint*, preferable by paypal).

Sigh.

The term "broken" is not understood by many... If something is "broken" it is unusable.

The fielding is not "broken".

The fielding is incorrectly balanced.

The functionality of fielding, catching, run-outs, stopping the ball, is just fine. The mechanics of how you do all things "fielding" is just fine.

The AI needs the correct balance of real vs fantasy in terms of what you want to reflect real life and what you want to reflect so the balance with "fantasy" is fun to play.

"Broken" is auto fielding in Ashes 13.

"Broken" is my batting.

Sigh.

The term "broken" is not understood by many... If something is "broken" it is unusable.

The fielding is incorrectly balanced.

The functionality of fielding, catching, run-outs, stopping the ball, is just fine. The mechanics of how you do all things "fielding" is just fine.

The AI needs the correct balance of real vs fantasy in terms of what you want to reflect real life and what you want to reflect so the balance with "fantasy" is fun to play.

"Broken" is auto fielding in Ashes 13.

"Broken" is my batting.

Sorry, I'll put it another way:

The fielding is broken in Don Bradman Cricket 14, it is broken to the point I would never defend it, as defense of such would bring many's opinions of the game down.

It is not "just fine" in any way. The keeper's movement is bizarre, the slips fielding is bizarre, the fielders anywhere move like the flash at times, and as they they are swimming in tar at other times. There are serious issues to be resolved. The bowling to AI needs balance, the are things to give a tweak or to there, but the fielding needs, forgive my Rossish, an almighty tweak. I shouldn't need to tell people: "just ignore what silly midon is doing there" or "don't worry, the keeper'll take it at 2nd slip like that". This isn't a minor issue, this is a serious, extremely visible issue. I know some are now acclimatised to the bowler being literally the greatest fieldsman of all time, but trying to explain to new players to just "ignore that, just relax now" doesn't always work.

"The keeper moves a bit far" isn't broken. He just catches 90% because he's awesome at the moment. Needs to be tweaked. I'll defend all the mechanics of fielding and win every time, because catching, throwing, diving and fielding the ball is tonnes of fun. That's not broken at all.

It's just when you hand it over to the AI to do, it's clunky needs more finessing. It's not, however, broken.

...could it and will it be better? Yeah, but it ain't broken. I love fielding online.

...I don't like batting anymore online.

[HASHTAG]#blamematt[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#mattisbroken[/HASHTAG]

"The keeper moves a bit far" isn't broken. He just catches 90% because he's awesome at the moment. Needs to be tweaked. I'll defend all the mechanics of fielding and win every time, because catching, throwing, diving and fielding the ball is tonnes of fun. That's not broken at all.

It's just when you hand it over to the AI to do, it's clunky needs more finessing. It's not, however, broken.

...could it and will it be better? Yeah, but it ain't broken. I love fielding online.

...I don't like batting anymore online.

[HASHTAG]#blamematt[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#mattisbroken[/HASHTAG]

The keeper isn't just too good, there aren't just some tweaks needed (at least on the aesthetics side), the fielding has some serious foundation issues. I've seen the keeper wander 5-6 feet away from the direction of the ball then dive to take it facing exactly towards it. This isn't just a one off either, the keeper can quite comfortably take it at second slip. Right now it's advantageous to use a field without 1st and 2nd slip, and instead 3rd, as they are completely irrelevant with the keeper being so mobile. I've even had the keeper, off pace bowling, take a catch at batpad.

Players need to have reaction times, they need to have momentum. They lack that at the moment, and I doubt we'll see any real solution before the next version (if that), but it is a painful issue at the momentum.

Cool. But it's not broken.

Cool. But it's not broken.

That's nice and all, but it is.

Next week on "He says, she says, it says, pea says": Biggs, Alberts and a being from another dimension debate how cheese and moon rock are in fact...

...which is what I said.

Users who are viewing this thread