Education Thread

Who are better? Male or female teachers?

• Total voters
JamesyJames3 said:
Errrr. Not 100,000. 10,000 would probably be the most for a disertation. However if you do a course like medicine and you add up all the assignments it may get close to 100,000 :)

I am a Uni student and have finished now, I have 4 months off :)
Well, I've just got my GCSE Statistics coursework back. It was 42 pages long !!!! That'll be about 20,000 words at least. Shocking. But then I am quite a geek. Anyway, I got 36 out of 40 and an A*. This means I'll be going into my Statistics exam on June 23 needing only about 75% for an A*! Geez, it's less than a month away now. I better start revising...

Ill give you my tomorrow (friday) just to add to the conversation. I should point out that our Friday timetable is different to our regular one, as is our Monday. Im in Year 8 (13 years old)

8:50-9:00: Registration, boring but weve been having a student teacher as a form tutor and he leaves! He was terrible... Now we get our old one back! :)
9:00-9:20: Assembly. Boring as well! Im at a faith school, so prayers for me. Oh joy :rolleyes:
9:20-10:40: Maths, not bad. We have a good teacher so it should be an ok lesson. Currently learning: Er... SATs Papers :p
10:40-10:50: Break! Quite fun, if short
10:50-12:00: Chumash (pronounce "Ch" as in loch) Religious school, meaning 3 different religious lessons. Learn about stuff from the Torah/Old Testament if you are Christian. Currently Learning: 10 plagues and splitting of the sea
12:00-1:05: Lunch. Our school has very good lunches and I have a lunch pass to skip the queue!
1:05-1:10: Registration, again :rolleyes:
1:10-2:15: History. nobody can really be bothered with this. The head of department walks in at random intervals and says how terrible we are... We arnt that bad btw. A little boring. Currently Learning: King Charles II, Life in Restoration England
2:15-2:25: Break, same as earlier
2:25-3:30: ICT. Now we are talking! Last one of the half term, so a fun lesson on the computers! Shame that so many sites are blocked by the school... like BBC sport :rolleyes:
3:30 End of day, and Half Term. One more left!

10:50-12:00: Chumash (pronounce "Ch" as in loch) Religious school, meaning 3 diffe
rent religious lessons. Learn about stuff from the Torah/Old Testament if you are Christian.Currently Learning: 10 plagues and splitting of the sea
What the hell?!! I've never come across anything called Chumash in England! Not even in R.E (religious education), which by the way I've dropped for GCSEs. Still have to do it half an hour a week though. 'Tis quite amusing given that we do subjects that are very remotely related to religion such as euthanasia and drug abuse.

Chumash?? Just wondering, are you in a private school ?

Adarsh said:
'Tis quite amusing given that we do subjects that are very remotely related to religion such as euthanasia and drug abuse.

Well, euthanasia kinda is relevant to religious matters, seeing as it's a suicide mechanism, bringing in all sorts of moral opinions from various social and spiritual groups. Still, as you said, not your average topical study for RE. Drug abuse is another thing, though...
I also attend a Catholic school, and we can't drop RE throughout our entire secondary education, although I believe that we can opt for it not to contribute to our HSC in Yr 12 by taking a seperate Catholic Studies course.

Last edited:
James219 said:
I've got my Year 9 half-yearly exams coming up in Week 7 (it's currently Week 4) and I'm not looking forward to it! I usually obtain a mark of above 85 percent in most of the subjects- not always with science, though- but with maths, although I generally understand a topic pretty well at the time of learning it, I can only remember it vaguely soon after we get into a new chapter. I'll have to revise a fair bit for that very soon, and despite Year 9 exams not being of the greatest importance, we have to maintain a decent standard otherwise we get dropped from advanced. The annoying thing is that we have so many assignment based assessments at the time of exams, that it's hard to manage the time. Anyway, community service tomorrow! :)
Skateboarder, you know with your GCSE's, is that a progressive examining process or something, or just a seperate course where you learn the information that will feature in the written exam? And another question, do you's study Australian History at all?

James if I were you, I wouldn't be too bothered about year 9 half yearlies. Don't spend too much time studying and enjoy time in high school before facing the tough workload in senior high school. For instance I barely even studied for my exams and I would generally receive an A, which reflects the easy workload of juniour high school. Another advice is don't listen to your teachers when they say that School Certificate is of vital importance and dont study too hard on it. In all honesty, I barely even studied at all and I received a Band 6 in Maths and History while the other subjects I received Band 5's. Anyways hope you do well in your exams and hope you maintain your spot in Advanced Maths :D and you thinking of doing Extension Maths in Year 11 and 12?? I would certainly advise you to take it as you seem very rather sound with your maths.

James219 said:
Well, euthanasia kinda is relevant to religious matters, seeing as it's a suicide mechanism, bringing in all sorts of moral opinions from various social and spiritual groups. Still, as you said, not your average topical study for RE. Drug abuse is another thing, though...
I also attend a Catholic school, and we can't drop RE throughout our entire secondary education, although I believe that we can opt for it not to contribute to our HSC in Yr 12 by taking a seperate Catholic Studies course.

I know a few friends who attend catholic school and say that you can choose 1 unit study of religion or 2 unit for your HSC. Since it is compulsory for you, I suggest you to take 2 units in year 11 since you may want to drop a subject by the time you reach year 12. Also if you do really crap at it, it may not contribute to your HSC as they only count towards your best 10 units. I myself have to do a subject which is compulsory, agriculture :D

After reading that last line, I think I've just figured out what school you go to....
Anyway, I don't take the half-yearlies too seriously, and I still ace most of the exams, bar science, which is a subject I really hate, and do not intend on selecting either Bio/Chemistry/Physics, come Stage 6. And yeah, I'm not one of those ignorant year nine guys who thinks the SC actually goes towards anything; it's only important if you leave in year 10. I'm pretty good at maths, not overly 'fast' at it though, as my main strengths are writing-related subjects, such as English/History/Geography. I won't look to take Extension 1 or 2 maths, though, as I'll be busy writing massive essays with 3 unit English (hopefully)! :p
I'll probably do 2 unit advanced maths (it's actually called mathematics now, eh?), though- I also plan on taking 2 unit religion. Anyway, I'm getting too far ahead of myself ;)
So, you're in Year 11? What subjects have you taken?

Good on your James for thinking that the whole SC is useless :D Even guys that I know who leave in year 10 still didn't take the School C seriously. It is just a ridiculous test which is probably going to be scrapped in the future. I advise you to take Ext 1 Maths first and if you don't like it then simply drop back down to 2 unit. Personally I find Ext 1 maths quite easy and its basically just 2 unit but slightly more difficult questions. I don't take Ext 1 English but I heard people say that it is really hard work and most are going to drop it in year 12. My subjects are Ext 1 maths, physics, chem, advanced english, economics and agriculture. I am thinking of dropping physics though in year 12, as it is my weakest subject I feel :D What school do you think I go to then? :D

Girraween High! ;)
I'm making that guess based on the fact that it's known as an agricultural school...
I can't believe you take Physics! That would be tough, and I hear Chemistry is painfully boring. But, you have to understand, I feel this way due to my dislike of science in general. So, no history subjects? I'll probably take Modern History in Yr 11. What's Economics like? I might think about Business Studies...

Nope, keep guessing ;) Physics is quite hard with the whole lot of calculations, but if you are decent at maths then you should do well in physics. Chemistry I find more enjoyable despite receiving a very crap mark in a recent exam I've done. History is not my cup of tea but surprisingly I got 93 in the School Certificate for History :D A fair amound of people I know take modern history and they enjoy it so I would suggest you to take the subject. Economics I find is okay i guess, a lot of knowledge is required and you really need to use economics jargon to go really well especially in essays. I chose economics because I might want to take a course in commerce or economics in the future. Business Studies is not as complex as Economics but Economics will scale you higher in the HSC.

Adarsh said:
What the hell?!! I've never come across anything called Chumash in England! Not even in R.E (religious education), which by the way I've dropped for GCSEs. Still have to do it half an hour a week though. 'Tis quite amusing given that we do subjects that are very remotely related to religion such as euthanasia and drug abuse.

Chumash?? Just wondering, are you in a private school ?

Jewish subject for a Jewish school mate. And yes, it is as boring as it sounds!

Well from next week Thursday, exams kick off in my part of the world. Thankfully those two days are block days for me, and I only start on the Monday afterwards with Physical Science.

I got my target grade for the presentation, I was the last one to go on Thursday, anxious to get it out of the way. I was really nervous actually, more than I ever expected but all in all I got through it well and got my 'C', not bad as I worked alone rather than with a partner!

I like my school. But a few teachers in my school love to scold students for even the minutest faults :p.

Anyway, I have been promoted to 11th class. It was a great 10th class board exam for me. Got 90 percent marks.:D

Users who are viewing this thread