• Test Series Drawn, England wins ODIs

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • England win both tests and ODIs

Votes: 14 9.9%

• Total voters
just read at crcinfo that sreesanth has viral fever and will not play tomorrow
so munaf will most likely replace him

sohummisra said:
I agree with Zorax on Mashud. Mashud is a pretty good keeper, as is Taibu. Anyone claiming that those keepers suck just because they don't have a good national cricket team is just showing their ignorance.

As for posts being crap, I think some of the English fans are spouting just about as much bullshit as some of the Indian fans here, its just that they are doing so more eloquently. So here I am, spouting Indian propaganda eloquently. w00t.

As for Hoggard getting Sehwag multiple times--you better hope he does so again, because none of your other bowlers really looked like troubling the Indians (except Flintoff in parts). ;) And finally, the comment about an Indian team missing Dravid, Sehwag, Kumble and Pathan being comparable to the current team.

Trescothick vs. Sehwag: Uneven contest--Sehwag has been vastly more successful and more dangerous than almost any opener in world cricket. Hayden is perhaps the only guy who has performed better and more consistently than him in the last few years.

Vaughan vs. Dravid: Just because they're captains? Dravid's got almost double the amount of runs as Vaughan, his average is 15 runs greater and he's got 7 more centuries. Statistics aside, Dravid has been the backbone of the Indian batting line-up for a long time now. A more apt replacement for Vaughan is Laxman--average is about similar and they are equally (in)consistent with a few big scores.

Giles vs. Kumble: I don't think I need to elaborate. I don't think we even have a Giles like player in our team. Nope, we don't have a "spinner" that we depend on to relieve the fast bowlers.

Jones vs. Pathan: Perhaps the only relevant comparison. Pathan's swing has been as dangerous as Jones' swing in recent times.

So, and ignoring the fact that is is pretty stupid in the first place to compare players of different teams because each team has a different type of set-up and way of playing, the Indian team you mentioned is significantly weaker than the current England team. That's all for today. And don't make patronizing comments: just because you think you're right doesn't make you right. :)

I wasn't referring to their abilities, just the players who play in each team.

A spinner for a spinner was my emphasis nothing on ability.

newzolt said:
I Would like to point here that Indians are more professional than there English counterparts as far as representing your country is concerned.In the last few years there have been many instances of the English and Australian cricketers leaving the tour for "personal" reasons.Show me one instance in the recent past where Indians have done this.Here are a few examples that the Indians take their jobs quiet seriously.Dravid got the news of his becoming father when he was on tour,he continued the tour.In the world cup 1999 in England Tendulkar got the shocking sad news of his father's demise yet he did not leave the team.Amazing commitment.
Now if the English team is depleted due to some "personal" reasons they themselves are to be accounted for that.(Keep aside the injuries side)

Personal reasons are that, personal none of your business!

Do you include McGrath in that?

A man whose wife has got her 3rd bout cancer, professionalism doesn't come into it.

Sureshot said:
Personal reasons are that, personal none of your business!

Do you include McGrath in that?

A man whose wife has got her 3rd bout cancer, professionalism doesn't come into it.
I have allready clarified this in the subsequent post.Please do not take this "personal" issue so personally.I agree they are valid reasons.I suppose this should end this point here.

You are the one who started the "professionalism" thing.

Anyways I disagree with the article posted by sohummisra. If India do have so many good spinners (in Sivaji park or wherever), how come we have seen just two (Harbhajan Singh and Anil Kumble) in the past 10-15 years who have been anywhere near international standard. Even with Harbhajan, he has yet to deliver outside the subcontinent. Something world class spinners like Muralitharan, Shane Warne, and Anil Kumble have achieved.

I think people rate spinners just on the basis of the amount of turn they can produce. But as Anil Kumble and Daniel Vettori have proved, variation in pace, flight, line and direction can get you enough wickets.

m_vaughan said:
You are the one who started the "professionalism" thing.
Yes i started it but not in the meaning some guys deciphered it to be as i never intended to hit the wrong note.

latest news-Kaif dropped from playing11

Mohali pitch -here's what the curator has to say:Overnight rains has increased the levels of moisture and humidity which will aid the seamers, curator of the PCA stadium Daljit Singh said.
"The weather has suddenly changed. If it rains tonight as well, we would have to see how much sweating is there on the track," Daljit said. "Certainly the moisture and humidity levels have increased. And it will help the seamers on the first two days," he said. After the first Test ended in a draw at Nagpur, the focus has now shifted on the the 22-yard strip at Mohali and Daljit vouched the pitch would produce a result.

Last edited:
Surprised they dropped Kaif tbh.

I'd like to see Plunkett in for Blackwell.

Also Read for Jones but that won't happen.

Sureshot said:
Surprised they dropped Kaif tbh.

I'd like to see Plunkett in for Blackwell.

Also Read for Jones but that won't happen.
Unfortunately for Kaif he's come up against Laxman for a spot in the team, with Laxman having a history of big scores it's a no brainer. Yuvraj is the best of the three and rightly takes his place in the line up.

Plunkett is an interesting point, to be honest, he's too inexperienced for my liking. He takes wickets but goes for runs, whereas Blackwell attempts to tie batsman down, I think Blackwell deserves another chance, but if it's green then obviously go seam.

Read has choked far too often in the Test matches he's played. He's not good enough with the bat and in my opinion this issue should be raised no more.

m_vaughan said:
Anyways I disagree with the article posted by sohummisra. If India do have so many good spinners (in Sivaji park or wherever), how come we have seen just two (Harbhajan Singh and Anil Kumble) in the past 10-15 years who have been anywhere near international standard. Even with Harbhajan, he has yet to deliver outside the subcontinent. Something world class spinners like Muralitharan, Shane Warne, and Anil Kumble have achieved.
A few very good underused Indian spinners:
Rahul Sanghvi
Murali Kartik
Ramesh Powar
Ananthapadmanabhan
Kanwaljit Singh
Amit Mishra
Sairaj Bahutule
Sarandeep Singh
Vijay Bharadwaj

And all these spinners could easily make it into the English team. So, I agree with Najot Singh Sidhu when he says spinners like Panesar are a dime a dozen in India.

What makes you think players like Rahul Sanghvi and Sairaj Bahutule will make it into the English team?

Are they of anyuse outside the subcontinent? What good are they on wickets that dont turn?

Thats where your other abilities that I mentioned above come into action. The fact that Monty Panesar has such a good record on English pitches shows that he is just the man England needed.

Monty Panesar could easily have a good record because the batsmen he bowled too are mainly dunces against spin...

ZoraxDoom said:
Monty Panesar could easily have a good record because the batsmen he bowled too are mainly dunces against spin...

If thats so, why didn't harbahjan singh destroy the county circuit when he played for Surrey a couple of years ago?

MUFC1987 said:
Read has choked far too often in the Test matches he's played. He's not good enough with the bat and in my opinion this issue should be raised no more.

I suppose you're right. A first class average of just under 50 since he was dropped by England is just plain crap compared to Jones' average of 30 in the same period.

I don't get why Sachin Tendulkar is rated as a good player of Spin. In his last two tests against England, he's been out to Monty Panesar for his first Test wicket and bowled my Michael Vaughan!

andrew_nixon said:
I suppose you're right. A first class average of just under 50 since he was dropped by England is just plain crap compared to Jones' average of 30 in the same period.
Would you care to quote Chris Read's Test match batting average? I'll tell you what, I'll have a go. It's 15, or maybe it's 15.3, I'll tell you what, I'll give him 15.5 round it up a bit. Hardly impressive is it?

By the way, 'Choke' referred to big games, such as Test matches, not county matches.

Users who are viewing this thread