Education Thread

Who are better? Male or female teachers?

• Total voters
7 schooldays until the winter break! 1 weekend in the middle of it- I finish on Tuesday December 20. :)

It took me ages to find this thread, but if I don't tell somebody about what has just hit me I will go mad!
This is my school timetable and a little description of the lessons for tomorrow:

Period 1: 8:45am-9:35am Geography

We've been drawing up a tourist brochure for an eco-holiday in Kenya. On Tuesday in this lesson I had so many problems with the computers like them not accepting my password, no mice or keyboards etc. so I couldn't get my schedule done as well as I'd like- in fact I got so fed up I worked with a friend and as he was using his own account I had no access to it. During lunchtime on Tuesday I was on the opposite site (there are two sites to our school with a road seperating them) and I wasn't going to cross to come back again, and today the friend I was working with was away on an athletics day at the university, so no access... then the teacher we had told us to do as much as we could to the brochure before Thursday... and all I've been able to do is a front cover which isn't going to get me marks! I need to do 90 minutes work in 50 minutes tomorrow, and so early too!

Period 2: 9:35am-10:30am English

My first GCSE grade will be given to me in this lesson as I give my presentation to the class about an advertising campaign I would use to advertise an imaginary device called Teen Tracker. I'm pretty prepared for this, with notes on what I'm going to say and a completed magazine advert to pass around, but I have 10 minutes at the start to draw a storyboard on an A4 sheet of paper for my TV ad.

Interval: 10:30am-10:45am

Not much to say here, just that I eat a packet of crisps and go to the toilet! :D

Period 3: 10:45am-11:35am History

An easy lesson guaranteed. I did my assessment in class last week and got a Level 6 for it despite only giving MYSELF a level 5!! Anyway, we are likely to do some source work on women in the 20th century which is my strong point.

Period 4: 11:35am-12:30pm Religious Education

This is most definetely the worst lesson of the day. We started GCSE RE a couple of weeks ago and most of it is not actually studying a religion- it's about authority and all that which I'm not too good with!

Lunch: 12:30pm-1:10pm

Just the same as Interval except that I eat more than a packet of crisps and have a little bit more time to muck about with my friends, which in this case is talking about gaming and the like.

Form room: 1:10pm-1:35pm

We sit in the room and chat- we are supposed to have a schedule set by the headmistress for form room but our teacher is really great!

Period 5: 1:35pm-2:25pm Physical Education

Yay! Cricket is what we're doing at the moment and I look like Andrew Flintoff compared to this lot. I bat at number 11 and bowl third change for my club but last week I was run out (due to my partner's stupid single) for about 30 odd and then bowled a wicket maiden!

Period 6: 2:25pm-3:20pm Information, Communications and Technology

Our normal teacher is away on maternity leave so we have a rather good replacement. We've had all sorts of teachers leave for this reason recently (must be the season for it) but this is the one they've dealt with best- within a week they had employed a replacement. The work we do here isn't too brain challenging anyway.

Extra curricular: 3:20pm-4:45pm Cricket practice

I look like Andrew Flintoff here too! The puny Year 8s think they are so big and clever (despite not knowing the rules of the game) and they always got in first to do everything so I moaned to the coach and he promised that this week we will play a match against them- Year 8 v Year 9 (me). Ha! Watch out! I wouldn't mind missing a bit of the second England match to teach those little gits a thing or two!

You guys are lucky! I still have 3 weeks of school left! But We're going to the Skydome to watch Baseball, and on the 2nd last day Its Wonderland time!

I finish on Friday for a week then again on July 21st for six weeks...

I've got my Year 9 half-yearly exams coming up in Week 7 (it's currently Week 4) and I'm not looking forward to it! I usually obtain a mark of above 85 percent in most of the subjects- not always with science, though- but with maths, although I generally understand a topic pretty well at the time of learning it, I can only remember it vaguely soon after we get into a new chapter. I'll have to revise a fair bit for that very soon, and despite Year 9 exams not being of the greatest importance, we have to maintain a decent standard otherwise we get dropped from advanced. The annoying thing is that we have so many assignment based assessments at the time of exams, that it's hard to manage the time. Anyway, community service tomorrow! :)
Skateboarder, you know with your GCSE's, is that a progressive examining process or something, or just a seperate course where you learn the information that will feature in the written exam? And another question, do you's study Australian History at all?

Last edited:
Well,i'm rather lazy with my schoolwork,but still managed two A+'s in my English and Media SAC recently!Whats really annoying about coming up to Exams is that we have to do mountains of work right up to the first Exam!!

My class sucks. I hate it. The noise and my classmates are boneheads.

About a week ago I had to write a 6,000 word essay. Not fun :(

I really feel sorry for Uni students who I've been told have to write upwards of 100,000 word doctorates.

Cricket_60 said:
About a week ago I had to write a 6,000 word essay. Not fun :(

I really feel sorry for Uni students who I've been told have to write upwards of 100,000 word doctorates.

Errrr. Not 100,000. 10,000 would probably be the most for a disertation. However if you do a course like medicine and you add up all the assignments it may get close to 100,000 :)

I am a Uni student and have finished now, I have 4 months off :)

Users who are viewing this thread