• Test Series Drawn, India wins ODIs

Votes: 27 19.1%
  • Test Series Drawn, England wins ODIs

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • England win both tests and ODIs

Votes: 14 9.9%

• Total voters
guys is dhoni a sikh or a hindu?
i thought he was a sikh at first but then saw on zee news that story about the guru swami giving him some documents!!

stevie said:
What?! Do you seriously believe the Indian batsmen would allow him to have a good debut! Did Tendulkar, Dravid and Kaif let him get them out so he could feel good about himself? I think you speak alot of sense on the whole, Sohum, but I can't believe you've just said that!

According to Sky Sports News, there are two pitches being prepared. One is grassy and the other looks very dusty and dry...

Whooo... I was just typing that and I see you posting abt the pitches. Personally I feel India should select the green wicket. Would let them get used to such wickets. But I have a feeling Dravid might go for the dusty pitch! Losing to a injury depleted England side at home would be dangerous for captain and coach in a cricket crazy country like India!

gambino said:
i thought he was a sikh at first but then saw on zee news that story about the guru swami giving him some documents!!

Are you looking for some personal relationship with Dhoni?

Seriously why do you need to know such unnecessary facts? He is an Indian, thats all.

gambino said:

He's Hindu. Now any objection.

stevie said:
What?! Do you seriously believe the Indian batsmen would allow him to have a good debut! Did Tendulkar, Dravid and Kaif let him get them out so he could feel good about himself? I think you speak alot of sense on the whole, Sohum, but I can't believe you've just said that!
I believe you did misinterpret my words. Tendulkar, Dravid and Kaif did not gift their wickets away to Panesar--he was good enough to earn them under certain circumstances. These circumstances involved playing the new bowler with a lot of caution, perhaps even overcautiously. This is not a new fad with Indian batsmen, especially not Tendulkar. Tendulkar treats bowlers he has not faced before with a tremdendous amount of respect. Even with Botha debuted his off-spin in India, they did not take the attack to him.

Having got their bearings against Panesar, I feel they will play him much more positively in the next match. Panesar also took a very defensive approach (flat balls, for example) because he was playing his first game and did not want to give away runs. Hence he did not pick up as many wickets. From what I read on cricinfo, even the wickets he did get were ones that ripped, a rarity on the pitch they played on.

That said, Panesar will probably fetch a few more wickets if he gets the batsmen to play shots. All I'm trying to say is that although Panesar put in a decent performance, I don't think he put in an amazing one. As far as the future holds, he may well go on to become the most successful left-arm spinner. As for the present, he is probably eons better than Giles, and it was a positive move for England to draft him in. The Indians should probably try and mimick that move by bring Chawla in to the scene. However, I doubt we will take the risk of bowling two leg-spinners in tandem, even if one is double the age of the other! But if we do, it'll be great because Kumble will be able to offer valuable tips to Chawla, on-field.

m_vaughan said:
Blackwell, though I agree that he might not be a good choice for test matches, can be considered as a very important player for the one dayers. You DO NOT have to be a good turner of the ball in the one day game. Also Blackwell did outplay some of the other England players in the two warm-up games.

And coming back to the Bell incident, I dont see why he cant outscore Sehwag. Sehwag is dangerous if he gets going. Note the "IF".

Finally, I still think India are favourites to win the test series, simply because England are playing without one of their most influential bowlers and two of their most successful batsmen. But England must have played really well to have a drawn a test match with India in India, after fielding three debutants in the match.

Blackwell could be a good ODI player, but as he is not a regular feature in the ODI side and as i dont see him becoming one there's not much use of talking about that. Anyways, his bowling is not Test standard. I dont think he will manage even 10 Test wickets in his career.

Yea.., Sehwag is dangerous only IF he gets going. Is Bell or any other batsman dangerous IF he doesnt get going?????. So far Bell also hasnt got going for that matter. Anyways, Bell has to go a long way and score many more great innings to be considered an equal to Sehwag.The fact is that, at this present moment Sehwag is a much more accomplished batsman than Bell.

Finally,India would have been the favourites for this Test series even if England fielded a full strenght side. That's because according to ICC tables both are equally matched and as India has home advantege they should naturally be the avourites. If the series was in England, then England would be favourites. To add to that, considering India's great home record and how England have historically struggled against India, I would confidently say that India would have been the favourites against a full strenght English side.

JamesyJames3 said:
In response to the first paragraph, your forgetting Monty, so thats 3 of our 4 bowlers. So saying none bar .... is rather stupid.

In response to the second par, Jones is a better bowler than Pathan. Pathan is good, but I doubt he would get in the England bowling line up if the tables were turned.

Pathans bowling is more comparable to Hoggard's than to Jones's considering that bith are very effective with the new ball and have similar pace. And I would rate both of them equal as far as bowling goes. Considering the fact that Pathan can bat very well, and is fourth on the ICC all rounders table, he should easily find a place in any team. Evem australia, in place of Watson or Hogg.( Considering he is both a better bowler and batsman than Watson).

sohummisra said:
I believe you did misinterpret my words. Tendulkar, Dravid and Kaif did not gift their wickets away to Panesar--he was good enough to earn them under certain circumstances. These circumstances involved playing the new bowler with a lot of caution, perhaps even overcautiously. This is not a new fad with Indian batsmen, especially not Tendulkar. Tendulkar treats bowlers he has not faced before with a tremdendous amount of respect. Even with Botha debuted his off-spin in India, they did not take the attack to him.

Having got their bearings against Panesar, I feel they will play him much more positively in the next match. Panesar also took a very defensive approach (flat balls, for example) because he was playing his first game and did not want to give away runs. Hence he did not pick up as many wickets. From what I read on cricinfo, even the wickets he did get were ones that ripped, a rarity on the pitch they played on.

That said, Panesar will probably fetch a few more wickets if he gets the batsmen to play shots. All I'm trying to say is that although Panesar put in a decent performance, I don't think he put in an amazing one. As far as the future holds, he may well go on to become the most successful left-arm spinner. As for the present, he is probably eons better than Giles, and it was a positive move for England to draft him in. The Indians should probably try and mimick that move by bring Chawla in to the scene. However, I doubt we will take the risk of bowling two leg-spinners in tandem, even if one is double the age of the other! But if we do, it'll be great because Kumble will be able to offer valuable tips to Chawla, on-field.

Well said.., India have always played debutant bowlers cautiously. And in that process have always gifted them wickets and made them look better than they are.( I'm not saying that Panesar is not good. I'm only saying that it's too early to say. Anyways, he is much better than any other spinner England have now.) I remember a guy named Adam Sanford from our last tour to the carribean. Picked up a few wickets against us in his debut series and was hailed as a great find. From there, he has gradually faded into oblivion.

varunvgiri said:
Blackwell could be a good ODI player, but as he is not a regular feature in the ODI side and as i dont see him becoming one there's not much use of talking about that. Anyways, his bowling is not Test standard. I dont think he will manage even 10 Test wickets in his career.

Yea.., Sehwag is dangerous only IF he gets going. Is Bell or any other batsman dangerous IF he doesnt get going?????. So far Bell also hasnt got going for that matter. Anyways, Bell has to go a long way and score many more great innings to be considered an equal to Sehwag.The fact is that, at this present moment Sehwag is a much more accomplished batsman than Bell.

Finally,India would have been the favourites for this Test series even if England fielded a full strenght side. That's because according to ICC tables both are equally matched and as India has home advantege they should naturally be the avourites. If the series was in England, then England would be favourites. To add to that, considering India's great home record and how England have historically struggled against India, I would confidently say that India would have been the favourites against a full strenght English side.

Pathans bowling is more comparable to Hoggard's than to Jones's considering that bith are very effective with the new ball and have similar pace. And I would rate both of them equal as far as bowling goes. Considering the fact that Pathan can bat very well, and is fourth on the ICC all rounders table, he should easily find a place in any team. Evem australia, in place of Watson or Hogg.( Considering he is both a better bowler and batsman than Watson).

Well said.., India have always played debutant bowlers cautiously. And in that process have always gifted them wickets and made them look better than they are.( I'm not saying that Panesar is not good. I'm only saying that it's too early to say. Anyways, he is much better than any other spinner England have now.) I remember a guy named Adam Sanford from our last tour to the carribean. Picked up a few wickets against us in his debut series and was hailed as a great find. From there, he has gradually faded into oblivion.

I agree.

India will remain favourites, no matter what team England come up with. I thought they handled Flintoff and Hamirson quite well, though Hoggard was outstanding. India always had the habit of playing the debutants carefully, and it wasn't a big surprise for me when they struggled a bit against Panesar and Co.
Now thats past, and i'm still banking on the batting line-up to score big against their spin/pace combo. The major worry India should have is their pace attack, they might be tempted to play with three pacers, and a lone spinner in Kumble.

Comparing Jones with Pathan is stupid indeed...very baseless. Jones is reasonably fast and does not get a great deal of swing, when you compare HOggard and Pathan.
Pathan will need to spend time in the nets, getting his pace up. Yes, if he continues with this pace, he'll get whacked in English/Aussie conditions.

The interesting thing to wait for, though, is to see what the Indian team is going to be. Will the continue with Kaif/Laxman?

I Would like to point here that Indians are more professional than there English counterparts as far as representing your country is concerned.In the last few years there have been many instances of the English and Australian cricketers leaving the tour for "personal" reasons.Show me one instance in the recent past where Indians have done this.Here are a few examples that the Indians take their jobs quiet seriously.Dravid got the news of his becoming father when he was on tour,he continued the tour.In the world cup 1999 in England Tendulkar got the shocking sad news of his father's demise yet he did not leave the team.Amazing commitment.
Now if the English team is depleted due to some "personal" reasons they themselves are to be accounted for that.(Keep aside the injuries side)

Last edited:
newzolt said:
I Would like to point here that Indians are more professional than there English counterparts as far as representing your country is concerned.In the last few years there have been many instances of the English and Australian cricketers leaving the tour for "personal" reasons.Show me one instance in the recent past where Indians have done this.Here are a few examples that the Indians take their jobs quiet seriously.Dravid got the news of his becoming father when he was on tour,he continued the tour.In the world cup 1999 in England Tendulkar got the shocking sad news of his father's demise yet he did not leave the team.Amazing commitment.
Now if the English team is depleted due to some "personal" reasons they themselves are to be accounted for that.(Keep aside the injuries side)

I'm not having a go at you, just, what do you think about McGrath's staying home instead of playing in South Africa so as to be with his wife? (shes just been diognosed with Cancer for the third time)

I think personal reasons are very valid. Cricketers are above all human beings with emotions. There should be no strict judgment made on cricketers who leave the tour to be with their family/friends during hard times. You may be abandoning your country, but you have to agree that you have a much more real relationship with people you have grown up or spent a lot of time with than with a name given to a society of people in the same geographic vicinity.

tsyrmas said:
I'm not having a go at you, just, what do you think about McGrath's staying home instead of playing in South Africa so as to be with his wife? (shes just been diognosed with Cancer for the third time)

totally agree. Cricket is not everything for players, personal reasons are very much valid. If Trescothick's position wasn't valid, i'm sure they would have convinced him to stay. Same goes with any other player.

tsyrmas said:
That's perfectly ok and it is humane and all of us are ultimately humans.Plz do not take it in wrong sense.I was just emphasising the way Indians have come out in recent past.I understand that it's a very sensitive matter.Maybe Sachin is a bit above the rest that he can put a brave front inspite of the huge personal loss to him.I would appreciate if you could comment on Sachin's stand in the world cup.
If anyone is hurt by my statements i duly apologise and wish to clarify that it was not the intention.

Last edited:
avk2love said:
is munaf in the starting XI
Now a days team tactics including the final playing 11 are closed door decisions and no one except the coach and captain can confirm it before the start of the play.

UP's 20-year-old RP Singh who had a great series against Pakistan picking up wickets in both forms of the game is a bowler on the rise. His accurate line and length has impressed everyone. The left-armer deviates the ball and keeps a steady off-stump length. It's time to give him a long rope, if the new mantra is to pick a player on form then RP Singh shouldn't have been dropped in the first place. Sometimes the Indian time management sends contradictory signals which can confuse even themselves.
Another UP bowler Piyush Chawla is waiting in the wings. He was on the fringe of an India-call up for a long time. Jus like Harbhajan who made his debut at the age of seventeen; Piyush too is all of seventeen. It's no secret England struggle against Leg-spinner ask Warne! Just like Monty Panesar who looks confident and hardworking mainly because of the England team management's approach towards the young Durham bowler, Piyush too could prosper if he is given a breakthrough now, added responsibility will only make him a better bowler but is anyone in the Indian team management interested?

Users who are viewing this thread