• Test Series Drawn, India wins ODIs

Votes: 27 19.1%
  • Test Series Drawn, England wins ODIs

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • England win both tests and ODIs

Votes: 14 9.9%

• Total voters
m_vaughan said:
That is his weapon imo. And he is more dangerous bowling to right handers than left handers, since the ball swinging back into the batsman is difficult to adjust to. But at 75mph, unless you are bowling in Australia, you give the batsman enough time to get into position.

i think the pace of zaheer kahn or nehra may trouble the english batsman but the problem with them is they wont bowl accurately and can give away silly runs

jazz said:
i think the pace of zaheer kahn or nehra may trouble the english batsman but the problem with them is they wont bowl accurately and can give away silly runs

now..is that a prediction?

Pathan will need to increase in pace because swing alone can't be effective on subcontinental pitches. Mid 130's to 140's is somewhat ideal. Kapil dev and Vaas are two examples, who did not have great pace but just good line/lenght and using the lateral movement they get early on.

cricket_lover said:
Pathan will need to increase in pace because swing alone can't be effective on subcontinental pitches. Mid 130's to 140's is somewhat ideal. Kapil dev and Vaas are two examples, who did not have great pace but just good line/lenght and using the lateral movement they get early on.

Actually that Wasim Akram style inswinger that Pathan has can be extremely effective if he is a tad quicker through the air and decieves the batsman. He certainly needs to work on his muscles a bit and produce the delivery the batsman is not expecting.

sohummisra said:
More than a lot! He needs to continue improving.

Yeah he needs to work out a lot. The only think is that Pathan sometime is lucky to pick up wickets and sometimes not.

jazz said:

Sorry but are you referring to their variation in pace or the high speeds they can reach, because from what I've seen and can remember of Nehra he's no more than a medium-pacer who swings it quite a bit. Correct me if I'm wrong...

James219 said:
Sorry but are you referring to their variation in pace or the high speeds they can reach, because from what I've seen and can remember of Nehra he's no more than a medium-pacer who swings it quite a bit. Correct me if I'm wrong...

from what i can remeber both bowlers where reaching 90mph in the world cup 2003 i don't know if that pace was temporary but it was effective on the south african pitches. i don't know if they can bowl that fast anymore or if their own pitches will help them with that pace

Oh ok sorry, I can't actually remember the speeds but i do remember Nehra destroying England's batting line-up with a 6 wicket haul in the world cup and he swung it decently. You're probably right about them or atleast Zaheer khan in his earlier days reaching 90 mph, especially on South African pitches, alot of seamers seem to bowl quick, has something to do with the altitude/air or something not completely certain.

m_vaughan said:
Lot to do before we start comparing him with Akram dont you think?

I completely agree that he has to improve a lot to be anywhere near Akram. I was just mentioning that it is the left arm bowler's in-swinger that causes most of the problems because it does not go the conventional way and comes back in. It was one of the biggest weapons Akram had and Pathan can profit himself if he gets some pace into his action and run-up.

To tell the truth, I look forward to India vs England more than India vs Pakistan.

carrick said:
To tell the truth, I look forward to India vs England more than India vs Pakistan.

Is that because of England's recent success or you've always looked forward to this series?

Users who are viewing this thread