Votes: 15 10.6%
  • Test Series Drawn, India wins ODIs

Votes: 27 19.1%
  • Test Series Drawn, England wins ODIs

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • England win both tests and ODIs

Votes: 14 9.9%

• Total voters
Just got a message from my mate in Mohali. Terrential rain since the close of play. Still ongoing! He doesn't think much play if any tomorrow. Draw if he is right.

Adarsh said:
It's because batsmen usually treat him as a medium pace bowler and when he occasionally gets it to turn a little, they are bamboozled. Also, the ball to Bell was a good one. He deceived the batsman with his variation. I'd call that good bowling, also helped by poor batting.

I also remember when Bell left a slider from Warne in the Ashes. That too was good bowling.

He doesn't turn the ball much, rather he bowls it within the line, so turn isn't very important. A slight turn would always help, and his googlies are lethal.
He decieved the batsmen, both times. Poor batting, may be...in Bell's case. But poor batting was caused by some intelligent bowling.

Short Series

newzolt said:
The weather forecast doesn't seem to be in favour of a result.Most probably a draw unless the teams go all out for a result.
Weather report:http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/INXX0185.html

This series is going to be reduced to a Dead Heat on Bombay's Dustbowl.
A 3 Test Series is too short. We need at least 4 Tests when we play high profile sides like Australia, Pakistan, and England.

I think Bell just didn't read the ball. From that angle, Kumble was getting slight deviation away from the batsman. Bell was deceived--he got out to a well disguised top-spinner. With Cook's dismissal, that was Irfan Pathan's variation. He usually gets the ball to swing away. Cook was playing for the ball that goes awa, hence his head was all over the place. Again, deceived by the variation. Collingwood got a brilliant delivery. That is the type of delivery that is going to get a batsman out whether he is McGrath or Tendulkar. Pietersen tried to force a ball which was slightly shorter than he expected. Good job from Munaf for bowling the correct lines.

I think Strauss was the ONLY wicket that was gifted away. For the other wickets, the bowler did do something, even if it was just stifling the runs.

s2sschan said:
A 3 Test Series is too short. We need at least 4 Tests when we play high profile sides like Australia, Pakistan, and England.

When India tours England, they play 4 tests, same with Australia. Aus play 4 when the tour India. So may be they can change something, play more tests against these countries.

barmyarmy said:
Yeah, the forcast continues to be poor. Although India have been playing for a draw in this one ever since they rejected the green seaming wicket in favour of the slow, dead one.

India didnt play for a draw. Who said choosing a slow wicket means playing for a draw? A dry wicket aids reverse swing and also there are chances of this wicket aiding spin on the last two days. Nagpur turned out to be a rarity, doesnt mean Mohali should be the same!

Drewska said:
Kumble bowled to Collingwood, it didn't turn a lot (Pitched middle and leg and hit middle). Collingwood just missed it for some reason.. :confused:

It actually clipped the bails between off and middle. And for your information, the ball definitely turned. It was a great delivery from Kumble!

I said it turned. It didn't turn a lot though. He shouldn't of missed it imo. Anyway, on to tommorow (Hopefully)..

s2sschan said:

Definitely! Not even 4 tests because we want either side to take the trophy, not to share the trophy in a 2-2

Anyways, the last series btw India and Pakistan was a final test shootout with the home team winning. Here, it is all set to the same as in the final test will be the shootout. Will the home team again triumph here? India should win and win comprehensively in Mumbai if they have to avoid the media giving England this moral victory. In 2002, England were given a moral victory and Nasser Hussain was praised for leading England to a 1-0 defeat against india! We should not make that happen.

saisrini80 said:
Definitely! Not even 4 tests because we want either side to take the trophy, not to share the trophy in a 2-2

Anyways, the last series btw India and Pakistan was a final test shootout with the home team winning. Here, it is all set to the same as in the final test will be the shootout. Will the home team again triumph here? India should win and win comprehensively in Mumbai if they have to avoid the media giving England this moral victory. In 2002, England were given a moral victory and Nasser Hussain was praised for leading England to a 1-0 defeat against india! We should not make that happen.

In cricket, or in any sport, there is no moral victory or moral victors - there are only winners or losers. As for England's 2001 tour, Eng lost the series 2-1 and were outplayed. In fact England were so confident of being beaten that they resorted to negative tactics like bowling wide of stumps (leg or off) and setting defensive fields and so on. So am not sure what sort of moral victory are you talking about.

saisrini80 said:
A dry wicket aids reverse swing and also there are chances of this wicket aiding spin on the last two days.
Not sure I agree with the first point. Reverse swing (and regular swing come to that) is down to the condition of the ball and the overhead conditions (cloud, humitity etc.) As the swing takes effect before the ball pitches, the state of the pitch is irrelevant.

A dry, flaky pitch definitely helps the spinners later in the game though.

harbajan lost his form
after getting smacked by afrdi in test matches
i hope he gets his old form back :cool:

alfa_beta said:
In cricket, or in any sport, there is no moral victory or moral victors - there are only winners or losers. As for England's 2001 tour, Eng lost the series 2-1 and were outplayed. In fact England were so confident of being beaten that they resorted to negative tactics like bowling wide of stumps (leg or off) and setting defensive fields and so on. So am not sure what sort of moral victory are you talking about.

What the crap are you talking abt?

Check this

http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2001-02/ENG_IN_IND/

In 2001-02 when Nasser Hussain's men came to india for their last tour before the current one, they were beaten only 1-0, not 2-1. And they were not beaten fair and square. Apart from the first test where India won by 10 wickets, the second test England set a target of 374 runs which india had to play out for a draw. In the third test, England got nearly a 100 run first innings lead and then did not complete their second innings.

Moral victory is not what is given to a team officially. But people talk about moral victories and how one team gives the other a scare!

FishBowlMan said:
Not sure I agree with the first point. Reverse swing (and regular swing come to that) is down to the condition of the ball and the overhead conditions (cloud, humitity etc.) As the swing takes effect before the ball pitches, the state of the pitch is irrelevant.

A dry, flaky pitch definitely helps the spinners later in the game though.

Its also partly down to the pitch. ON a dry abrasive pitch as the ones spotted at Nagpur and the current one at Mohali, if the bowler is intelligent, he can roughen up one side of the ball by making that side hit the pitch more often. The dry pitch then roughens that side of the ball making one side more shinier than the other, thus aiding reverse swing. But pitch has only a mild part to play in it. But when the pitch is not dry, its certainly more tougher to reverse the ball.

P.s: Thats what my knowledge of reverse swing tells me!

Sureshot said:
So then if it's going to rain tomorrow do i bother getting up at 4:30 AM?

I am getting myself fit to watch the third test at Mumbai since I have lost sleep over the last two days waiting for play to start! :p

Users who are viewing this thread