DRAFT! Ashes history...

Who's drafted the best Ashes team?

• Total voters
Corrected the obvious mistake.

Well , I did mention in the write-up that he played only 18 matches , in which 15 were of Ashes and 3 were against RSA.

:aus: Keith Miller

6a0120a735b61b970b0133f3db139c970b-800wi

Ashes Record

Capable enough to make it to any side of his era through his batting ability, not for nothing was Keith Miller known as one of the best bowlers of his time. He was neither inconsistent like Botham nor an allrounder which favored one facet of the game. By all means he was the most complete allrounder to play for Australia till date. If you look close at Miller's stats, you will find that he has performed exceedingly well with the bat when his team has won fielding first while he has bowled some of his best spells when Australia has won a match batting first which shows that he becomes a lot more dangerous player when he has a target in mind and the best part of him is he became better with his age. Something that you strive for in a player. All in all a perfect man to have in the team and if he had a captain like Steve Waugh, he could have only performed better.

----------

I'm pretty sure Lohmann was a right arm bowler. This must be a different bowler.

Ashes stats for Miller?

And Lohman was from a bygone era but awesome run in the Ashes none-the-less.

Last edited by a moderator:
53078.1.jpg
JEFF THOMSON

He wasn't the best, most consistent bowler. He didn't find excessive swing. What Jeff Thomson did have, though, was serious pace. On the rarest of occasions that a speed gun was in operation, he was clocked at 99.8 miles per hour, on a day when he'd spent most of his time sat on the throne in the changing room toilets.

Thomson also bowled in such a natural way that he could make his body last. He played 51 Tests, the last of which when he was 35. He picked up an even 200 wickets at 28 apiece. He did this largely by striking fear into the heart of every batsman to have faced him with his fierce pace that was hard to pick up owing to the fact that he brought the ball through right behind his body. In one-day cricket, there was a case of the-faster-it-comes-the-faster-it-goes, but the average Test batsman, and particularly English Test batsmen, were too busy trying not to get pinned to the sight-screen. He was also a useful hitter down the order.

Didn't like spinners.

-
-
:aus: WL Murdoch :wkb:
-
-
:eng: A Flintoff :ar:
-
-
-
:aus: JR Thomson :bwl:
-​

I'm pretty sure Lohmann was a right arm bowler. This must be a different bowler.

Pretty sure that left armer is Hedley Verity.

Man! I was looking to pick Lohmann. Anyways, he has a relatively poor record in the Ashes so will take heart from it. ha ha

Lohmann's always an interesting one in drafts. Has the lowest average, but doesn't seem to be regarded as the premier bowler of that era. Certainly up there with the best, but not the clear favourite by any means. Wish history could tell us more!

----------

EDIT: Also...looking for a new drafter to take over User's squad. He's got Hutton and Gilchrist, pretty nice start. Anyone reading this want to take over? Or anyone know of someone who'd be interested? There's always the odd guy hanging around who might be interested, but before I ask anyone I'll check with you guys first.

Michael Slater

164B7FF2C11ECD95BF5728B01D1E22.jpg

Ashes record:20 tests, 1669 runs @ 45.10. 7 100's , 4 50's - best 176

My favourite opener ever & for me he was easily the most naturally talented AUS opener since Bob Simpson/Bill Lawry era. Taylor, Langer, Hayden would beat him in longevity - but that flair (especially vs good bowling) they never had.

I have a massive soft spot for Slats because more so than his illness & lack of form in the early 2000's cost him a place in the AUS test side - i've always blamed the AUS selectors in the mid 90s for not continuously backing his talent.

When he scored his famous 152 in his second Ashes test @ Lord's 93 - a star was born. He ended his career known more for getting out in the 90s - but the fact that he scored half his centuries in Ashes test at least means he fits in well here.

After averaging 47 in tests from 1993-1996 facing the usual top 90s bowlers from windies, pak, s africa and holding his own - this man was on the verge to be one of the great AUS openers.

But then just because he played one reckless shot in the only test vs India 1996 - the selectors decided to drop him for for Matt Elliot & Hayden because they were scoring tones of runs in state cricket and a-team matches.

Hayden & Elliot didn't fear well & after 15 months Slater came back, but this axing messed him up mentally make no question about it. He had some good innings after 98, but he was never the same again. Slater not becoming a great because of this is one of the great tragedies of talent going to waste i've always said.

Last edited:
^Agree with ya, loved Slats! He was a great player to watch. The 176 he scored on day 1 of the 94/95 Ashes still sticks out in my mind. It was a great 'tone setter' for the whole series, plenty of boundaries and all the English bowlers suffered. There was a big Slater/Mark Waugh partnership that day, two of my favourite ever batsmen.

Terry Alderman

!CBePm1w!2k~$(KGrHqMOKjkE0cQ5Ph5GBNH3)q5)!w~~_35.JPG
_42346195_alderman.jpg

Records

The Ashes

Header.png
Record.png

Imagine you are a batsman, and now think you are to face Glenn McGrath from both ends. Scary isn't it? That is exactly why I have got Alderman in the side. A man with ordinary test record for an Australian seamer of his time, it will not be wrong to say that he was born to play the Ashes. 100 wickets in 17 games at an average of 21 is amazing and let me remind you we are not talking about the 19th century! An amazing swing bowler once touted as the successor of Dennis Lillee, Alderman was one of the best bowlers to be a part of the reputed tournament. Yes, there were too many batsmen with excellent average and conversion rate (I know about whom you were talking, Sifter) but no, a man with McGrath like stats and that too in the 1980s when England produced some of their best batsmen was too good to leave out. Had he not received a 3 year ban for taking part in Australia's unofficial tour of South Africa which led him to miss the 1985 Ashes, his stats could have been better.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice picks lads :thumbs

That vid shows the magic of the Terry Alderman vs Graham Gooch matchup. In the 1989 series, Gooch was LBW 3 or 4 times to Alderman, all for low scores. Not sure whether it was in consecutive innings, but it was pretty close together. He made one of the better batsmen of the era a walking wicket :thumbs

Just a friendly reminder...round 4 which starts very soon will feature TWO players per pick. So start looking around and make yourself a decent shortlist of players so you are prepared :)

Users who are viewing this thread