Education Thread

Who are better? Male or female teachers?

• Total voters
Is this a good start to a speech?

Should the government and schools provide our uniforms and stationary? In a short and sweet answer, yes. Why, you may ask? Well I will go into detail about that now. Today I will be telling you why schools should provide us with the necessary equipment. Three points I am going to discuss are: Everyone would have the correct equipment, why the school should provide us with the required equipment, and how it helps the parents financially.

Uniforms, textbooks, exercise books, pens, pencils, erasers and other equipment students require is expensive. The uniforms alone usually push prices into 3 figures, and when you add it all up, it’s a nightmare for parents. If the school and government provided the equipment to the students, then it would be supporting the parents financially. In this current economical crisis, people are struggling to get by each week. More people are losing jobs than ever before. To compound this, prices of products and services are rising, so that companies can still make a profit.

School is compulsory, right? You have to go to school until you comply with the laws that actually let you leave. If you are forced to go to school, why should you have to pay for the equipment to do so? I’m sure if I asked for a raise of hands, then most of the people in this room would rather be somewhere than here at school right now. Maybe at home, maybe at the beach, maybe down at the oval with some mates. But not in a classroom doing boring English work and getting in front of the class to talk about some random topic that they don’t even want to talk about! Schools should provide us with the gear we need, because who wants to pay for something they don’t want to go to or do?

Any more/other ideas? Obviously it's not finished yet though.

This isn't intended to be over-critical but I've taught speaking and debating.

Your introduction is basically intended to pique the audience's interest and set the context rather than ask rhetorical questions (although they can be effective). Avoid constructions like "in a short and sweet answer" and "you may ask".
Something like the below would be more effective:

The cost of uniforms and stationary can be financially crippling. In a society where education is valued surely the least the state can do is provide the means for pupils to write. In a school where pupils are barred from wearing their own clothes is it just to force additional financial burden onto parents?
The basic precept is that education must be free and open for all. This speech will outline how we can actually go about achieving that.

In your intro you say that you're going to discuss three points in a given order. You then don't do that (or not that I can recognise). Structure only works if you stick to it.
Be careful about knocking the whole concept of school; when you have to resort to calling classes "boring" it shows you are struggling. I'd also try and make the whole thing less colloquial.
Hope that helps.

Good points, thanks for that. I'm re doing the intro now.

I also mentioned that I haven't finished, that's just the start (probably about a bit over half).

You're AS now Lee correct? I wouldn't worry too much about what you got, just passing is more than enough.

I hardly set the world alight but I did enough, and that's all that needed be done.

You're AS now Lee correct? I wouldn't worry too much about what you got, just passing is more than enough.

I hardly set the world alight but I did enough, and that's all that needed be done.
Yeah, AS, got C, D, E, U.

Got a D on my History coursework which was no surprise. The teacher was a douche. This new female one (Cambridge Grad) took over our class fully in March and guess what I got in the module she taught?

120/120

If only she was there at the start.

An A, 3 B's and a C. Quite pleased with them, didn't expect the A in ICT, and it's left me with 4 subjects at the moment as that was the one I was gonna drop.

Got all As, Economics and Music very pleasing (92% and 97% respectively), Maths and Physics more borderline (81% and 80% respectively). Oh, and an A in Critical Thinking which we only do an AS in anyway. Leaves me with a decent foundation next year, which is what I wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread