Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

I am sure that even if the bowler bowls at 150+, the ball has to cross 22 yards, and the batsman doesn't have to play the shot as soon as the ball leaves the bowlers hand.

In real life you start moving into position and preparing the backlift as soon as the ball leaves the bowlers hand. You decide exactly what shot to play as you're moving and in the last phase of the delivery you execute your shot.

DBC is a bit different because your footwork, backlift and downswing don't happen independently. I was shouting at my guy to move when I fking told him to at first, then I realised that pressing the left stick didn't do anything during the delivery until I moved the right stick.

I still move the left stick first though because that just feels right.

In real life you start moving into position and preparing the backlift as soon as the ball leaves the bowlers hand. You decide exactly what shot to play as you're moving and in the last phase of the delivery you execute your shot.

DBC is a bit different because your footwork, backlift and downswing don't happen independently. I was shouting at my guy to move when I fking told him to at first, then I realised that pressing the left stick didn't do anything during the delivery until I moved the right stick.

I still move the left stick first though because that just feels right.

I think you got a point there, maybe that is what makes the difference.. Something did feel wrong.. It should be modified so that the batsman moves and gets into position (by moving the left stick) early as soon as the ball is released, and then play the shot with the right stick during a later phase (also gives you time to make adjustments due to late movements of the ball)

----------

Just to elaborate.. The left stick moves the feet, and the right stick the hands (shot direction) right?

So move the feet (left stick) and get into position early and then when the ball is near you move the hands (right stick) to play the shot.. The timing is always on hand movement which is when the ball is close to the batsmen. Of course he should be in the right position to play the shot in the first place, which happens earlier.. This would solve the timing problem and open lots of possibilities..

But the thing is, the pace is slowed down so that you can make your shot decision a bit earlier in the process.

I'd be really interested to play a control system where your feet move independently and your backlift happens with that movement so your right stick is literally just for downswing execution. That would be closer to the real thing, and I reckon you could react to quicker deliveries like that.

However I'm quite happy to learn to play with the DBC system, and I'm sure they're not going to start making big changes to the core mechanics when most people are quite happy, and don't want a really hardcore simulation type experience anyway.

Are you on pro cam? I'd be amazed if you're having problems with the speed with the rear view cameras.

Nope I do not use pro cam.. I do not face any problems timing or playing the ball in the general direction I wanted to, but it felt a bit odd that I should actually play the shot including hand movement and everything before the ball reached me..

Just as there is a pre-delivery input (d-pad to move the batsman sideways) and a during-delivery input (foot movement and shot), the during delivery input itself could be split into two - phase 1 to position the batsmen by moving the feet using the left stick just about the time the bowler releases, and a phase 2 to play the shot using the right stick when the ball approaches the batsman

I have no idea how difficult it would be or how much change it would require, but Ross could consider this for future upgrades/patches or even the next edition of the game.. It is still miles ahead of any other cricket game and anything I could imagine before playing, but this would possibly make it that much closer to real life cricket

I don't get what you are trying to say. In real life, you have to start your backswing almost as soon as it leaves the bowlers hand. Otherwise you would miss every ball. Also, in the game, the only logistical thing that can be done is to have to play both analog sticks together, as it would be too complicated.

IMO, The back lift starts when the bowler bowls, but the bat swing starts at different times depending on the shot, when the ball is closer to the bat. If the batsman swings when the ball leaves the bowler's hand he would have completed the shot way before the ball reached him..

It is fine for medium and spin, because for the indicator to say "Ideal", u play the ball a bit later, when it is reasonably close to u.. The problem is amplified for a fast bowler because it feels like you select the direction of swing almost as soon as the ball leaves the machine, for the indicator to say "Ideal".. I guess it wont be that complicated once we get used to it.. Just a suggestion which could be tried out..

The bowling already has unwarranted criticism for being too slow. I don't think it should be any slower to give us more time to choose a variety of factors. Fast bowling is instinct in professional cricket, and I love it in the game.

By bat swing i mean the downward swing of the bat as it comes down from the backlift (except for the hook and a few shots where it goes upwards from the backlift).. This determines the direction the ball is played

----------

Nope the bowling is fine, I misunderstood the problem.. Like T.J. said, its the separation of the foot movement & backlift (should come earlier) from the actual shot

I think it would become very complicated if the footwork was separated. Legs and bats would be flying everywhere, and I like how it's done.

It's worth noting at this juncture how much I LOVE the batting presentation from behind the batsman. Feels so natural now.

Well we wont know till we try it.. To me it feels that separating the footwork would be more natural, and if implemented accurately, make it easier to play once we get used to it..

Two major issues with the above;

a) Multiplayer - the latency of the internet *must* be taken into account and often is not (as above). The ball would be at the stumps before the first packet arrived for the batsman.

b) More important than A) above, recent studies show that the English don't bat so well, they do make up a fair chunk of our market, so if we sped it up to international standard then they would not cope.

Two major issues with the above;

a) Multiplayer - the latency of the internet *must* be taken into account and often is not (as above). The ball would be at the stumps before the first packet arrived for the batsman.

b) More important than A) above, recent studies show that the English don't bat so well, they do make up a fair chunk of our market, so if we sped it up to international standard then they would not cope.

Ross, I think the first issue is going to be a problem as it is for an average connection, and I totally agree with the second (I am an Indian, and the Brits thrashed us here, but that memory has been wiped out long ago).. But maybe implement this for only the higher difficulty levels? And disable it for online multiplayer?

I don't have any idea if it is possible with accuracy though, there is a limit to the accuracy with which real sport can be simulated, and I guess DBC 14 is already pushing those limits, but just a suggestion..

The plan with the Academy was to ease you in to the new way of playing, and then increase the speed of the ball to see how people coped. They have.

We will also move some other nuances across with the next iteration.

So yeah, we're watching and taking notes, and you thought only Big American Corps were evil :)

Do you watch while we sleep?

Users who are viewing this thread