Ea Fifa 2008

Btw, I was not being a PES fanboy with my post, just saying that the PS2 version has not improved much ;).
This might be the year I have to turn to consoles, preferably a PS3 because I love my football games, and the two football games on PC this year, one is crap (Fifa 08, the PC version anyway) and the other is a good game but runs very badly on my computer (PES 2008).
I will not bash next-gen Fifa any more, I will try to give it a chance and if I do get a console or get the chance to play Fifa 08 on a next-gen console, I will give it a fair chance.
PES 2008 is good, but it is not mindblowingly amazingly better than PES6.
I have realised that videos are no way to judge a game (If you saw a video of Football Manager it would look very boring... the real game is not that way at all...) and that people who like Fifa are not always idiots who are not football fans (Some people buy Fifa because it has their team, like lower league teams).

Am I forgiven by you Fifa players?
I am not a fanboy of either game now, I probably won't buy either unless I get a console this year...

Wow that's refreshing to hear (hope you mean it!) :p

Been on FIFA08 since I got home from college and I must say it's been adictive Season mode is seeming to be a struggle won the community shield drew my first three matches and just won 3-0 against City (I'm United btw).

Playing on Semi-Pro it's definatly not as hard as it is in the demo but still hard to get a good shot in so it's well balanced.

Some of the ball physics are funny at times I must admit but they don't ruine the enjoyment, this is the first FIFA where I have been on the edge of my seat trying to get a goal and when I miss close chance's out comes the verbal abuse.

Good job EA!

fifa08logo.jpg

Play and Manager Mode
Xbox 360

I'll talk of Graphics in more detail later, but for now, i'll give a run down of the play.

First game, Newcastle (Playing as my supported team ;)) Vs. Liverpool.

First half i hadnt made the breakthrough, which i was happy with actually, gone are the days of 40 yard screamers from the kick off, no, long shots dont bring rewards, and if they do, man, the goal is a belter worthy of brag by anyone.

Finding space, and passing to it is vital, the passing system seems to have been tweaked so that not every pass goe to the player, and it doesnt feel like the ball is on a string infront of the player now, easier to lose, harder to gain.

Right, my favourite bit of any fifa game, the addictive Manager Mode, and so far, im disappointed, gone are the days of good fun, its serious now! A loss brings negetives, and brings morale right down. Its a lot harder to sign players which is a bonus as i dont want a star studded squad first up.

Again, i dont think the manager mode will be so addictive as 07, but i think Be A Pro will be! Again, ill come back later with another review of other things.

So far.....7/10 (Addictiveness loss on the Manager mode has damaged the score)

Sounds, looks great...OK, I CANT WAIT TO GET THE GAME:(

Can you let us in on the shooting next mate?

Btw, I was not being a PES fanboy with my post, just saying that the PS2 version has not improved much ;).
This might be the year I have to turn to consoles, preferably a PS3 because I love my football games, and the two football games on PC this year, one is crap (Fifa 08, the PC version anyway) and the other is a good game but runs very badly on my computer (PES 2008).
I will not bash next-gen Fifa any more, I will try to give it a chance and if I do get a console or get the chance to play Fifa 08 on a next-gen console, I will give it a fair chance.
PES 2008 is good, but it is not mindblowingly amazingly better than PES6.
I have realised that videos are no way to judge a game (If you saw a video of Football Manager it would look very boring... the real game is not that way at all...) and that people who like Fifa are not always idiots who are not football fans (Some people buy Fifa because it has their team, like lower league teams).

Am I forgiven by you Fifa players?
I am not a fanboy of either game now, I probably won't buy either unless I get a console this year...

No!!!! No more Punk v Madman!!!:noway

Wow that's refreshing to hear (hope you mean it!) :p

Been on FIFA08 since I got home from college and I must say it's been adictive Season mode is seeming to be a struggle won the community shield drew my first three matches and just won 3-0 against City (I'm United btw).

Playing on Semi-Pro it's definatly not as hard as it is in the demo but still hard to get a good shot in so it's well balanced.

Some of the ball physics are funny at times I must admit but they don't ruine the enjoyment, this is the first FIFA where I have been on the edge of my seat trying to get a goal and when I miss close chance's out comes the verbal abuse.

Good job EA!

Great to here it is exciting!

It's hard to get goals I can dominate against teams that usually get dominated by United but getting the goals is the problem (although in the last few matches I've had good results).

Against Derby had a right thriller, they took the lead befor half-time, then I pulled one back around the 70th with Saha, and then he got another one back at 94mins, would have been a embarassment if it was anything but a win!

Shooting (To the stars, literally)

Shooting on FIFA 08 is a lot harder as i brushed over. Timing is the key, and if it isnt remotely well times, the ball will indeed fly up to the stars, past Row Z and onto neverland.

Shooting is also a lot more precise. A nice goal i scored with Emre on his right (wrong foot) he was on the edge of the area, left hand corner, cross/shot, curled round the GK and into the bottom bag.

Yeah, its fustrating and i can see a lot of no goal draws from in-experienced players but man, does it manage for some exciting games. 3-3 in the FA Cup Final, bang, 93rd Minute, Man United give a freekick away, Oba Martins stands up, left foot, crossbar and out, and Owen slots it into the net with his head!

Nice to here at least it isnt as easy as FIFA07 was to score:( You could pass it to Rooney at the edge of the box, turn around easily and score.

Closing Comments
Ultimately, the real victory is on the pitch, with a flowing brand of attacking football almost reminiscent of that other football game, Pro Evolution something. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then Konami can consider themselves duly flattered. The real winners are PS2 owners though, able to cock a snook at the fancy graphics of more expensive consoles while enjoying a supremely playable game of association football. Sometimes, looks aren't everything.

Why I want it on PS2. Read the last sentence!!!!!

Last edited:
The last 7-8 years the PC and PS2 have had the same bugged up game...plus the person who wrote that probably has a ugly gf...:p

I had a very funny match, after this post people may think 'Oh no same old FIFA'

Okay basically I've been struggling a lot to win games most of my season matches have been draws. Now then I had Blackburn at home and to cut the story short the final score was: Manchester United 7 - 1 Blackburn!

That worried me, even though it's on Semi-Pro I won by a unreal score (literally unreal) But after it was same old hard to score etc....hope it was a one off.

Still enjoyed it though, don't think I've scored 7 goals in the whole season.....okay I have...

Arsenal beat Everton 7-0 the season that we came 4th, it's not completely unreal. It's good to have a few hammerings in a season, cant wait to get my hands on the game though. Are the english lower divisions in the next gen versions ?

Arsenal beat Everton 7-0 the season that we came 4th, it's not completely unreal. It's good to have a few hammerings in a season, cant wait to get my hands on the game though. Are the english lower divisions in the next gen versions ?

That is true...forgot about that one ;)

And of course they are, yet to play with Palace though...:cool:

I bought the game today and I am currently playing my second match. I think it is almost incomparable with the demo, this is the most realistic edition of FIFA I have played.

Playing as Newcastle United against Manchester City, I had a shot, which was blocked. The ball spooned up into the air just inside the penalty area. When it came down, I tried a shot with Mark Viduka. It blasted into the post and into the top corner! Kasper Schmeichel didn't have a clue!

Yep, the PlayStation 3 edition includes teams from the Coca-Cola Football League. I was pleasently surprised that I can play as the mighty Norwich now!

Last edited:
I bought the game today and I am currently playing my second match. I think it is almost incomparable with the demo, this is the most realistic edition of FIFA I have played.

Playing as Newcastle United against Manchester City, I had a shot, which was blocked. The ball spooned up into the air just inside the penalty area. When it came down, I tried a shot with Mark Viduka. It blasted into the post and into the top corner! Kasper Schmeichel didn't have a clue!

Yep, the PlayStation 3 edition includes teams from the Coca-Cola Football League. I was pleasently surprised that I can play as the mighty Norwich now!

That was confirmed ages ago that the next-gen consoles will have lower league teams...:cool:

I have been enjoying a realistic but fun game:

Norwich City* 0-1 Sheffield Wednesday
Manchester City 0-2 *Newcastle United
Scum 1-0 Norwich City*
Norwich City* 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday
Hull City 1-2 Norwich City*

*player controlled team

If you are wondering, Scum is actually Ipswich Town! I played all of those matches on Semi-Pro difficulty.

I thought when you said scum it ment Liverpool...

Whats the site to watch uploaded vids?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread