• Test Series Drawn, India wins ODIs

Votes: 27 19.1%
  • Test Series Drawn, England wins ODIs

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • England win both tests and ODIs

Votes: 14 9.9%

• Total voters
Sureshot said:
So then if it's going to rain tomorrow do i bother getting up at 4:30 AM?

If I were you, I wouldn't. :laugh You can save that sleep for the next day maybe.

Very unlikely that this test match will have anything but a draw in store for us. Especially with the ICC regulation that a maximum of one hour of play can be made up per day. It's going into day 3, still cloudy, with the first innings still in progress. The only way this match will see a result is if both teams forfeit an innings. And I don't see that happening--there is too much pending on this match. However, it would be a positive move if the captains did decide to do this.

saisrini80 said:
India should win and win comprehensively in Mumbai if they have to avoid the media giving England this moral victory. In 2002, England were given a moral victory and Nasser Hussain was praised for leading England to a 1-0 defeat against india! We should not make that happen.

The English Media has already awarded the Series to Flintoff. According to them England have already endured tremendous hardship namely hot weather, injuries to half the team, dead wickets etc. Flintoff is already a hero for leading a B-Team to a draw against India.

s2sschan said:
The English Media has already awarded the Series to Flintoff. According to them England have already endured tremendous hardship namely hot weather, injuries to half the team, dead wickets etc. Flintoff is already a hero for leading a B-Team to a draw against India.

Will take only a single comprehensive defeat by India on England for that to change!

is it raining today?

EDIT: It looks like no rain today.

Last edited:
s2sschan said:

indeed, a spirited performance in the first test. But take nothing away from India though, sometimes in cricket, what you expect do not always happen.

hot weather? not really, especially in Mohali and last days in Nagpur.
dead wickets? that should help the English! no help for spin/pace and they still have the best(one of the best) pace attack in the world.

It isn't raining at the moment, and play should start in 25 mins. The forecast however predicts rain in the afternoon-evening-night, so the whole day. I hope it is wrong but you'll never know.

India would like to make early inroads in the English team, they'll rely on Kumble and Bhajji now.

Play has started....and Flintoff dropped! Dravid is not having the best of times in the slip cordon.

Last edited:
barmyarmy said:
I'd call shouldering arms to a ball that is going on to hit the stumps when there are no close fielders poor batting yes.
I haven't seen the Collingwood wicket.
Cook missed a straight and full one: it didn't move off the pitch or in the air.

Well, according to your standards, less than 1% wickets in world cricket will be due to good bowling.

A ball can be classified as good ball if it was good enough to make an error in the batsmans judgement. The Cook, Bell and Collingwood dismissals were due to errors in juging the ball. So they are good balls. Kumble decieved the batsman completely both times.

FishBowlMan said:
Not sure I agree with the first point. Reverse swing (and regular swing come to that) is down to the condition of the ball and the overhead conditions (cloud, humitity etc.) As the swing takes effect before the ball pitches, the state of the pitch is irrelevant.

A dry, flaky pitch definitely helps the spinners later in the game though.

Reverse swing also depends on the balls condition. One side has to get roughed up pretty quickly while the other side is reasonably well preserved. In a dry pitch it is easier for this to happen.

Chawla got hit by Flintoff twice for 2 huge SIXERS. We need Munaf back.

Dravid hasnt been using Chawla well at all. Not bowling him for a long time after his first spell would have dented his confidence which is showing in his bowling. Dravid has to remember that Chawla is just a 17 year old with very limited first class experience.

Last edited:
Kratz said:
Chawla got hit by Flintoff twice for 2 huge SIXERS. We need Munaf back.

Spot on, Munaf picks up Fredo. This is India's chance to restrict England but last time round England's tail wagged.

This session belongs to England. They survived well. But Munaf made the most important breakthrough of Flintoff. His first two wickets in international wicket are caught and bowled's. He has a good reaction time for taking such catches! Its never easy for a bowler with the pace of Munaf to react quickly to catch the ball.

I thought Jones survived against Kumble. One ball which was a wrong'un from Kumble, I though it was going to hit leg stump. Hawk eye said height was a factor, but this was a low pitch with very less bounce. So I thought it was OUT!

If India can come back after lunch and restrict England to less than 350, satisfactory! If England cross 350, they will feel very happy!

varunvgiri said:
Dravid hasnt been using Chawla well at all. Not bowling him for a long time after his first spell would have dented his confidence which is showing in his bowling. He has to remember that Chawla is just a 17 year old with very limited first class experience.

Chawla did nothing wrong. He was hit by two hard hitters in international cricket, Pietersen and Flintoff. Sad for the boy on debut, but I expect him to learn from this experience.

One or two tests is enough for Chawla. He can then go back to domestic cricket and keep improving.

saisrini80 said:
Chawla did nothing wrong. He was hit by two hard hitters in international cricket, Pietersen and Flintoff. Sad for the boy on debut, but I expect him to learn from this experience.

One or two tests is enough for Chawla. He can then go back to domestic cricket and keep improving.

I'm not saying that Chawla did anything wrong. Just saying that Dravid should have handled him much better. He should have been given more overs and that huge gap between his two spells might have effected his confidence.

varunvgiri said:
Reverse swing also depends on the balls condition. One side has to get roughed up pretty quickly while the other side is reasonably well preserved. In a dry pitch it is easier for this to happen.
All swing depends on the ball's condition - as you rightly say with a polished side and a rough side. The ball generally will not reverse swing as much if it is wet. With covered wickets, pitches these days are dry - certainly compared to the outfield - even some of the green tracks we have here in England. Both of the pitches that were available for this match would be considered as dry pitches. One may have been slightly greener than the other, but I don't believe this would affect the condition of the ball significantly. The ball will be damaged more by being hit hard, rolling on damp outfield and clattering into boundary boards etc.

Bear in mind that people like Waqar will produce significant reverse swing even on a damp, cold day in England in april on green pitches.

alfa_beta said:
In cricket, or in any sport, there is no moral victory or moral victors - there are only winners or losers. As for England's 2001 tour, Eng lost the series 2-1 and were outplayed. In fact England were so confident of being beaten that they resorted to negative tactics like bowling wide of stumps (leg or off) and setting defensive fields and so on. So am not sure what sort of moral victory are you talking about.

Say this to some Mr.Cullinan about Warne.Greatest example about moral victory

varunvgiri said:
I'm not saying that Chawla did anything wrong. Just saying that Dravid should have handled him much better. He should have been given more overs and that huge gap between his two spells might have effected his confidence.

That reply of mine wasnt in counter to your post! I was saying a general opinion that Chawla did nothing wrong today

Users who are viewing this thread