Education Thread

Who are better? Male or female teachers?

• Total voters
Saltires said:
I've got a Duke of Edinburgh Silver prective expedition next weekend so i'm looking forward to that. Does anyone else to D of E in like Australia or wherever???
I do D of E. Doing my bronze award at the moment, pretty good. My practice expedition is in June sometime and then the expedition in September/October.

They do D of E at my school and are doing an expedition next weekend. I didn't do it though.

Jaztheman said:
Edexcel GCSE
Mathematics A - 1387
Paper 1 (Non-Calculator)
Foundation Tier
i suspect that this was a modified paper, i doubt they would give you a gcse paper from the past when you are yet to of covered all the stuff. BTW im currently studying higher maths for my GCSEs and Admaths :).

So basically, GCSE's are like SAT's/ACT's in England and Australia? Like standardized tests?
Never mind:
Wikipedia said:
The General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) is the name of a set of British qualifications, taken by secondary school students, at age of 14-16, and probably the highest cause of teenage suicide, in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland (in Scotland, the equivalent is the Standard Grade).
Highest source of teenage suicide? Ouch.

GCSEs are the exams you take before leaving school. SATs are overhyped exams that in the long term just detirmine how much money the school get and to give un/realistic predicted grades for your GCSEs. So bascially GCSEs decide what jobs you can get. SATs decide well nothing to be honest. also there piss easy.

PhilD123 said:
I do D of E. Doing my bronze award at the moment, pretty good. My practice expedition is in June sometime and then the expedition in September/October.

One of my cousins is a teacher that runs that at her school and she got to meet the Duke himself

duded64 said:
GCSEs are the exams you take before leaving school. SATs are overhyped exams that in the long term just detirmine how much money the school get and to give un/realistic predicted grades for your GCSEs. So bascially GCSEs decide what jobs you can get. SATs decide well nothing to be honest. also there piss easy.

Yeah too true lol

duded64 said:
i suspect that this was a modified paper, i doubt they would give you a gcse paper from the past when you are yet to of covered all the stuff. BTW im currently studying higher maths for my GCSEs and Admaths :).
Same here. I find Admaths quite hard to be honest. I'm hoping for a B in it. GCSE Maths is piss easy compared to that. I get 80 % on my worst day and easily get 90% or more most of the time.

Admaths though.....

@: Saltires - if you're in Scotland and doing GCSE's I'm guessing you're at Fettes, Stuart's Melville or Lorretto. Or in Glasgow.

Nope, I live near the border and go to a public school in Carlisle (in England). It sounds like a long way but only take 40 mins in the bus every morning - the whole way is on motorways. So many people do it that the school put on two school busses from north of the border.

duded64 said:
i suspect that this was a modified paper, i doubt they would give you a gcse paper from the past when you are yet to of covered all the stuff. BTW im currently studying higher maths for my GCSEs and Admaths.

I do Maths and Admaths for GCSE too. Well, I think I do. I am doing the normal Maths GCSE in one year (this year) and then doing some kind of additional maths next year. I have been told that the additional maths one I'm doing is higher than GCSE but I suspect they are similar.

DJ Ager said:
One of my cousins is a teacher that runs that at her school and she got to meet the Duke himself

Yeah, anyone who completes D of E gold award gets to meet the Duke in person.

Last edited:
Nah. Additional Maths is way harder than GCSE, closer to A level I suspect. We did Statistics GCSE in Year 10, and in Yr 11 we're doing Maths Higher GCSE and Admaths :eek: !!

Not if you want to be a scientist. In such a case, stats might come in useful!!

well you can say that with everything. art is useles unless your an artist. doing some statistical coursework atm BORING! :(

Then again nothing you do in Maths come in handy in the real world.

Users who are viewing this thread