Don Bradman Cricket in the Press

I haven't seen this game reviewed for ps4/xb1 in any of the UK gaming magazines.But that is hardly surprising when one considers that this game is simply an upscaled version from the ps3/360 version. Absolutely no effort has been made to improve the game. Therefore there is nothing to add from previous last gen reviews because the game is identical(upscaling apart)

Because there wasn't suppose to be added anything. It was just an addition of current generation consoles to the list that was in demand for quite a time. About the improvement well patch 3 is coming up and as seen previously after getting it on PCs it will soon be coming on ps4 and xbone as well.

Lets talk about this then...

Big Ant, Bare Bums, and Don Bradman - IGN

....possibly one of the best interviews @Ross has done. This my favorite bit though:

“We’re too small to do it all so we’re actually expanding the [Don Bradman] Academy so that in years to come it’ll have a stadium creator,” says Symons. “Every part of art in the game we’re gonna try and make it so that people can mod but without having to use mod tools.”

I'm all for this. Really am. Unlock that shit @BigAntStudios

Absolutely pumped, sounds like we're edging towards some new updates, guys.

This is quite relevant to a bit of discussion we've been having about the release in the UK -

Big Ant has also learned a hard lesson about selling sports games abroad via DBC14’s reception in the UK. Despite Don Bradman’s significance as an icon of cricket (and his reputation as one of the most statistically dominant athletes of all time) Symons is earnest in his admission the team made a gaffe not localising the game’s identify for the UK market.

“Yeah, we made a mistake,” says Symons. “There is no doubt in my mind we made a mistake. With all due reverence to Don Bradman we made an error.”

“There was a couple of errors there. If I put myself in the opposite position, if I put myself in a Pom’s shoes, am I going to buy an Australian cricketer? If I’m into cricket, maybe. But the box is green and gold. It’s an error. The box shouldn’t have been green and gold for a start. I think that’s a bit of a put off.”

Symons compares it to the incredibly tribal nature of the state-based rivalry in Australia’s State of Origin rugby league series, featuring the New South Wales Blues and the Queensland Maroons.

“If I was in New South Wales, am I gonna buy a maroon box for Rugby League Live?” laughs Symons. “You’re just not gonna have a maroon box in your bloody house.”

Symons has resolved to find a similar, iconic equivalent for UK releases of the series in the future.

“We have to have regionalised players,” says Symons. “We just have to.”

I'd certainly say it didn't take anything away from Brian Lara to have Shane Warne and then Ricky Ponting on the cover of the game in Australia.

This is quite relevant to a bit of discussion we've been having about the release in the UK -

I'd certainly say it didn't take anything away from Brian Lara to have Shane Warne and then Ricky Ponting on the cover of the game in Australia.

I just find it very very sad the idea that Bradman isn’t considered good enough to sell in the UK. I also would genuinely query who do we think is going to be better?

In terms of a current global profile, you’ve possibly got KP; but how long will he have that profile if he’s not playing for England and forgoes this year’s IPL contract when his IPL value already plummeted at the last auction. Also, if you choose him you’ve got zero chance of any accommodation/licensing with the ECB and I could see them starting to get involved re the image rights infringements in the Academy.

Who else you gonna get? The insipid, soggy Rich Tea known as Alastair Cook? Do me a favour. Stuart “I know what % of Yorkers the Saffies bowl but I can’t take a wicket against Scotland” Broad? Can’t see it.

If you go historic, well there’s Botham; Hobbs would be closer to Bradman in time and achievement; or there’s the second best cricketer of all time, Basil D’Oliveira (would be my choice if you had to). Douggie Jardine or Harold Larwood if you’re being playful… but let’s be honest with the exception of Botham not one of them would mean anything more to a non-cricket fan than Bradman.

As for the box being green and gold, well that never even occurred to me until I read the interview.

Bottom line, I don’t believe a single person in the UK thought “I want to play a cricket game, there’s only one cricket game to play but it’s got an Aussie on the green and gold box – nah I’ll give my £40 to mad Sarah down the Red Lion and have a hummer instead.”

It seems to me there is a very strong brand in danger of being thrown out because the wrong lessons have been learned from the botched UK release.

Here's something I said before the game released, I think I make a good point:
I'd also find all the images of Bradman at British grounds and put the best one on the box, colour it blue and swap the 'Tru Blu' logo for an HES one to try and deemphasise the whole Australian thing.

Agree with the post @blockerdave.

If they were to go down the road of regionalised licenses, I wouldn't go for an English one. We only really have one stand out star name (Botham) who many non-cricket fans would know. I would fear that may give the game more of an 80's look as well, unlike Bradman from many decades ago.

If moving away from the Australian theme was essential, I would look to have someone such as Sobers as the name, it didn't seem to happen the BLC series, but would not be sure that it would have the same status as Bradman. What I personally would do is have the Bradman name everywhere in the world, and then have a couple of either current players or legends on the cover, with just a small picture of Bradman, depending on the country, although the licenses may be difficult. Pretty much what the likes of Biggs has suggested with the Madden-esque route.

Interesting and open interview though. Love the thoughts of the mod level of customisation in DBA, even if I'm terrible at all that myself.

Last edited:
Well, tell you what I'd do, if I was determined to provide an element of localisation - I'd try and have a cricketing icon from a few countries and eras all together on the box, which would be the same everywhere...

e.g. you'd keep the large picture of Bradman, and in front of him/over the bottom you'd have smaller pics of 4 or 5 later icons up to a present day one...

so you could have: Sobers; Gavaskar; Botham; Richards; De Villiers underneath...*

You're showing Bradman as part of a connection of legends through to the present day, but he takes his place rightfully as capo di tutti capi.

*i realise i'm missing a late 90s/early 2000s player, but i figured Tendulkar is too expensive especially if India isn't really paying for the game; Ponting/Lara/Warne already had games so probably not viable/desirable and few people venerate Graham Thorpe quite like me.

Last edited:
*i realise i'm missing a late 90s/early 2000s player, but i figured Tendulkar is too expensive especially if India isn't really paying for the game; Ponting/Lara/Warner already had games so probably not viable/desirable and few people venerate Graham Thorpe quite like me.
Well as long as Trescothick's on there, I'm happy

Well, tell you what I'd do, if I was determined to provide an element of localisation - I'd try and have a cricketing icon from a few countries and eras all together on the box, which would be the same everywhere...

That's the best idea for sure. As far as English players go there can't be any more popular than "Freddy" Flintoff. Obviously he was nowhere near the player the likes of Bradman, Gavaskar, etc were but marketabilty wise he would be my number one choice as he is a household name in the U.K. I know there have been android games in the past bearing his name so I don't know what the contractual issues would be in regards to this. After that my choices would be Pietersen of Botham.

But it's a sad fact of the matter that crickets popularity in the U.K. is declining, not helped by a poor/bland squad of payers and it only being shown on pay to watch television. Had DBC released in the mid 2000's it would have sold bucket loads even if it had Glenn McGrath on the cover showing 5- nil with his fingers!

That's the best idea for sure. As far as English players go there can't be any more popular than "Freddy" Flintoff. Obviously he was nowhere near the player the likes of Bradman, Gavaskar, etc were but marketabilty wise he would be my number one choice as he is a household name in the U.K. I know there have been android games in the past bearing his name so I don't know what the contractual issues would be in regards to this. After that my choices would be Pietersen of Botham.

But it's a sad fact of the matter that crickets popularity in the U.K. is declining, not helped by a poor/bland squad of payers and it only being shown on pay to watch television. Had DBC released in the mid 2000's it would have sold bucket loads even if it had Glenn McGrath on the cover showing 5- nil with his fingers!

Flintoff! Yes be very good for that era, in England certainly.[DOUBLEPOST=1427189173][/DOUBLEPOST]I think KP polarises fans and wonder if he 'do be the best choice...

Flintoff already had a game I think, although I think it was a DS only one?

I always thought the best approach was to take a generic name which allows you to have different cover stars each year or in different territories but all of the same trademarks/web addresses etc. I thought this was what BA were doing when they registered all those domain names for Cricket XX.

i don't understand the focus on trying to have different stars in different territories. it's difficult enough to establish one brand, let alone several.

Flintoff already had a game I think, although I think it was a DS only one?

Cricket07.png

Iu02vqm.jpg

The DS one was called Shane Watson Powerplay Cricket in Australia.

I think KP polarises fans and wonder if he 'do be the best choice...

He does true, the same could have been said about Ponting though, who was certainly not the most popular of players even within Australia. I cannot think of anyone else currently playing who has any sort of marketability. An Alistair Cook career mode could be interesting though, start off amazing then slowly get worse until you are back playing Sunday league scratching for runs!

Users who are viewing this thread