England in India - Oct to Jan 2012/13

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
So the real reason India oppose DRS is now evident! How else would they be able to get Cook out :rolleyes

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Can anyone explain the crazy logic in dropping Rahane and including Rohit in this game ?

So he can score 83 runs.

So the real reason India oppose DRS is now evident! How else would they be able to get Cook out :rolleyes

How about Gambhir and Rohit dismissal then?

How good does Rohit look when he is at his best. Wish he was a bit more consistent.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
They're all terrible decisions and it just makes a further mockery of the BCCI refusal to keep up with the rest of cricket.

Think that makes four times through the two tours though that Cook has been given incorrectly out to shockers. Always gonna be tough when your best bat keeps getting given out :rolleyes

Looking at the England team I'd say it's not been the worst series ever. A decent win in the first game and successful introduction of both Root and Tredwell are two positives. Certainly can strengthen the team a lot by bringing Broad and Anderson back in for Dernbach and Bresnan (who really looks to have been figured out). Not to mention Swann back in the side to provide wicket taking ability in the middle overs and probably Trott back in to take out the collapses that were prevalent in the 2nd and 3rd games.

----------

Oh, and as for Finn. Sod all the talk about "spirit of the game" and whether it actually effects the batsman or not. He's an international bowler, stop hitting the bloody stumps in your delivery stride. He gets paid a lot of money to bowl and only bowl, there are no excuses.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Dreadful captaincy, miserable team selection, toothless bowling and mediocre batting all in one package witnessed over the course of this ODI series from England.

cerande

Club Captain
Excellent win.Rohit looks like the most classiest batsmen ever when he plays like this.
Actually England might have sorted a few things from this series.They must not look at Dernbach again,also Butler doesn't look too shoddy behind the wickets.That may prove to be Craig K's end.

Tredwell is a good bowler ,just bad luck he competes with Swann.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Very satisfying series win this! It would be apt to say that we won this series with our pacers' performance. Bhuvaneshwar, Shami have been very impressive, and suddenly Ishant Sharma is coming to the fore (probably threatened/inspired by the other two's performance?). As Dhoni mentioned, apart from one game, the conditions for all others were almost un-subcontinental and yet we beat England mostly with the fast bowlers (who England have a habit of playing well against; and we are supposed to suck with our fast bowlers).

A 4-1 series win will be highly satisfying (if the game happens at Dharmashala). But this doesn't change the fact that Fletcher HAS TO GO! Rohit with that knock might have saved himself for another 15-20 matches.:facepalm:noway Well played by Raina too.

crazyrahul

Club Cricketer
Rohit looks awesome when he bats with good form, he has got amazing technique, needs to be more consistent... but whatever, I feels terribly bad for Rahane again sitting out :facepalm Don't know whether he will get more chances in the future or not

Suresh Raina, as I said he is truly hero for the Indian team, whenever he gets enough chances, he has proved everytime. Unfortunately he had to come after number 5 everytime :rolleyes

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
They're all terrible decisions and it just makes a further mockery of the BCCI refusal to keep up with the rest of cricket.

Think that makes four times through the two tours though that Cook has been given incorrectly out to shockers. Always gonna be tough when your best bat keeps getting given out :rolleyes

Looking at the England team I'd say it's not been the worst series ever. A decent win in the first game and successful introduction of both Root and Tredwell are two positives. Certainly can strengthen the team a lot by bringing Broad and Anderson back in for Dernbach and Bresnan (who really looks to have been figured out). Not to mention Swann back in the side to provide wicket taking ability in the middle overs and probably Trott back in to take out the collapses that were prevalent in the 2nd and 3rd games

I don't count the wrong decisions but I can definitely say that it has hurt India more than England.I would say this is pretty much the same thing that has happened to England in last 2 ODI tours in India. Yes, they did win the first ODI and batted brilliantly but still did not win it convincingly. It was more like India lost it than England won it.

I don't think James Anderson is a good ODI bowler and especially when it comes to Sub-continent, he is not good at all. In comparison, Broad is much better than him in sub-continent but he is in horrible form. Again, I don't agree on Greame Swann. I think Tradewell was brilliant during middle overs and did the same job as Swann would have done or probably even better than him. Root also played the same role as Trott so I don't know if you guys are going to include both of them in the final 11.

Overall, I think even with all those players, England would have ended up with the same result.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
I don't think Jimmy's a great ODI bowler either, but he's leagues ahead of both Bresnan and Dernbach, so there's about 20 runs and a potential wicket or two missing. To suggest Swann wouldn't have made a difference is just trolling surely? The guy either goes for no runs, or he takes wickets, normally during the key middle overs period.

Not really sure Root coming in at 5-7 and then scoring a quick 57 off 49 is really the same as Trott coming in at 3 and anchoring the innings, but yeah sure, this is an India thread so sensible discusson is never based in facts :lol

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
I don't think Jimmy's a great ODI bowler either, but he's leagues ahead of both Bresnan and Dernbach, so there's about 20 runs and a potential wicket or two missing. To suggest Swann wouldn't have made a difference is just trolling surely? The guy either goes for no runs, or he takes wickets, normally during the key middle overs period.

Not really sure Root coming in at 5-7 and then scoring a quick 57 off 49 is really the same as Trott coming in at 3 and anchoring the innings, but yeah sure, this is an India thread so sensible discusson is never based in facts :lol

I don't know that u either don't read anything that I have wrote or just pretending not to understand. I said that Swann would not have done any better then Tradewell did. Tradewell was brilliant and currently the highest wicket taker in series.

Again, I think Root has pretty much anchored innings of England except the first match where he did not get to bat. In the second ODI, he alongside with KP were the only once who were looking comfortable out there. In the 3rd ODI again, because of Root, England were able to post 155. Today, he had to play an aggressive inning because he wasn't batting at 3 or 4 but he was batting at no 6. With today's inning, he showed that he is not only capable to anchor the innings but he can also pick up the pace if required. So whenever he was batting at no 4, he was actually anchoring the innings because both the openers got out cheaply. If you see the first odi and today's ODI, top 3 provided good start to England so they needed someone who can play shots and in came Samit patel and Morgen. So saying that Root wasn't anchoring the innings is silly.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Root as an anchor... consistenly made 35 from 50. Trott averages something like 45-50 odd. Not saying it would have been any different a series, but the reality is England left out most of their main bowling attack and had their best batsman triggered incorrectly for most of the series. So really, not too bad a series considering they're already planning for the next World Cup and will be going to NZ with a near enough full strength side as preperation. Swann provides lower order hitting as well as his bowling don't forget... might even have seen him and Tredwell play ;)

As highlighted today though with regards to messed up thinking by England, they basically had Dernbach hidden in the middle overs yet still going for well over 6RPO. He's a complete liability, and any team would be hard pressed to defend a decent total with him in the side scheduled to bowl 10 overs :lol

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
I don't think James Anderson is a good ODI bowler and especially when it comes to Sub-continent, he is not good at all.

They all said he wasn't a good test bowler either (in the sub-continent) before the start of the test series. We all know what happened then.

Not that I rate him highly as an ODI bowler either, but I definitely do think he would have contributed a lot more than Bresnan and Dernbach combined.

----------

Overall, I think even with all those players, England would have ended up with the same result.

Probably, though England would have given more than a good fight than the side that had turned up over the last three ODIs. Can assure you the margin of defeats would have been a lot better to look as an England fan in that case.

----------

England in New Zealand 2012-13 : Eoin Morgan and Samit Patel set for axe | Cricket News | New Zealand v England | ESPN Cricinfo

War

Chairman of Selectors
That knock should almost certainly win Joe Root a berth in the starting XI for the tour of New Zealand. Outstanding all-round talent.

Decent total from England, but I thoroughly expect India to chase this off with much comfort, considering Dernbach's starting again. Last chance salon for Bresnan too.

Ye it was a tale of two decisions today.

I wasn't too sure about Root as a one-day cricketer initially, but today's knock was very smart. Certainly should remain in the odi set-up plans.

Dernbach & Bresnan's selection sort of highlights what at times is strong clique mentally in the england camp, despite the great work they have done in recent years. Its obvious they are in their own bubble & are backing bresnan, dernbach to come good even though fans & media can see they are finished.

Not axing them today for Meaker & Woakes was an abysmal decision.

Last edited:

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Can only presume Dernbach keeps getting Cook out in the nets and Bresnan carries his kit bag for him or something.

Users who are viewing this thread